View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Who will rock Magnetic Hill?
Published Thursday March 5th, 2009

Concerts coming, but few clues as to who, when and how often
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Maritime music fans are wondering if the annual summer pilgrimage to Moncton's Magnetic Hill concert site is on the horizon, especially as major concerts in two genres have been announced for Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

So far there is silence from Moncton, but one of the people at the centre of the city's concert business is confident Maritimers will have at least one show they won't want to miss at Magnetic Hill this year.

Ian Fowler, the general manager of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture department, which manages the concert site, said yesterday he could not even hint at when concert announcements might be coming, let alone name acts, as timing and contents of announcements are marketing strategies closely guarded by promoters.

However, he could say, "we expect the first contract to be concluded in the next 10 days." When the other party to that contract might go public is unpredictable.

While announcements of a KISS concert in Halifax and a Reba McEntire/Tim McGraw concert in Prince Edward Island would seem to add some urgency to Moncton getting on the 2009 mega-concert map, promoters at the level Moncton is pursuing are thinking in terms of unveiling entire tours rather than single concerts.

"I can understand people are wondering what is happening," Fowler said. "I'd have loved to be out with news by now."

However, he said he's confident there will be one big show at the hill, as has been the annual tradition since the Rolling Stones played four years ago. Fowler also pronounced himself hopeful that there will be a second show at the hill, and though far less certain, he said a third show was not out of the question.

"We are talking to three potential five-star acts. However, I don't mean to make people think there will automatically be three shows."