SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

Drofmab Nov 30, 2016 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7636668)
Don't know you work there? Sounds like wishful thinking. :cheers:

I work downtown, but not in that complex.
(so yes, it is wishful thinking :yes:)

Drofmab Jan 9, 2017 8:26 PM

Quite a bit of movement in Cornwall.

Some of the usual post-Christmas closures (Calendar Club in former Birks; Pop-up clothing shop in former Danier), but some are longer-term tenants (Bentley; Things Engraved). Also some relocations (Chatters previously, The Source shortly - opening on main level towards the Bay in Feb). Interesting that many of the closures are in the area around Tim Hortons. Telus is about the only one not to have closed/moved.

Is Tim's still moving? If so, not surprising to see these shops relocating... that area was always a dead spot before Tim's opened. With it gone, I suspect it'll be relatively dead again.

(Garage is also closed for renos - no change to location, though)

Nathan Jan 9, 2017 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7672425)
Quite a bit of movement in Cornwall.

Some of the usual post-Christmas closures (Calendar Club in former Birks; Pop-up clothing shop in former Danier), but some are longer-term tenants (Bentley; Things Engraved). Also some relocations (Chatters previously, The Source shortly - opening on main level towards the Bay in Feb). Interesting that many of the closures are in the area around Tim Hortons. Telus is about the only one not to have closed/moved.

Is Tim's still moving? If so, not surprising to see these shops relocating... that area was always a dead spot before Tim's opened. With it gone, I suspect it'll be relatively dead again.

(Garage is also closed for renos - no change to location, though)

And cue the ongoing rumours than H&M is considering that section of the mall (former Havok outside + ex-upstairs yoga studio, Smitty's, Chatters, Tim Hortons if they relocate). Maybe Bentley is being pushed out and Telus will be shifted over to fully take up that corner of the mall including the hallway/Things Engraved spot? Just spitballing/fanning the rumours.

HomeInMyShoes Jan 9, 2017 9:04 PM

It would certainly be nice to have a sort-of anchor at that end of the mall. It is a dead-zone, although coffee was the perfect thing there for the business employee commuters heading into and out of the mall into adjoining buildings across the pedways.

jigglysquishy Jan 9, 2017 9:09 PM

Nope

Stormer Jan 9, 2017 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7672475)
H&M is 100% confirmed and will start construction early Q2.

Do you know if a makeover of the 11th Ave frontage is part of this?

jigglysquishy Jan 9, 2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7672500)
Do you know if a makeover of the 11th Ave frontage is part of this?

It is, but I don't know the design details.

Tims is taking the old Second Cup location and H&M is taking the old Havik and Smittys.

Stormer Jan 9, 2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7672535)
It is, but I don't know the design details.

Tims is taking the old Second Cup location and H&M is taking the old Havik and Smittys.

...and (former) Chatters and (current) Tims on second floor.

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 10, 2017 7:44 AM

I would guess H&M would also take over the empty former Bryan's location on the main floor just east of the old Havik as well?

BrutallyDishonest2 Jan 10, 2017 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7672974)
I would guess H&M would also take over the empty former Bryan's location on the main floor just east of the old Havik as well?

The mall doesn't own that building.

Stormer Jan 10, 2017 2:40 PM

Too bad about Bryan's. I thought they had a decent business selling inexpensive prom dresses to teens. I guess that is pretty seasonal.

We can't afford to lose street front retail downtown. H&M can't come soon enough.

yveseluj Jan 13, 2017 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7672475)
H&M is 100% confirmed and will start construction early Q2.

Any idea when this'll be announced? Seems like a fairly big deal. I know people have been wanting one in Regina for a while.

jigglysquishy Jan 13, 2017 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 7676436)
Any idea when this'll be announced? Seems like a fairly big deal. I know people have been wanting one in Regina for a while.

I suspect it'll be announced on a Friday with construction starting Monday.

Stormer Jan 13, 2017 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7676807)
I suspect it'll be announced on a Friday with construction starting Monday.

I suspect in will be announced in the morning of weekday. ;)

cityboy Jan 29, 2017 11:50 PM

Grasslands Retail

Looks like the site map has been updated to list some of the tenants in the Urban Village segment. Little Caesars, Chopped Leaf, Tutti Frutti etc., as well as Blaze Pizza, which is one of the first in Canada and also Structube, which is kinda cool.

Drofmab Jan 30, 2017 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7673084)
H&M can't come soon enough.

More stores in the southeast corner of Cornwall have now closed... Bentley, Town Shoes, and Metalsmiths.

Other than Roots, Telus, ZamZam & Tims, every storefront in "Zone J" of the mall is now empty.

Like The Source, I'm assuming Telus will relocate (not close altogether) - Metalsmiths' former location seems like a decent bet, eh?

Cornwall better get an announcement out soon about H&M - most of the closed locations are just blank - no "coming soon" or "We're moving" - to a casual shopper, it could seem like the mall is dying.

(Cornwall Security also got a major upgrade - they've taken over the former medical office space facing SaskTel - a much larger footprint than they previously had - probably 2-3x larger).

Nathan Jan 30, 2017 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7694900)
More stores in the southeast corner of Cornwall have now closed... Bentley, Town Shoes, and Metalsmiths.

Other than Roots, Telus, ZamZam & Tims, every storefront in "Zone J" of the mall is now empty.

Like The Source, I'm assuming Telus will relocate (not close altogether) - Metalsmiths' former location seems like a decent bet, eh?

Cornwall better get an announcement out soon about H&M - most of the closed locations are just blank - no "coming soon" or "We're moving" - to a casual shopper, it could seem like the mall is dying.

(Cornwall Security also got a major upgrade - they've taken over the former medical office space facing SaskTel - a much larger footprint than they previously had - probably 2-3x larger).

I think metalsmiths was just renovating. I don't think it said they were closing out. HMV's space will be open soon though; all HMV locations in Canada are closing.

There could definitely be some major shuffling in the next while. Certainly agree it's starting to look bad to the casual shopper though...

Drofmab Jan 31, 2017 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7694961)
I think metalsmiths was just renovating. I don't think it said they were closing out. HMV's space will be open soon though; all HMV locations in Canada are closing.

There could definitely be some major shuffling in the next while. Certainly agree it's starting to look bad to the casual shopper though...

Metalsmiths' website doesn't list a Cornwall Centre location anymore - just a reference to a "concept store" opening in Grasslands this month.

The Source's new location on the main level is now open - it is a big improvement (visually, at least - didn't check out the product select or customer service).

Nathan Jan 31, 2017 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7695988)
Metalsmiths' website doesn't list a Cornwall Centre location anymore - just a reference to a "concept store" opening in Grasslands this month.

The Source's new location on the main level is now open - it is a big improvement (visually, at least - didn't check out the product select or customer service).

Interesting, well in that case the footprint would definitely does line up with Telus's current one.

As for the source, it felt like it had about the same amount of product, just much more spaced out. Pros and Cons to that I guess; it's less cramped, but also might not be as efficiency a use of space (though maybe the mall gave them a deal on rent to get them to shift)?

cityboy Jan 31, 2017 5:22 PM

Perhaps Hillberg and Berk moves into the corner vacated by Metalsmiths? I also noticed that Aldo's Accessory location is boarded up...

Nathan Jan 31, 2017 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 7696026)
Perhaps Hillberg and Berk moves into the corner vacated by Metalsmiths? I also noticed that Aldo's Accessory location is boarded up...

I was just in the mall at lunch and have a bit to add... Aldo accessories has their sign down along with being boarded up... As the Also group still has 3 storefronts it's not exactly surprising to seem them shave off one of the 4.

Town Shoes is boarded up; my guess is they move into the Aldo Accessories space... maybe... it's a similar size.

That now means the following spaces are boarded up: Metalsmiths, Aldo Accessories, former Second Cup, Bentley, former Danier, the Source, Town Shoes, and the former Chatters. I didn't check to see if it was boarded up, but the first floor space that used to be a jewellery shop right next to Smitty's is also vacant after Calendar Club left following the Christmas season.

And I'm not sure I could see Hillberg & Berk taking a traditional space. They do quite well with their small boutique footprint, which I'm sure is much cheaper than a permanent store spot.

Stormer Jan 31, 2017 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7696165)
I was just in the mall at lunch and have a bit to add... Aldo accessories has their sign down along with being boarded up... As the Also group still has 3 storefronts it's not exactly surprising to seem them shave off one of the 4.

Town Shoes is boarded up; my guess is they move into the Aldo Accessories space... maybe... it's a similar size.

That now means the following spaces are boarded up: Metalsmiths, Aldo Accessories, former Second Cup, Bentley, former Danier, the Source, Town Shoes, and the former Chatters. I didn't check to see if it was boarded up, but the first floor space that used to be a jewellery shop right next to Smitty's is also vacant after Calendar Club left following the Christmas season.

Any sign of renos in the Second Cup? Tims will need to move before they can do whatever they are doing with the SE corner.

And I'm not sure I could see Hillberg & Berk taking a traditional space. They do quite well with their small boutique footprint, which I'm sure is much cheaper than a permanent store spot.

Any sign of renos in the Second Cup Space? Tim's will need to move before they can get on with the plan for the SE corner.

Drofmab Jan 31, 2017 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7696191)
Any sign of renos in the Second Cup Space? Tim's will need to move before they can get on with the plan for the SE corner.

I haven't seen/heard any construction noise from that space - but I also didn't see/hear any such noise in the space that the Source is now in... so I may just be inattentive ;)

Drofmab Jan 31, 2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7673084)
H&M can't come soon enough.

H&M just announced a new Winnipeg location yesterday... maybe we can expect a Regina announcement soon.

micheal Feb 6, 2017 11:53 PM

big Reno's coming to Cornwall Centre

http://cjme.com/article/1141829/big-...ady-new-tenant

brithgob Feb 7, 2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micheal (Post 7702968)
big Reno's coming to Cornwall Centre

http://cjme.com/article/1141829/big-...ady-new-tenant

I'm curious what the other tenants besides H&M might be. Any ideas?

BrannyMuffin Feb 7, 2017 5:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brithgob (Post 7703046)
I'm curious what the other tenants besides H&M might be. Any ideas?

That's what I'm wondering. They announced Saje Wellness (beside Sephora, so old Metalsmiths I guess) the other day. So is it two more in addition to that?

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 7, 2017 6:23 AM

I can't see them putting town shoes next to aldo in the Aldo accessories spot. That wouldn't make sense.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 7, 2017 6:23 AM

Also, I wonder if any tenants will be moved to the sasktel side.

Nathan Feb 7, 2017 8:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7703339)
I can't see them putting town shoes next to aldo in the Aldo accessories spot. That wouldn't make sense.

Looking on the Town Shoes Website, Regina is no longer listed, so I'm thinking it's safe to say it's not going to reopen. They still have DSW in Grasslands anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7703340)
Also, I wonder if any tenants will be moved to the sasktel side.

It would be nice to fill that side of the mall out with something other than travel agencies, security offices, or medical/dental services...

However, it's going to take a store with some solid drawing power to make that side of the mall work, so I'm not sure about it.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 7, 2017 4:16 PM

Yeah, Nathan, I agree, they do need a strong anchor to bring life to that side. Town shoes never seemed to be incredibly busy to me, and also found their Regina Cornwall store lacking in comparison to here in Toronto. Also their prices are higher than Aldo so maybe it wasn't a successful expansion to our market.

If Cornwall Centre expanded to the north they could build a two floor expansion right up to Sask drive, moving the Sask Drive entrance right up to the ugly rusted Cornwall Centre sign and then move the washrooms and expand on the second floor. That would allow them room for another main floor larger tenant, and another one or two second floor tenant right above.

There is no need for that giant concrete plaza at the north side of the mall that isn't even landscaped with anything or any trees.

Stormer Feb 7, 2017 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7703685)
Yeah, Nathan, I agree, they do need a strong anchor to bring life to that side. Town shoes never seemed to be incredibly busy to me, and also found their Regina Cornwall store lacking in comparison to here in Toronto. Also their prices are higher than Aldo so maybe it wasn't a successful expansion to our market.

If Cornwall Centre expanded to the north they could build a two floor expansion right up to Sask drive, moving the Sask Drive entrance right up to the ugly rusted Cornwall Centre sign and then move the washrooms and expand on the second floor. That would allow them room for another main floor larger tenant, and another one or two second floor tenant right above.

There is no need for that giant concrete plaza at the north side of the mall that isn't even landscaped with anything or any trees.

I agree that it is the most hideous plaza in Regina. Concrete walls, empty tree boxes and flower beds, lot of exposed aggregate and worn out concrete paving stones.:slob:

It is so bad I took a bunch of photos a few year ago. I doubt I can find them though.

Streetview: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/188...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 7, 2017 10:14 PM

As announced on Southland Mall's website and makes sense as they were just booted out of the Cornwall Centre.

http://www.qehomelinens.com/SiteCM/i/logo-main.jpghttp://www.qehomelinens.com/SiteCM/i/slogan.png

Regina
Southland Mall
Opening Spring 2017!

http://www.southlandshoppingcentre.com/

http://www.qehomelinens.com/storelocations.htm

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 7, 2017 10:36 PM

So can someone currently tell me the "list" of storefronts currently closed in the Cornwall Centre?

Here is the floor plan from the 20 VIC website, last updated Sept 2015...

http://www.20vic.com/retailpdf/Cornwall%20Centre.pdf

cityboy Feb 8, 2017 12:52 AM

Cornwall renovations

Looks like work has started in the former Birks, Metalsmiths and Second Cup locations. Was in there tonight and there is full demo happening where Second Cup was.

cityboy Feb 8, 2017 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7704316)
So can someone currently tell me the "list" of storefronts currently closed in the Cornwall Centre?

Here is the floor plan from the 20 VIC website, last updated Sept 2015...

http://www.20vic.com/retailpdf/Cornwall%20Centre.pdf

Metalsmiths
Aldo Accessories
Danier Leather
Former Chatters
Second Cup
Bentley
Birks
Town Shoes
Former Source
Either Garage or Dynamite(can't remember which, but just renovating)
Soon to be HMV

cityboy Feb 8, 2017 1:03 AM

Downtown retail

A place called 30 minute Repair has opened in the former Art of Travel on 11th and Cornwall. Looks like they fix cellphone screens and sell all manner of accessories. It actually looks like a very well planned out and viable business. I'm happy to see continued activity downtown. Every store that opens and stays open helps bring that critical mass that will in turn help with residential projects etc.

Draftsman Feb 8, 2017 2:01 AM

:previous: According to their website (irepair.ca) they have eight stores located in BC and Ontario.

Nathan Feb 8, 2017 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 7704527)
Metalsmiths
Aldo Accessories
Danier Leather
Former Chatters
Second Cup
Bentley
Birks
Town Shoes
Former Source
Either Garage or Dynamite(can't remember which, but just renovating)
Soon to be HMV

+Smitty's within the mall and Havik/Yoga Mala "outside".

And it's Garage. Dynamite closed down within the last year for their own reno as well though I think.

And after Telus moves to the old Danier, the current Telus will be the one boarded up. Presumably the same thing with the Second Cup space/Timmy's.

One Brick also had me thinking of the Sasktel side... One new retailer that would be a big enough draw to invigorate that side of the mall... Victoria's Secret (if they ever decided to come to Regina).

Edit: The reno also has me thinking... I wonder if they'll rework the entrance enough to create a direct door to the outside from Timmy's (assuming they move to the Second Cup space). Would allow them to stay open longer if they wanted to.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 8, 2017 3:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7704603)
+Smitty's within the mall and Havik/Yoga Mala "outside".

And it's Garage. Dynamite closed down within the last year for their own reno as well though I think.

And after Telus moves to the old Danier, the current Telus will be the one boarded up. Presumably the same thing with the Second Cup space/Timmy's.

One Brick also had me thinking of the Sasktel side... One new retailer that would be a big enough draw to invigorate that side of the mall... Victoria's Secret (if they ever decided to come to Regina).

Edit: The reno also has me thinking... I wonder if they'll rework the entrance enough to create a direct door to the outside from Timmy's (assuming they move to the Second Cup space). Would allow them to stay open longer if they wanted to.

Yeah, I feel like the Sasktel side needs one big huge draw like a Victoria Secret and Starbucks. I also want a Cinnabon in the Cornwall Centre.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 8, 2017 3:50 AM

Also just noticed, did ALDO close at the Southland Mall? It is not mentioned on the map or store list of Southland Mall's website....

Update: just received email confirmation from oneREIT that that location is now closed. That is a huge blow to Southland Mall regarding national tenants, especially regarding upscale shoes.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 8, 2017 6:42 AM

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews...?client=safari

youngregina Feb 9, 2017 8:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7704920)

Worst kept secret. Man, H&M should really get ahead on this one. Just announce something small, maybe a teaser ad. But this silence is doing nothing to make people excited, just irritating.

HomeInMyShoes Feb 9, 2017 2:15 PM

When the build time is as long as it is going to be then not much need to get excited until fall maybe.

bulldog14 Feb 10, 2017 4:27 PM

I have heard a rumour that MAC Cosmetics is moving into the Bentley store space.

Stormer Feb 10, 2017 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldog14 (Post 7707879)
I have heard a rumour that MAC Cosmetics is moving into the Bentley store space.

If true, I believe that would be another Saskatchewan first, although the Hudson's Bay in each of Saskatoon and Regina have a MAC store inside.

Dan0myte Feb 10, 2017 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7704754)
Also just noticed, did ALDO close at the Southland Mall? It is not mentioned on the map or store list of Southland Mall's website....

Update: just received email confirmation from oneREIT that that location is now closed. That is a huge blow to Southland Mall regarding national tenants, especially regarding upscale shoes.

Although it's a temporary hit to the lease revenue for oneREIT, it's more a sign of the times with regards to shoe stores. With the popularity of internet shoe shopping sites, more and more people are turning to the internet for their shoes. Brick & mortar shoe shops just aren't as necessary as they once were.

The closure of the Sketcher's store in the Cornwall is another example. Prime storefront location in the mall with high traffic, big brand name, just can't make a go of it anymore. Too much competition at lower prices.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 11, 2017 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan0myte (Post 7708082)
Although it's a temporary hit to the lease revenue for oneREIT, it's more a sign of the times with regards to shoe stores. With the popularity of internet shoe shopping sites, more and more people are turning to the internet for their shoes. Brick & mortar shoe shops just aren't as necessary as they once were.

The closure of the Sketcher's store in the Cornwall is another example. Prime storefront location in the mall with high traffic, big brand name, just can't make a go of it anymore. Too much competition at lower prices.

It also will open up a larger space for a bigger tenant too on that side.

Stormer Feb 13, 2017 7:05 PM

There is hoarding up around the future H&M at the 11h Ave entrance of the Cornwall Centre.

one_brick_at_a_time Feb 13, 2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7710626)
There is hoarding up around the future H&M at the 11h Ave entrance of the Cornwall Centre.

Would anyone be able to visit the mall to take some pictures of all this? Would be nice to have a visual :)