View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 5:20 AM

Now that’s what I’m talking about! That rendering with the Container Bar and Bungalow takes this to a different level imo. I think features like that are a “Keep Austin Weird” homage. I mean what other flashy high-rise literally carves out a section to integrate programmed elements like that?

If they can actually execute this, then that should be commended. I like when architecture and buildings tell a story, and what this communicates is so interesting. It’s blending the future with the past. Any onlookers unfamiliar with Austin, maybe someone visiting the city for the first time and staying at this hotel, will immediately wonder why a Bungalow House is sitting on the second floor of a new high-rise building.

And it delivers authenticity. It’s not a developer taking a white box retail approach. I’m surprised how little love the Container Bar is getting, I know the versatile use of Containers as food carts, pop-up shops, and micro-living are a thing now, but when this was built, that trend was far from mainstream.

This is a very ambitious project by Burns. As others have noted, he’ll need a seasoned developer to partner with, especially when it comes to securing the requisite financing. I’d think the partner would be local, maybe Endeavor or Aspen Heights.