SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

StealthGirl Jan 18, 2021 8:21 PM

EB Games in Cornwall closed on January 17.

jigglysquishy Jan 18, 2021 8:29 PM

That's a damn shame.

We no longer have a video game store in the inner city.

yveseluj Jan 18, 2021 8:54 PM

How many vacancies are there in the Cornwall now?

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 18, 2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 9163824)
How many vacancies are there in the Cornwall now?

Vacant 1st Floor
Former Sears
Former Le Chateau
Former EB Games

Vacant 2nd Floor
Former GAP
Former Eddie Bauer
Former Payless Shoes
Former Stokes

StealthGirl Jan 19, 2021 5:12 PM

Obvious EB Games and Stokes are little, but there is some serious big space open. Sears, GAP and Eddie Bauer are big square footage. Mall management should be nervous that the Bay is struggling in other centres.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 19, 2021 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9164553)
Obvious EB Games and Stokes are little, but there is some serious big space open. Sears, GAP and Eddie Bauer are big square footage. Mall management should be nervous that the Bay is struggling in other centres.

Still waiting to see if the Cornwall Centre could solidify Goodlife Fitness and Winners and/or Homesense. Also maybe a Sobey’s/Save On Foods could work to fill the larger spaces?

I am hoping Planet Fitness can be secured at the Southland Mall as that would be perfect in the Medical Centre proposed area.

djforsberg Jan 19, 2021 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9164747)
Still waiting to see if the Cornwall Centre could solidify Goodlife Fitness and Winners and/or Homesense. Also maybe a Sobey’s/Save On Foods could work to fill the larger spaces?

I am hoping Planet Fitness can be secured at the Southland Mall as that would be perfect in the Medical Centre proposed area.

Once the pandemic passes, I could see a gym in Cornwall being a reality considering the closing of the YMCA. COVID, however, will likely have a lasting impact on gyms if anyone was like me. The gym is one of my most important things for my mental and physical health and when mine closed in the spring I started collecting equipment for my house. After spending much of what I saved from being isolated, now I practically have everything I need and will likely never step foot in a gym again. I can’t wait to get back to Oxygen for hot yoga and fitness classes though.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 19, 2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9164920)
Once the pandemic passes, I could see a gym in Cornwall being a reality considering the closing of the YMCA. COVID, however, will likely have a lasting impact on gyms if anyone was like me. The gym is one of my most important things for my mental and physical health and when mine closed in the spring I started collecting equipment for my house. After spending much of what I saved from being isolated, now I practically have everything I need and will likely never step foot in a gym again. I can’t wait to get back to Oxygen for hot yoga and fitness classes though.

Even tho I am sure many people might have purchased some gym equipment during the lockdown, the majority will still go to an actual gym. I cannot wait to be able to get back to Goodlife. There is nothing like using all of the equipment and space that is at an actual gym. Also working out around other people gives me more motivation than if I was at home in my apartment. People WILL want reasons to get out of their homes.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 20, 2021 12:56 AM

https://i.ibb.co/3cm61qb/337-ED0-C7-...46-C5-A144.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wSq0bR6/BEBD38-EF-2...2-AE1043-F.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/wJdcm9V/8931-A9-D7-...9-EEFFD104.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/nmpJ7fh/194-A0-E2-F...E9-EB1-ED1.jpg

I was thinking having an Indigo Spirit/Coles or some form of a bookstore again at the Cornwall Centre would be nice. Was sad when Smithbooks closed.

djforsberg Jan 20, 2021 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9164994)
Even tho I am sure many people might have purchased some gym equipment during the lockdown, the majority will still go to an actual gym. I cannot wait to be able to get back to Goodlife. There is nothing like using all of the equipment and space that is at an actual gym. Also working out around other people gives me more motivation than if I was at home in my apartment. People WILL want reasons to get out of their homes.

Definitely. I get my social motivation at Oxygen!

StealthGirl Jan 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9165061)

I was thinking having an Indigo Spirit/Coles or some form of a bookstore again at the Cornwall Centre would be nice. Was sad when Smithbooks closed.

Yes, downtown needs a bookstore! Penny University or Awarehouse (pretty specialized content) would probably be the closest places.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 25, 2021 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9165127)
Yes, downtown needs a bookstore! Penny University or Awarehouse (pretty specialized content) would probably be the closest places.

Yes!!!! Would be so nice!

Festivus Jan 28, 2021 1:23 AM

Sobeys on South Albert is closing Feb 13.

StealthGirl Jan 28, 2021 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9172739)
Sobeys on South Albert is closing Feb 13.

Transitioning to a Freshco but I'm not sure how long that changeover takes. Not surprising. They already have the Safeway at Southland, plus competition with Superstore on one side at Golden Mile and Save-On on the other side. South Albert is crazy with grocery stores.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 28, 2021 3:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9172779)
Transitioning to a Freshco but I'm not sure how long that changeover takes. Not surprising. They already have the Safeway at Southland, plus competition with Superstore on one side at Golden Mile and Save-On on the other side. South Albert is crazy with grocery stores.

That Sobeys needed a rebranding anyways especially with all the competition. I remember the excitement when Garden Market IGA first opened.

pappcam Jan 28, 2021 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9172779)

I think the FreshCo changeover on the Regent Park Safeway took about 5-6 months

Festivus Jan 28, 2021 3:18 PM

Sucks for all of the employees, I know there are a lot of long-time workers there.

HomeInMyShoes Jan 28, 2021 3:32 PM

FreshCo is owned by Sobey's. I'm pretty sure it will have mostly the same staff, but sucks to be out of hours when the changeover occurs.

Pre-COV-id, I did more shopping at Superstore than Sobey's, but during the last year, I've done the bulk at Sobey's. Just way less crowded and chaotic than SuperStore. They seemed to be ahead of the curve with handwashing stations, masks and general thought for what to do than others. I've always liked IGA and Sobey's over the years. I'm hoping FreshCo isn't too much of a change.

Festivus Jan 28, 2021 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes (Post 9173161)
FreshCo is owned by Sobey's. I'm pretty sure it will have mostly the same staff, but sucks to be out of hours when the changeover occurs.

Pre-COV-id, I did more shopping at Superstore than Sobey's, but during the last year, I've done the bulk at Sobey's. Just way less crowded and chaotic than SuperStore. They seemed to be ahead of the curve with handwashing stations, masks and general thought for what to do than others. I've always liked IGA and Sobey's over the years. I'm hoping FreshCo isn't too much of a change.

Sobeys has definitely been the best for in-store shopping during the pandemic—they are still taking things seriously, unlike most of the other chains. However, they are also one of the only chains not doing pickup or delivery orders. In my household we do online delivery every few weeks, and then only stop in if we absolutely need something right away (then we go to Sobeys). If we could order from Sobeys, we would, but can't.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 28, 2021 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9173499)
Sobeys has definitely been the best for in-store shopping during the pandemic—they are still taking things seriously, unlike most of the other chains. However, they are also one of the only chains not doing pickup or delivery orders. In my household we do online delivery every few weeks, and then only stop in if we absolutely need something right away (then we go to Sobeys). If we could order from Sobeys, we would, but can't.

Guessing Voila hasn’t reached Saskatchewan yet?

PhotoJim Jan 29, 2021 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9173537)
Guessing Voila hasn’t reached Saskatchewan yet?

Nope.

Draftsman Mar 6, 2021 7:00 PM

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so I will mention that Bath & Body works has moved into their temporary location (former Gap location). There are navy blue boards covering the front of the permanent location, as well as the former Ardene/Regina Pats spot. They have their White Barn logo painted on the boards but not B&BW (except for small print). Opening in June 2021. I know it will just be an enlarged store, with perhaps a White Barn section?

one_brick_at_a_time Mar 6, 2021 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9209521)
I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so I will mention that Bath & Body works has moved into their temporary location (former Gap location). There are navy blue boards covering the front of the permanent location, as well as the former Ardene/Regina Pats spot. They have their White Barn logo painted on the boards but not B&BW (except for small print). Opening in June 2021. I know it will just be an enlarged store, with perhaps a White Barn section?

This was rumored for a few years. Yes, a Bath & Body Works store with White Barn brand section expanded area. It’s the most updated version of their stores. Glad the Ardene former spot will be used finally.

Probably similar to this...

https://i.ibb.co/kxWkhjx/134-B2-D73-...39-E2-F9-C.jpg

Draftsman Mar 7, 2021 2:55 AM

Yeah, I know that. I talk to the store employees when I shop there. I was just pointing out that the renovations have started for those who may not go to Cornwall Centre often.

StealthGirl Mar 9, 2021 2:26 PM

What's the difference between WB and BBW? Or is it sort of like Cleo & Rickis?

one_brick_at_a_time Mar 9, 2021 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9211731)
What's the difference between WB and BBW? Or is it sort of like Cleo & Rickis?

From their website:

“WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHITE BARN AND BATH & BODY WORKS HOME FRAGRANCES?

From the World’s Best 3-Wick Candles to always-on Wallflowers and more – we have so many ways to fill your house (and heart) with wonderful fragrances. Our White Barn Candle Collection was one of our first home fragrance collections and has been a favorite since it was founded in 1998.

Our White Barn Candle Collection provides sophisticated fragrances, more neutral wax colors, and timeless décor options that will fit into any room of your home.

Our Bath & Body Works Collection captures the scents, colors, and spirit of the seasons while embodying your favorite experiences throughout the year in fun, seasonal, vibrant colors and designs.”

LittleBoy Apr 8, 2021 7:41 PM

I noticed that T+A and Core Coffee have once again moved, this time to 13th and Halifax. Not sure why as this is now their 3rd location in only a few years.

Does anyone know what is going on just south of the Fat Badger? It says the space is leased and it looks like they’re building a patio out front (might just be expanding the Badger)

Also what’s going in where Hunter Gatherer used to be? Seemed to be doing a decent bit of work today

cityboy Apr 8, 2021 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 9242581)
I noticed that T+A and Core Coffee have once again moved, this time to 13th and Halifax. Not sure why as this is now their 3rd location in only a few years.

Does anyone know what is going on just south of the Fat Badger? It says the space is leased and it looks like they’re building a patio out front (might just be expanding the Badger)

Also what’s going in where Hunter Gatherer used to be? Seemed to be doing a decent bit of work today

T + A outgrew their old location and also expanded or plan to expand their food offering.

aberrant Apr 9, 2021 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 9242581)

I have been told a new breakfast/diner type place is going in there. Not vegetarian, which is what Hunter Gatherer was.

cityboy Apr 18, 2021 8:30 PM

Cornwall Centre

Aeropostale to replace Eddie Bauer this summer. Kind of a good thing for the Cornwall to get another national brand in there so quickly.

one_brick_at_a_time Apr 18, 2021 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 9253126)
Aeropostale to replace Eddie Bauer this summer. Kind of a good thing for the Cornwall to get another national brand in there so quickly.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...efront-photos/

Same group in connection to Forever 21 re-entering Canada. Maybe Cornwall Centre?

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ysical-stores/

Draftsman Apr 19, 2021 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9253141)
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...efront-photos/

Same group in connection to Forever 21 re-entering Canada. Maybe Cornwall Centre?

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ysical-stores/

Welcome back, Aeropostale. The former Eddie Bauer spot should be better for them (higher visibility) than their original Cornwall Centre spot.

cityboy Apr 19, 2021 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9253244)
Welcome back, Aeropostale. The former Eddie Bauer spot should be better for them (higher visibility) than their original Cornwall Centre spot.

Whereabouts were they located the first time? As for Forever 21, I wonder if Urban Planet gets rebranded. Alternately, it would fit well in the Gap space

one_brick_at_a_time Apr 19, 2021 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 9253314)
Whereabouts were they located the first time? As for Forever 21, I wonder if Urban Planet gets rebranded. Alternately, it would fit well in the Gap space

Where Boathouse is on the first level. I was thinking Forever 21 would be a good fit for the GAP, BUT a Zara or Artizia or higher quality brand would be better.

one_brick_at_a_time May 4, 2021 12:06 AM

New Aeropostale location hoarding in former Eddie Bauer spot
https://i.ibb.co/LkYKNtL/F40-B8464-9...E002800-D6.jpg

Temporary Bath & Body Works in former GAP/GAP Kids during renovations
https://i.ibb.co/jDSpTq0/87-B546-F8-...5617448-CA.jpg

one_brick_at_a_time May 12, 2021 11:57 PM

Has Pet Valu opened at the Southland Mall yet?

StealthGirl May 13, 2021 3:54 AM

I was in Southland today for the first time in a year or maybe longer. I know malls are a dying breed, but it was shocking to see how many empty stores there are. Even a few with stock like Northern Reflections were dark and locked up.

I didn't see PetValu but I wasn't looking for it.

SpongeG May 13, 2021 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9209594)
This was rumored for a few years. Yes, a Bath & Body Works store with White Barn brand section expanded area. It’s the most updated version of their stores. Glad the Ardene former spot will be used finally.

Probably similar to this...

https://i.ibb.co/kxWkhjx/134-B2-D73-...39-E2-F9-C.jpg

they've been redoing some of the stores here in BC they are a white barn housed inside a bath and body works now. and then the back of the store is B&BW again.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J35gT8nCw...95684096_n.jpg
source

one_brick_at_a_time May 13, 2021 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9278658)
I was in Southland today for the first time in a year or maybe longer. I know malls are a dying breed, but it was shocking to see how many empty stores there are. Even a few with stock like Northern Reflections were dark and locked up.

I didn't see PetValu but I wasn't looking for it.

I wonder if maybe some stores are on shorter opening hours? Or maybe waiting for full opening to save money?
With Strathallen moving tenants away from the north side chunk to make room for their Medical Hub redevelopment, that might be the visual reason to see more empty spaces. I’ve heard that that the Medical Hub idea hasn’t been successful in finding doctor/health tenants to relocate to the Southland Mall. It might however allow in the end for a larger leasable space for Planet Fitness or something to open on the north side of the mall.

PS. The Pharmacy (former Smitty’s) is where Pet Valu is apparently going. Looks like Strathallen wasn’t successful in leasing a Rexall or comparable pharmacy.

Updated Southland leasing map:
https://www.southlandshoppingcentre....and-Mall-1.pdf

https://i.ibb.co/BzBwjYL/7-A5-D45-F9...-BFF797-C8.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/58NbFnr/5-DA9-B064-...BA34059-F7.jpg

Medical Hub Leasing Brochure:
https://www.southlandshoppingcentre....edical_V09.pdf

StealthGirl May 13, 2021 9:03 PM

Late night shopping on Wed-Fri at Southland is now only until 7pm, not 9pm, but I don't know if that's recent.

It's too bad about that mall. When CT/Sportchek/Atmosphere went in, it seemed to really perk up the whole mall. I think turning it into a gym and health centre could kill the rest of the mall.

one_brick_at_a_time May 13, 2021 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9279419)
Late night shopping on Wed-Fri at Southland is now only until 7pm, not 9pm, but I don't know if that's recent.

It's too bad about that mall. When CT/Sportchek/Atmosphere went in, it seemed to really perk up the whole mall. I think turning it into a gym and health centre could kill the rest of the mall.

A gym would bring more people to the property tho. If I had to choose between visiting two malls, I would go to the property that had my gym at it over the other. I do agree the current “medical” leasing focus is more of a snore fest for the excitement of the property development growth. They need more retail. I always thought a hotel at the back corner of the property by Cineplex would work well.

djforsberg May 13, 2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9279456)
A gym would bring more people to the property tho. If I had to choose between visiting two malls, I would go to the property that had my gym at it over the other. I do agree the current “medical” leasing focus is more of a snore fest for the excitement of the property development growth. They need more retail. I always thought a hotel at the back corner of the property by Cineplex would work well.

I went to Goodlife Fitness for almost 3 years before the pandemic, both locations. I can count on one hand hand how many times I stopped in either Vic Square or Golden Mile, excluding Superstore or places with food. Shopping is definitely not something I like doing after doing a workout. But that's just me.

one_brick_at_a_time May 13, 2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9279506)
I went to Goodlife Fitness for almost 3 years before the pandemic, both locations. I can count on one hand hand how many times I stopped in either Vic Square or Golden Mile, excluding Superstore or places with food. Shopping is definitely not something I like doing after doing a workout. But that's just me.

Vic Square isn't really a sought after shopping destination in the first place, but they were very smart to secure Goodlife. When I am in Regina I work out at the Golden Mile Goodlife each day and I would frequent the Booster Juice and Superstore almost every time. My point is, the more food, theatre, clothing, gym, and grocery options on the same property the better for drawing more people. I am still hoping Cornwall Centre can solidify Goodlife for the remainder of the main floor Sears space.

djforsberg May 13, 2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9279528)
Vic Square isn't really a sought after shopping destination in the first place, but they were very smart to secure Goodlife. When I am in Regina I work out at the Golden Mile Goodlife each day and I would frequent the Booster Juice and Superstore almost every time. My point is, the more food, theatre, clothing, gym, and grocery options on the same property the better for drawing more people. I am still hoping Cornwall Centre can solidify Goodlife for the remainder of the main floor Sears space.

Ya, for sure. Foot traffic is foot traffic and gyms are better than empty space.

StealthGirl May 14, 2021 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 9279506)

That's my thought too. The gym is a destination. I'm going there and home. I'm not tacking on extra running around.

djforsberg May 14, 2021 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 9280125)
That's my thought too. The gym is a destination. I'm going there and home. I'm not tacking on extra running around.

It’s hard enough pulling myself there as it is :haha:

StealthGirl Jun 9, 2021 3:58 PM

Request is going to council to rezone the former Costco for an Auto Gallery dealership. That will ensure it continues to be a dead zone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...gina-1.6056952

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 12, 2021 3:50 AM

The New “Community Hub” at Southland Mall

“Southland Mall continues to be Your Community Destination by announcing an all-new project: The Community Hub! Introducing three unique attractions to promote supporting local community businesses, organizations and families.”

https://i.ibb.co/TvGmfDy/F94-EDD90-6...47-E8-A5-C.jpg

Opening in Spring 2021, The Spot is a community inspired room available to organizations interested in hosting activities, workshops, group classes and more. Non-profit and charitable organizations can also utilize for fundraising initiatives at no cost to their organization!

https://i.ibb.co/rGhjwg7/DFD8-B661-8...01-BBDD8-D.jpg

“The Pop Shop, Southland” is Southern Saskatchewan’s new destination for local small businesses and entrepreneurs to showcase and sell their products in a bricks & mortars store front! Stay tuned to our social page as we host all types of different vendors on a rotating schedule.

Welcome to fun with “The Park, Southland”! Enjoy our large indoor play structure equipped with monkey bars, slide, and complete jungle-gym. Also included is the Toddler Area, for children who want to have fun in a smaller setting. Also coming soon, is a massive children’s chalkboard wall!

https://i.ibb.co/4jw7bpb/CF3495-D6-3...2-ED3-FDD6.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/cXqH0fH/E36-C31-D3-...-C7-EBB3-C.jpg

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 12, 2021 4:04 AM

Thoughts? The Spot looks like it might as well be an addition to the library and The Park looks lacking for a mall kids attraction (PS where will Santa now go?). I am wondering about The Spot, which could be an interesting element if built well for smaller vendors.

I don’t find this project exciting at all BUT a Planet Fitness would be. :)

Draftsman Jun 12, 2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9309583)
Thoughts? The Spot looks like it might as well be an addition to the library and The Park looks lacking for a mall kids attraction (PS where will Santa now go?). I am wondering about The Spot, which could be an interesting element if built well for smaller vendors.

I don’t find this project exciting at all BUT a Planet Fitness would be. :)

Thanks for posting this update. It's as exciting as watching someone blowing their nose :rolleyes:

As you know, shopping malls across North America are trying to reinvent themselves, so I give Southland/Strathallen kudos for trying. I doubt these improvements will draw many (any?) additional visitors to the mall though. They haven't invested much money into these lame ideas, so if they work, great (but I doubt it). If not, I hope they try harder next time :uhh: