View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:41 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Ah, if there is communal maintenance then it is condominium. My mom's townhouse is freehold, so landscaping and maintenance is her responsibility, no monthly maintenance fee. The street and sidewalks are all municipally owned as well. It's like a semi-detached house because her unit is an end unit. It's about 8m wide, 32m deep, if you don't count the munipical-owned part of the street (aka. the "boulevard"), which is around 25 x 100ft if I am not mistaken.

There is a lot of potential for increased density even without high rises. People talk about condo owners caring too much their neighbourhoods, but is it really good to have a neighbourhood full of people who don't care (i.e. renters)? Sometimes a balance is needed: condo vs. rental units, townhouses vs. apartments, high-rise vs. mid-rise vs. low-rise.

Chicago used to have 3.5 million people, now it has 2.7 million? I'm not sure many more high-rise residential buildings need to be built there.

The population numbers without accounting for household size are not super useful for determining housing demand(Chicago has more housing units than ever before).