View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Back to the Subway Terminal Building, and as the main structure goes up in the background, work begins on the Subway Terminal Service Building on 4th. The former Hotel Sheldon now seems to be called the Hotel Eddy. The parking garage is on the right.

California State Library

The CSL has a whole series of construction pictures for both the Subway Terminal Building and the Subway Terminal Service Building. Here's the latter with its framework in place.

California State Library

And here it is with the exterior nearly finished.

California State Library

My original post also mentioned the fake painted windows on the back of the Subway Terminal Building. This is LAPL's caption for the picture below.

"The painted facade of the Subway Terminal Building also features a painting of the painters at work, or trompe l'oeil (trick of the eye). This is a close-up view of murals on a blank exterior wall, adding 62 painted windows as part of a $3-million restoration. Artist Jeff Greene, using silica-based mineral paint, painted the 560' x 28' mural in 1986."

LAPL

The fake windows are still there, but the fake painters have gone.
Have they? Or are they just not quite in the assumed place?

Me, taken from the south end of the plaza at the top of Angel's Flight

The old garage is on the right side of the Subway Terminal Service Building, with trompe l'oeil above it, but there is also now a garage on the left side as well, and more trompe l'oeil. There are our painters, on the left.

Here's another shot, taken from 4th St. just east of Hill:

Me again