View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2007, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Everything there is to say about the connector has been.
Au contraire. There's a consensus building to turn that 1960's era dinosaur into a 21st Century urban thoroughfare. If sensible minds prevail it will likely happen within the next 25-30 years. That's not very long at all, when you consider they're saying it may be 30-40 years before the Peachtree Streetcar is rolling and a century before the Beltline is done. I probably won't be around to see any of this personally but I'd like to think we can start laying the groundwork for a modern city.

As to my Aussie friends, they were mystified. They loved the river and they loved MARTA's $1.75 fare -- it's about $15 to ride the train from the airport to downtown Sydney. They were also impressed with the old Buckhead mansions and Grant Park. As to the rest of Atlanta, well, as we know, it's not exactly what you you'll find in some other cities. When I took them down Peachtree into downtown, they asked, "Could we see the central city area?" To which I replied, "Well, this is it." They didn't get it.