View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:34 PM
Round Head

Yeah, Calgary's off-street trail system is amazing, but it is useful more for recreational riders (of which there are many) unless you live reasonably close to the rivers. I used to commute from the NW suburbs to downtown for a summer on the Bow River Pathway and it was really effective - pretty much a B-line. Having a 10km commute, 9.5km of which is on a dedicated bike path is great. On street lanes are practically non-existent - it's sad. Outside the CBD and parts of the Beltline though, it is pretty easy to navigate quiet side streets on the inner city grid.

One other aspect of cycling in Calgary is the AMAZING urban mountain-biking. Parks like Bowmont, Nose Hill, Fish Creak, Weaselhead are something else. I lived on my mountain bike as a kid in Calgary- screw the street and paths!

Toronto's biking population is growing a lot downtown. The streets are tight so there isn't a lot of room for cyclists, especially on busy commuter streets like Queen. With regard to streetcar tracks, they can be pretty hazardous. I have a colleague that crashed on his bike on a streetcar track a few months back - totally decimated his knee.

Last edited by Wooster; Sep 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM.