View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:40 PM

Yup. As I already alluded to, public health agencies and agencies like MADD are collectively losing their minds about Ontario liberalizing alcohol sales. Just about everyone sees through it, but these organizations have strong lobbying wings which have until now largely managed to suppress any attempts at liberalization.

Wynne tried liberalization a bit in 2015 and these lobbyist groups and government agencies managed to steer the Liberals in a much more moderate direction which was so incremental to be effectively useless.

Ford is one to just do what he wants, which hurts his government on a lot of files, but works in some cases.. liberalization being one of them. He's also held alcohol taxes flat for the last 5 years after over a decade of sharp increases under the Liberals which have moderated a lot of Ontario's crazy alcohol prices, even if they are still higher than most jurisdictions.

Similarly a lot of the smaller regulations which fall under municipal regulation get caught up in local politics, which is dominated by seniors who almost universally do not drink or partake in drinking culture, leaning councils to be extremely puritanical with regulations.

Toronto council debated the alcohol in parks issue literally yesterday and the meeting was full of councillors looking to block it in their wards, and the regulation still restricts it to only a handful of parks in each ward. It's ridiculous. You can drink in one park, but that other park a block away? No, no, no!

Meanwhile most other Ontario municipalities haven't even bothered dipping their hands into it. When I go to the beach in Hamilton in the summer I still gotta hide my beer a bit since it's not legal.. Half the groups on the beach are drinking, but god forbid we legalize it.