View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 11:30 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It looks like the biggest problem with the games is the track and field stadium/opening closing ceremony stadium. It's a white elephant, with a double whammy of needing a big field and a huge capacity.

Atlanta's was reconstructed after, Athens's was there already, Sydney's was reconstructed after, Beijing's is never used and might be converted to a shopping center after, London's will be reconstructed after.

Building a new one and reconstructing it would be fine if we didn't have enough similar size venues already.
LA's was used twice, has been used by USC football, and has been used intermittently for NFL... but as I already said, football sucks in there. If you've ever been to a game there, you know what I mean. The field is off to one side with bleachers built on the field (leaving rows of seats unused behind them and in complete disrepair as you walk in that end of the stadium), and the proportions are still wrong side to side.

Although I still disagree that that's the biggest obstacle for a Phoenix olympics. Let's all be honest, the biggest obstacle for a Phoenix olympics is what Don said.