View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Woah, that's an awesome design! And, best of all, I believe it is replacing a Midas and Baskin Robins strip mall hell!

This will really change the nature of this area as it's almost entirely a drive-in drive-out retail center right now while the addition of 460 apartment units will actually add a solid residential component to the district.
It's not clear from the article exactly where it is, but I think it's actually going to anchor the SW corner of Canal and Taylor, with the retail facing Canal.

I think it'd be great if Grenshaw got (re?)established between Clinton and Canal as a street and not just an alley, especially if that's where this development's southern edge is. Small blocks will help that area feel more pedestrian than it is currently.

I also wish the CTA would extend the 22/Clark bus south from the current Harrison terminus to turn around somewhere in that area, perhaps using Clinton/Maxwell/Jefferson as the turn-around. That would improve transit access from much of the Central Area residents to there.

This development is definitely better than Roosevelt Collection, which is isolated and (in my opinion) annoying to get in and out of and feels claustrophobic (although I haven't been there since they remove the center 1-story buildings). Until Roosevelt Collection is accessible from the north, it will always have some disadvantages compared to other area developments.