View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 12:46 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Crap lining the freeway between the two cities does not even remotely make it a "metroplex."

Thanks for your contribution! I'm not seeing anyone comparing the current, or future Austin to San Antonio corridor to DFW, though.

And what you're referring to crap lining the freeway is about half a dozen cities (Cibolo, Schertz, Selma, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, Buda) containing hundreds of thousands of people. There's an airport which is the FAA designated reliever airport for both AUS and SAT (San Marcos Regional) and a major university (Texas State University) with tens of thousands of students.

The three counties you drive through (Guadalupe, Comal, and Hays) on I-35 between Travis and Bexar are home to 662,868 people, up from 264,633 in the 2000 census.

The Austin and San Antonio regions are also connected by the US 281 and TX 130 corridors bringing counties such as Caldwell and Blanco into the mix.

In the coming decades these areas are expected to continue to grow rapidly. Planning and coordinating between them for infrastructure and economic development is the responsible thing to do.

In conclusion I will reiterate no one informed on the region believes it will ever resemble DFW. However, it can not be disputed that this is an area experiencing explosive growth, and will continue to emerge as a major urban conurbation in this country.

Dismissing it as "crap along the highway" is a ridiculous take. But again, thanks for providing some satellite imagery!

Last edited by Lobotomizer; Mar 17, 2024 at 1:00 AM.