View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Thanks for the pics but it is a bit sad to look at them

Looking at past plans won't help us. We need to think of a new way to improve Penn now, given what is happening today. If the garden doesn't move, what is the best way to improve Penn? I say gut the station and modernize it. Remove some retail locations and make it more spacious. Since it is obvious that my idea of buying adjacent lots for a new head house won't work because the walk to the tracks would be longer, something else has to be looked for the next 20+ years. The whole place is too crowded. Taking Amtrak out would help free up space at least.

Sadly, not too much will help us because there's no money for most of it. As far as improving Penn Station though, the Farley extension (the post office will have a minor presence there, the lobby on the 8th Ave side) will relieve some of the congestion. I just left the place not too long ago, and even the pre-rush hour crowds are a bit much. It is dangerously overcrowded, particularly on the lower level where there are not many exits. That should be the main goal of any improvement there - quick exits from that lower concourse. Having daylight reach the tracks is fine, but not a necessity.

As far as Grand Central goes, Amtrak used to run trains out of there, and currently the Long Island Railroad is on course with the opening of the "East Side Access" that will allow commuters the options of going to either Grand Central or Penn Station. As far as getting NJ Transit extended to Grand Central though, I wouldn't expect it in this generation. Maybe something could be done in conjunction with the 2nd Ave subway extension, but I doubt it. What the City is looking at now is the possibility of extending the 7 line into Secaucus. That in turn would connect NJ Transit trains with not only the west side, but Grand Central, the east side, and beyond (Queens). And it would be no different than what many commuters do now anyway, changing at Newark or Hoboken to PATH trains for more direct service.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.