View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 6:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I mean, it's a very positive idea, but I want to see a full I-35/130 swap. I want to see the current I-35 turned completely into a toll road and have 130 be free. Until that happens, the trucks are not going to take 130. They're going to keep blasting through our city with no regard for anybody who lives here, clogging the streets, driving like assholes. Maybe we could have a system set up whereby Austin metro residents don't have to pay very much (maybe $10 a month, like Spotify or Netflix) and only people passing through Austin have to pay full price.

Even with that, though, there would still be a need to bury the highway. Maybe this is a step in direction of my grand vision? It would certainly do a lot for the downtown area.
That idea would hurt the city economically and cause a massive shift of population east of the city which could potentially kill off the city core. Nobody is going to come to Austin driving 35 if they know its tolled. That's millions and millions of dollars that travelers passing through Austin, for gas, food, hotel stays that would be lost to the city. What we would end up with is 100 miles of sprawl along the current 130 route. If they have toll 35 at all which IMO it shouldn't even be an option, they can toll one or two new additional lanes while adding a 4th free lane.