View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 8:44 PM

It's Sunday, so I thought I'd let Julius Shulman take us to the movies. This is "Job Laszlo-26: Crenshaw Theater, 1942". The main feature is the 1938 Charles Laughton movie Ruggles of Red Gap, but you can also see the 1941 Ellery Queen and the Perfect Crime with Ralph Bellamy (for some reason missing the word "Ellery" from the marquee).

The whole place really lights up at night. The posters on the left are for the 1941 movies Sing Another Chorus and We Go Fast. The prices are: General admission 22¢; Juniors 17¢; Children 11¢.

I've included this detail view so I can return to a couple of the background objects below.

Here's the auditorium. According to cinematreasures.org, there was seating for 800.

The last shot shows the exit.

All from Getty Research Institute

The detail view above shows a drive-in with "Good Food" running down the pylon in neon. I posted a blurry aerial view of Scrivners Drive-In in post #18935. I'm not sure if this is the Scrivners at 3060 Crenshaw Boulevard, but it looks pretty close.

We Had Faces Then on flickr

GaylordWilshire posted some 1958 crime scene pictures of the Crenshaw Theater in post #3262. At that time it was known as the L.A. Jazz Concert Theater. Could the sign on the left below be the same R H Malone Co, Realtors sign that's visible in the detail view above (the full image shows an "O" on the far left)? GW's post also includes a small version of the second photo above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
As GW showed us before, the theater is still standing at 3020 Crenshaw Boulevard.

GSV