View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:58 AM
Paradise Island

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
awesome. my favorite non-canada city in the winter -- best time to visit! in fact i wish i was there right now instead of stuck in our spotty east coast blizzard -- needless to say it would be nuthin but a typical day of mild hooey ha ha in msp!
I grew up in the Utica area of upstate NY. Although the Twin Cities are famous for winter we don't get anything like noreasters. One of those storms would hit Minneapolis as hard as it does the east coast. Those giant piles of snow from last winter were caused by the fact that it was below zero almost every day for two months and nothing melted. A typical Minnesota snow storm is two to eight inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
yeah, i'm always trying to place the vernacular of the twin cities. it reminds me a lot of kansas city, too, with beefier outlying urban commercial districts.
I see the Kansas City although some of the architecture is a little bit different. Similar broad styles but with different nuances. Part of what throws it too is that Minneapolis and St Paul have slightly different, overlapping vernaculars. The Victorians tie St Paul into the rest of the Midwest. You can make the argument that St Paul is just the youngest of the river cities.

In a weird way Minneapolis kind of reminds me of the old parts of LA. A lot of the old apartment buildings are similar in style, as are the outer neighborhoods of bungalows and two story craftsman. The areas around Lake St and south of it are where those similarities are the strongest. and also the bungalow belt on the north side. There is also more Spanish revival here than most of the rest of the Midwest. I should go more out of my way to photograph it. There is also some of Chicago in Minneapolis too, especially the inner neighborhood blocks in Loring Park and Stevens Square that are almost all brick walkups although the buildings are slightly more spread out here than there. I tend to see Minneapolis architecture as a hybrid of old LA, western Midwest and Chicago.