View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 8:09 AM

Thank you for the comments! This forum seems really dead at the moment, but I'm not going to quit Bourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyao View Post
Yeah excellent stuff, I am in love with your freeway infrastructure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
The motorway alone is impressive.....most Xcellent mr.V
Thanks. Even though the layout is pretty much a copy from that real city, the modeling was probably the single most laborious part of the model. I think the freeway helps to add a lot of realism into that aerial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchup_fan View Post
I really like your city, you really know about us architecture, what's your profession if you don't mind? I'm asking this because your designs make me think you're an architect.
Well, my profession has nothing to do with building architecture. I'm just a fan.

Here's an update. The design competition for a new performing arts center in 1966-67 received entries from many famous architects. The design of famous Finnish-American architect Aaro Saarelainen was announced as the winner. Saarelainen said that the inspiration came from a swan - the national bird of Finland. The overall form of the entrance hall - most of the complex is underground - resembles a swan taking off from a lake. The columns supporting the roof halves in turn represent a landing swan.

The center was completed in 1971. It was named the Matthew W. Hill Center after Matthew Hill, a Bourne born millionaire, who was the biggest sponsor during the construction.

An aerial view from southwest:

An aerial view from southeast:

A view from inside the entrance hall: