View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I saw something recently bringing to light as to why we don't have sheltered bus stops? There was a picture of a sheltered bus stop in Chicago as an example that was really nice and was the length of a bus. You know I would use the bus more often if I didn't have to sit in the hot sun or get stuck in a downpour with little or no cover at all. Especially with our summers, we should have better stops. Cap Metro stops are little more than an afterthought.
If you just mean overhead shade, CapMetro is (slowly) adding them. But they're an expense (not just initial capital, but in upkeep) and they can't afford them for every one of the literally thousands of stops they have.

If you mean the fully enclosed shelters that they have in other climates. It's not nearly as practical. In colder climates, simply enclosing the shelter protects against cold (especially with the addition of body heat). In truly cold areas, they have heated shelters, but that's a pretty simple addition (though still an added expense).
A fully enclosed shelter in Austin becomes a hot-box in the sun. So now you're talking about active cooling. Which is expensive and complicated.