View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 7:51 PM

The super city - wish / The Australian

Quote:
This is the fifth issue of WISH that we've dedicated to a single city. And for me, at least, it's the first time we've produced an issue in a city that I had never been to before.

When we made the decision to do our New York, London, Paris and Los Angeles issues it was largely because I knew each city fairly well and had a good idea of what to see, what to do, who we should approach for interviews and what locations we should choose for our fashion shoot. To be perfectly honest, we chose Berlin because every time we published one of these destination issues, people - colleagues, friends, readers - kept telling me that we should go to Berlin next. Never let it be said that I don't listen.

Of all the issues and photo shoots we've worked on overseas, this one was by far the most complex and challenging but, as is often the case, it was also the most rewarding. Now having been there, if there's one word that sums up Berlin for me it's super. During the week we were working in the city we'd often hear that someone was "super busy" or if they did have time to meet with us they were "super pleased" to do so.

Appetite for life - wish/ The Australian

Quote:
ONE of Europe's most enticing cities, Berlin has emerged from its tumultous past with its gaze set firmly to the future. A hotbed of creativity, it's a dynamic and happening place to be (and it's one of the last affordable capital cities in the world).

Shops, bars, restaurants and galleries have emerged in interesting locations, sometimes in disused factories, warehouses, bunkers or railway stations, where the spaces are transformed and reinvented, oozing personality and difference. The design and architecture may be classic or contemporary, from Bauhaus to Mies van der Rohe, minimalist to Baroque, industrial glam or grunge, but it all contributes to the city's unique aesthetic. Street fashion is avant-garde and innovative, the music is edgy, the atmosphere electric, even anarchistic. Retail therapy is alive and thriving and it's possible to firmly treasures that are Berlin-specific - great in an era of international homogeny. And, not surprisingly, the city's creativity and sense of liberation and freedom shines through in its dynamic food culture.