View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
We just live in a copycat world. Someone sees a frozen yogurt store open, they open one next door to it. Or in Saint John's case, one pops up in every vacant storefront. A gas station does well on a corner, someone else will open one across the intersection from it. (I don't know who came first, but ignoring that) Bass Pro says they'll open in Moncton, Cabelas do too. We'll probably end up with 8 tea stores before they all finally collapse.
Sadly, this strategy seems all too true here. I have never seen anything like it. It's surprising more market research isn't done especially by franchises to determine if there is a need and if the owner can actually expect to make a livable wage. Case in point, Mr. Lube - personally, I hope they make a fortune but do we really need this along with the new Valvoline location.....plus all the dealers who offer the same service? How many $30 oil changes do you have to do to pay rent, franchise fees, salaries etc etc.?

I've said it before, I would rather see a lot or building sit empty until a viable business moves in rather than a constant flipping of businesses. It seems people just cross their fingers and hope!