View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
As circumstances may have warranted, e.g., increased demand, the USP office designated a main office and annexes. I don't pretend to understand the PO's nomenclature, but I have seen one or two references to the Ivar stucture as Hollywood PO no. 6. Whether that means that at that time there were six offices, or this was the sixth in chronology, or there were six (or more) designated zones or codes, is unclear to me. One might expect that the USPO would have the definitive answer. In any event, there may have been many POs, at any given time, and that means they were subject to change. Hotels, like the Sackett's and Ambassador acted as PO's, as did buildings specifically designated for that purpose, e.g., the Wilcox Station.
I don't know if this clarifies much, but here's a list of Post Offices from the 1932 CD. The paragraph on the left claims there are "One hundred and fourteen stations and branches..." - I haven't counted them. The Hollywood Station at 1723 N Vine is about a third of the way down the center column.

rescarta.lapl.org

The Hollywood Station is still on Vine in the 1936 CD, although the number of stations and branches is down to ninety. The 1938 CD lists the Hollywood Station at 1615 N Wilcox Av., and gives the number of stations and branches as one hundred.