View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
For 2 reasons, mainly. Mostly because the burbs don't get this benefit (but they won't talk about the benefits they do get that don't come with living downtown). The other reason that people may or may not understand is that the City will still receive taxes for the condos already built, it will just be paid for by the current owner (the developer) rather than the occupant.
Your first reason is pretty weak. I live downtown, and have been for many years. So, why are MY tax dollars being funneled to new infrastructure in the burbs? Why are MY tax dollars going to build schools in the burbs? (When I say "MY", I'm refering to all who pay taxes and live downtown) The new subburb in the SW is costing the city over $50 million in infrastructure costs. Why are all the downtown residents not complaining?

A vibrant subburb has little effect to a city as a whole compared to a vibrant downtown. Every single person living within the City of Winnipeg boarders ALL benefit from a vibrant downtown. It's like a living body. A healthy heart equals a healthy whole body. What would happen if you had a heart that was weak and dying???