Thread: The 401
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I too have heard of using 407 suffixes for the Durham Links. In talking to some of my friends from MTO in the past, it sounded like there were some pretty bizarre numbering proposals being floated around when the new alignment of Highway 26 opened up in Wasaga a few years ago, so hopefully there isn't a lot of weight to using suffixes.

My personal choice for the East Durham Link would be the 446. Hwy 46 was a short highway in western Victoria County, north of Lake Scugog for a number of years, which is kind of in the general vicinity. It's an unlikely choice, but I like it. Using one of the neighbouring county roads would make sense too. There isn't a Hwy 57 anywhere in the province, so it's a free number for a 400-series highway.

I don't know anything about upgrading Hwy 35, but it would, if nothing else, make sense to upgrade the section between the future 407 and the 35/115 interchange to a full freeway once the tollway is extended.
I'm not a fan of highway numerical duplication, including suffixed routes. True, there is Highway 7A and Highway 7, but those have co-existed for so long that I doubt there's confusion between them. But for future designations there should be no duplication.

County/Regional Roads also cause some confusion, particularly for average drivers who don't notice the difference between the flowerpot shape and the crown or shield shapes. There may not be much point in making changes now, however.