View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 9:55 PM
Registirred User

Thanks everyone for the comments and questions! Your curiosity is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Nice! I'm curious about the air quality. Since there is so much concentrated in one area (port, busy airport, city) within such tall mountains, how much smog is there?
Smog usually isn't a problem here. What does foul up the air however is sand that was left on the roads during the winter and by spring is being kicked up by cars. Every once in a long while we'll get a smog blanket from China, though very rarely. In some of the photos midway through the set, the view looks somewhat smoggy due to the remains of a sandstorm in Mongolia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I´ve always felt attraction about Alaska and Anchorage. I´d love travelling to Alaska to enjoy the beautiful landscapes you´ve got there. It must be an unforgettable experience to reach Barrow or Prudhoe Bay to see the Artic Ocean.
You should do it! There are tour services that drive people up to the Arctic Ocean from Fairbanks. If you're feeling brave, you can join the polar bear club and run into the sea (but get out quickly!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

is this 20,000' denali 200 miles away?! or is that impossible due to the curvature of the earth?

Indeed that is Denali / Mt.McKinley. I'm not sure the exact distance, but It's certainly a little less than 200 miles from town. It can only be seen from Anchorage on clear
days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Still some no man's land, eh? I think I heard life was expensive up there.
Yea the cost of living is high. Every consumer item from cars to groceries comes through the port with ships sailing from Tacoma, Washington. Bush Alaska (rural Alaska) is most famous for its cost of living as a gallon of milk has been known to cost up to $7. It's something like $2.99 in Anchorage I think.