View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Have you ever wondered what the view was like from the top of the "Richfield Tower"?

This was taken shortly after it's completion in 1930.

Here's the complete pano found on ebay. (the seller didn't include a larger version of the right hand side )
This larger version is from the Library of Congress.

Library of Congress

There's an even larger version of a slightly different shot available at USC (you can zoom in much closer than this). It's also a Dick Whittington
photo from 1930, and the only variation I can see is the positioning of the cars. I've previously posted a detail of this picture when I labeled the
buildings on the Bunker Hill section of 4th Street in post #23483. Is the strange blurry shape on the far right part of the Richfield tower or part
of the equipment used to capture the image?
NB. I've fixed some of the brightness variations.

USC Digital Library

The detail below highlights the area around 7th and Grand where the "Little Giant" Garage and Casa Grande stood only a decade or so earlier. The
Wilhelm Apartments has become the Woman's Hotel, and the "Little Giant" Garage and Casa Grande have been replaced by the Security Trust &
Savings Bank. I wonder if the residents knew that Orange Street (Wilshire Boulevard) would be extended through to Grand Avenue (splitting the
blocks at the bottom of the image) the following year.

Detail of picture above.

For search purposes, the picture also shows the Knickerbocker Building, the Bank of Italy Building, the Brack Shops, the Quinby Building, the Brockman
Building, the Union Oil Building, the Criterion Theatre and the Univeristy Club.