View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

laTimes

The rock archway is still there along the Sierra Highway near Newhall.

www.elsmerecanyon.com

svchistory

This view is actually a nursery across from the rock gate. Some believe this old pair of 'monuments' (for alack of a better word) are from the old 'rock zoo'.

www.elsmerecanyon.com

My question is what happened to all the shaped rocks? Are they still on site?
__
The SCVhistory site makes no mention of the rock figures. There are some photos of the grounds, as well as the original ranch house, but no figures in sight. I suspect they're long gone. I don't drive this portion of Sierra Hwy very often, but when I do, I'll make it a point to stop by and have a look.

I do, however, question the accuracy of the LA Times article, as here's an exerpt from the scvhistory site regarding Live Oak Manor:

"Prohibitionist Henry Clay Needham bought large portions of the Rancho San Francisco, surrounding the little town of Newhall, in 1889, for the purpose of establishing a "dry colony." The idea didn't sell, but Needham became an important community leader and philanthropist in addition to being a prominent orator on the national stage, even seeking the Prohibition Party's nomination for U.S. President in 1932. He died in 1935, and in 1957 his heirs sold about 770 acres of the property........"

No mention of the figurines.

Andys