View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 7:54 PM

Just relax bud. ...but I am flattered you're concerned over my apparently more-than-i-though-they-were influential thoughts.

I am in the camp that believes the city can't grow unless it's most fundamental infrastructure is taken care of. Thus, for example, no rapid transit - of any kind - before our roads are brought back to respectability. Years of neglect, which stemmed from the misappropriation of funds in the form of past mayor elects increasing funding for certain programs without making cuts (which in my opinion should have been in the area of civic staff), but instead by lifting money out of the maintenance budget. In doing so, the roads are, well, in the condition you and me see today. In fact, I believe on CJOB a short while ago, a public employee blamed the drivers for hitting the potholes. I can assure anyone, no driver openly wants to ram their car into the craters that polka-dot our streets.

Admittedly yes, we do live in a winter climate, and that will take its toll on roads, and admittedly yes, Sam Katz may appear as a bit of a simpleton. However, he is, as per the last budget on track to at least, bringing back respectability to some of our streets. Everyone is correct in stating that yes, this will NOT attract or help to retain our talented youth, however, in my opinion, before you can compete for the talented youth, you have to make sure your most basic infrastructure is sound - roads, sewage, snow removal, etc, - and maintainable. I believe this is what Katz is working towards, and I think that is a huge plus.

I want all the fancy things everybody else here does, but I just don't believe personally, that we have a proper foundation to build on quite yet. I am of the mindset that everything stems from fundamental principles, which I believe Katz has, and is in the process of working into City Hall, such as reducing the red tape, and the new hotline. Is he a panacea? No, not by any means, but I respect what he is doing, and at that, the new more business-friendly council infront of him.

If you are looking to compile a bulleted list, then you can add tax cuts, and although he may never be labelled a strong urbanist, he is not a suburban mayor, in my opinion.