View Single Post
Old Posted May 5, 2016, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I always have a hard time with new perspectives. If this is Commercial then we've never seen this part of it close up nor from this angle and never with this high res. All that said, I can't find any point of reference that I recognize. If this is Commercial then the high ground is beyond the river and the density of nice, well laid out houses seems unlike what I think of when I conjure Commercial Street this far off of Alameda. Here's an image of what I believe to be Aliso, not Alameda, (from earlier in the thread) which (as you well know) runs parallel to Commercial. If this is Aliso, this would be somewhat closer in-town but not by too much. Always hard to tell, but seems to me the houses and properties in this shot are more ramshackle and I can't really believe they'd be less so the farther you get from town and one block south on Commercial.

N. Alameda St.(?) near Commercial St. in 1924

Berkeley-Bancroft

LAPast posits this as Ducommon street. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9225 FWIW, the below Calisphere source labels the image: :"Old buildings at N. Alameda and Commercial Sts., looking towards 612 N Alameda" The image, is part of a large image collection devoted or related to "Pneumonic Plague Outbreak Sites and Rats in Los Angeles." https://calisphere.org/collections/17324/ The images are presumably from 1924-25. (There are likely other images covering the same or similar subject matter or variations of the same from other repositories, e.g., LAPL)

Rats and plague are no strangers to NLA. ER posted images from this collection as have others, for example: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=11153 Many of the previous NLA posted rat-related images are part of this collection. Some not. It is also unclear what some of the images have to do with the subject other than the general date and perhaps being in the periphery, e.g., the Grand Central Market? Here's a sm[r]attering, in no particular order. Yes, we have seen some before.

"Rat Holes"

Grand Central Mkt.

747 Lyon (Aliso) Street

Backside of

Mule Yards, Hall of Justice in distance

Jewel Stables

Ramona Stables

GasOmeters

752 S Hill Street

626 S Main

219 S Hill (Before Clean up)

219 S Hill (After)

1500 E Fourth Street

330 S Alameda

Foreman W. H. Kings sub-station crew - Chinatown crew - Apaplasa and So. Alameda Sts

Disinfection Crew - E. 6th St. and Imperial

Shacks rear of So. Alameda at Apaplasa St.

612 Alameda Tortilla Factory

Rear of 612 Alameda

Shacks

749 N Alameda

414 N Alameda "Noodle Factory"

Jackson and San Pedro Streets

Near Aliso and N. Alameda

Seventh and Central (After)

14th and Central

2039 E Seventh Street (Before)

2039 E Seventh Street (After)

First and (Rat) Central

Demolition Professionals

135 E Second Street

Jackson and San Pedro, Hotel Higoya - Japanese Section

333 N Jackson

Central and First

Frank's Restaurant

Hotel Madison

Junk yard at 8th and San Julian Strs.

Lyon (Aliso) and N. Vignes

Deconstruction Crew at 1010 W 3rd Street, Hotel Irving in background

Sanitary Poultry

344 S. Alameda Upholstery

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 6, 2016 at 6:24 PM.