View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 10:47 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Well no, he said that if the price was high enough he would change his behavior. So it would work, we just have to find the right price.

The best alternative to carbon taxation is to not bother doing anything as other solutions will be more expensive.
Do you know the single one thing that would actually influence both my choice of vehicle and the number of vehicles we own ? Where we live. There's zero incentive to either reduce the number of cars we have or the size of them in Edmonton. Transit here is a joke, I have ample parking at home, free heated underground parking at work downtown and our parkade can easily accommodate a large SUV or truck. Fuel is cheap, roads are not congested, and you can be anywhere in the city within a half hour in a car.

If I were to be transferred to Vancouver, and want to maintain a similar proximity to work (~10 minutes commute) I'd probably be managing a property downtown, so all of a sudden there's no way we'd have three cars. One, tops. And maybe I'd stash my old Volvo at one of my friend's places up the valley and go take it for a burn every once in a while. And I doubt we'd have something as big as either the truck or SUV we have now.