View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I really wish you guys would quit it with these posts, at least until towers 2 & 3 are topped out. Of course the new world trade center doesn't stack up to the old, it's not even halfway done.

Four one-thousand foot buildings standing in a row. Really try
and think about that for a second. I'm not even talking about the design here. It absolutely will be more "powerful" than the twin towers.
Agreed. Plus, I'm not sure how many of the people who are labeling this complex as unimpressive actually ever got to go to the original WTC, because at street level it was honestly post apocalyptic. These comparisons of old v new always overlook the old complexes biggest fault which was the plaza was always empty. It was a cold, barren, concrete bunker that seemed to resist any sort of vitality.

Say what you will about the design of the new towers, or their heights, but the new complex will be so far ahead of the old one in terms of street activity and street vitality with shops, restaurants, landscaping, and trees, that it easily makes up for any perceived shortcomings with design or height, which I think are ridiculous.