View Single Post
Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I think what I mean is that, is there were a few more advantages given to cyclists somehow, they wouldn't feel so obliged to ride like jerks. But, perhaps they'd be jerks anyway. I try not to ride like a jerk.
First of all I agree, cyclists being human, there will be a small number of jerks out there who think they're entitled to have the world defer to them. Just like a small number of drivers. The problem is, there is an issue with how the 'general public' views cyclists and these types of jerks make it worse for the all of us. I ride year round on a mix of roads and paths, and I always try to be super respectful and communicate with the drivers around me, wave, etc. first of all so that they can be aware me and my intentions, and 2nd of all do my small part in trying to dispell the myth that all cyclists are hooligans.

On the other hand, when we share the paths with pedestrians, we have a responsibility to them to respect their safety since we're 'the bigger faster' vehicles on the path. If anyone's really interested in biking and biking advocacy in the city, check out and in get involved with something like bikecalgary.org. Sorry for the soap box!

With that said, not all speeders out there are just out to get their personal bests! A lot of them are probably like me, whose ass is more spongy than hard and just wants to get home to see his wife & kids, and would gladly get home a few minutes faster (but not at the expense of someone else). If the city will provide reasonably safe, more direct routes for commuters I'm all in since many of the bike paths are designed primarily for recreation, not commuting. And in the summer they are packed (well esp along the river).

I have heard of one city (forget which one) that has just recently given cyclists the ability to treat stop signs as yields on certain on road bike routes. I think this could work well, although it would need lots of education of drivers, etc. Stopping and starting does add up a lot on a bike...