View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
P.S. The Los Angeles in 1881 map -- http://imgzoom.cdlib.org/Fullscreen....and=calisphere -- marks the exact SE corner of 5th and Hill with "George Gephard, who raised $8,000 to buy site for Normal School in 1881, lived here." Just south of that (but perhaps really the same spot) is "Home of A. L. Bath, pioneer." The map also shows the SW corner of 5th and Olive, across the street from Central Park, as the home of meatpacker Jean Sentous; I think you can just barely see the top of his roof in the USC photo above.
What's the relationship between the Sentous home and the Nadeau's? Were they successively on the same lot?

(A bit more on George Gephard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gephard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
A. L. Bath was Albert L. Bath, born in Nova Scotia in 1829, he came to the US in 1851. in 1870 Mr Bath and his wife, who was 15 years younger, were living in Soquel, Santa Cruz County, CA where he is listed as being a carriage builder. They were living in Los Angeles by 1880 and was listed as being a wagon maker. They do not seem to have had any children. His wife Hannah apparently died between 1880 and 1900. He was a widower when he appears in the 1900 census as living at 508 S. Hill Street. His niece, Florence Dodge, also lived with him. He died in April of 1905 and is buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery on Whittier Blvd.

Thank you to both of you.

The three houses I've owned in LA, all built in the teens and 20s, were each the first structure to be built on their particular lots and all still exist in neighborhoods that have remained residential. I researched the chain of ownership of each, but there really wasn't much outward change.

I'm fascinated by sites like the SE corner of 5th and Hill that changed from residential to a hotel, to an office building and shops, falling derelict, undergoing a two-stage demolition and finally being excavated for the Red Line station.

Thanks so much for the deep history of "my" old bus stop.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling