View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 6:47 PM

I'm delighted the premier mentioned privatization. Depending on what areas they look at and how they handle it I think it could go over fine with many people. Don't forgot Eastern Health privatized Tim Hortons. How many disagreed?

As well I think many automatically think of big things being privatized, like NLC, when they hear a politician mutter privatization. The premier mentioned long term care, the private sector is already playing a huge tole here. How many long-term homes are run by the province and how many are run by the private sector?

Other areas could be the maintenance of buildings. Private companies are responsible for the operation/maintenance of federal government owned buildings in the province. I heard someone mentioned that security in the hospital will soon be run by a private company. There are lots of small areas that the private sector could be responsible for.

I would love to see an Alberta model here for getting licenses, permits and what not. Private companies are in charge of all this in Alberta and it seems as though all services are under one roof. Unlike here where you go to Mount Pearl for some stuff and elsewhere for other things. That would be a big move though and I think it would be much smarter after an election. Do that in the first year, get the controversy of it out of the way, and then people will seen how good it is by the time the next election rolls around.

I think it's also good that we may see clearer visions for each of the party, as the Liberals have spoken out on this move and the NDP would never agree. It'd be nice for the public to have three clear choices come the Fall.