View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
BifRayRock, I am sorry I failed to notice the Mile Marker in the photo of the Slow sign. Your first photo showed the back of the pedestal sign and I noticed how thick the sign was and wondered just what it said on the front. I was thinking it might be a diamond stop sig, which I have never seen one. Then low and behold there was a front view and it said SLOW. Now that has to be a back lit sign of which I have not seen before. As an Auto Club sign collector I was really excited about seeing that. I want that pedestal and sign badly as well I guess the WigWag and throw in the Mile Marker also. One of the reasons I love this site is finding things like that, not to mention all the things that are long gone. Thanks for posting.

Street sign. Notice Mile Marker. Pay no attention to train crossing signal.

Glad you noticed the interesting road marker and sign. I assume the marker was part of the so-called Bancroft System mentioned by ProphetM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post

There is one more find on this block which a lot of people are bound to miss. Directly across the street from the church, in the grass in front of a McDonald's, is a Bancroft Marker. Read about the Foothill Blvd. Milestone here. The Bancroft system was a very early road marking system. This marker was placed about 1906 and was rediscovered when the land was prepared for construction of the Mcdonald's. It is the only marker remaining in the area.

The Bancroft system measured distance along major roads from a central point. In LA County this point was the 1888 County Courthouse. The marker describes its own relative position: Mile 11 from the courthouse, block 220 out of 222. The F.B. stands for Foothill Boulevard, which is what this section of Colorado Blvd. was called at the time.