SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Future Canadian Skylines (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161213)

kwoldtimer Jul 18, 2013 3:00 AM

[QUOTE=frenchcanadian3;6201758]
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwoldtimer (Post 6201551)
I'd be a bit surprised if the government would agree to hold an international design competition (national, maybe?).

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/rive-...ure-champlain/
I know it is in french, but it does thejob. There are many other articles on Radiocanada.ca . But be careful, since this is Rad-Can, it is usually completely biased information towards anti-federalism. A lot of Rad-can hosts *Guy A Lepage/ GĂ©rald Fillion* are extremely biased towards the PQ party and usually make everything of Federal government involment seem completely evil, even though they are the ones paying them. So once you're done reading on the biased Champlain bridge, get the fuck out of the site, urgently!

Yes, I see that Montreal is asking for a design competition, I'm just sceptical about the government agreeing to the idea, unless perhaps if they calculate that it will win them some seats in the Montreal area in 2015. I could be wrong but I don't think any federally funded project has been the result of an international design competition. In any event, they are certainly under pressure to ensure that it's more than just a functional crossing.

Beedok Jul 18, 2013 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim (Post 6201765)
And if it isn't, it is at worst tied with the commie block boom of the 70's.

Sadly it's less aesthetically pleasing.:(

Doug Jul 25, 2013 8:04 PM

Courtesy of CtlAltDel showing Calgary's new 1st, 3rd and 11th tallest:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4104/6dnp.jpg

Hard to believe that the proposed 571 ft Brookfield Place West won't even make the top 10. City Centre I (558 ft) is u/c and 3 Eau Claire is due to break ground this fall. Calgary will likely have 19 buildings over 500 ft within 3 years, 22 if Brookfield West, King's on Fifth and City Centre II go ahead.

Wooster Jul 25, 2013 10:26 PM

Time for Calgary to start breaching that 900ft and 1000ft barrier. Quite a few buildings in the range from 690ft and 810ft. But pretty great that 4 of our top 5 tallest will all have been completed between 2012 and 2017.

travis3000 Jul 25, 2013 10:47 PM

^ In time I think Calgary will build a 900ft building. So far they are doing incredible! And considering Toronto hasn't even broke the 1000ft barrier (not including CN Tower and antennas), it might even be longer before either Calgary or Toronto actually gets a 1000ft+ tower. I am all for it, Canada needs its first super tall. And that render looks sweet!! I would like to see a complete render of Calgary showing the new Brookfield Place towers, as well as Telus Tower and Kings On Fifth. To give a complete idea of what Calgary will look like come 2018.

vegeta_skyline Jul 26, 2013 5:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooster (Post 6210612)
Time for Calgary to start breaching that 900ft and 1000ft barrier. Quite a few buildings in the range from 690ft and 810ft. But pretty great that 4 of our top 5 tallest will all have been completed between 2012 and 2017.

Not that Calgary isn't deserving of a building over 1000ft, but we here in Toronto have been waiting a heck of a long time for one with 13 built & u/c buildings above 690ft and 18 over 200m without a single supertall. :hell:
In the entire world, only Singapore(23 & 29) and Tokyo(14 & 23) have more 690ft & 200m tall buildings without having a supertall.

WhipperSnapper Jul 26, 2013 5:14 AM

Well, maybe a supertall is not in the cards for Toronto. For sure the economics are better in Calgary (energy vs financial services) and possibly the zoning too.

TallBob Jul 26, 2013 5:41 AM

Wooster: I never thought you were one for the 900-1000 footers! Good to have you on board.... LOL Just my thoughts while we're on the subject, it really wouldn't take much for Brookfield to add some height to 225 6th, at least get close to 900'.

travis3000 Jul 26, 2013 12:56 PM

If Toronto is going to get a 1000ft+ building it will not be from a commercial tower... it will be either a mixed use commercial/residential, or fully residential. And I bet we will see the first one approved in the next 5 years.

Calgary on the other hand would probably get one that is solely commercial. It would be great if someone did, and to be honest it would either be TO or Calg. I can't see it happening anywhere else in Canada.

caltrane74 Jul 26, 2013 1:56 PM

Oxford Place is the only legitimate chance, and our only chance at a supertall. The good news is that there are two towers, the bad news is it will take a very long time to move through the approval, demolition and construction process. And there is always a chance of a let down at the very end, a la Trump with respect to a downgrade bump to below supertall status, just before construction.

Chadillaccc Jul 26, 2013 2:00 PM

I'm sure we can all agree on the sentiment that it is a VERY good thing that Trump did not become Canada's first supertall.

travis3000 Jul 26, 2013 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caltrane74 (Post 6211292)
Oxford Place is the only legitimate chance, and our only chance at a supertall. The good news is that there are two towers, the bad news is it will take a very long time to move through the approval, demolition and construction process. And there is always a chance of a let down at the very end, a la Trump with respect to a downgrade bump to below supertall status, just before construction.

I don't think Oxford Place is our only chance at all. Other plans can happen so fast. For all you know, we could have a new proposal this fall and it could be under construction within two years. You never know how things pan out. Even a small change with the 1 Yonge proposal, 2 Bloor, Mirvish buildings, and BOOM there's a supertall. One thing I'm certain of, it will probably happen when we least expect it and come from somewhere nobody would ever guess.

RyeJay Jul 26, 2013 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travis3000 (Post 6211379)
I don't think Oxford Place is our only chance at all. Other plans can happen so fast. For all you know, we could have a new proposal this fall and it could be under construction within two years. You never know how things pan out. Even a small change with the 1 Yonge proposal, 2 Bloor, Mirvish buildings, and BOOM there's a supertall. One thing I'm certain of, it will probably happen when we least expect it and come from somewhere nobody would ever guess.

I agree. Toronto will see more proposals. A supertall will come, eventually. But to be honest, I would be fine if the city never saw a supertall if it meant that the city's current pace of skyscraper construction was sustainable.

Aside from what we're seeing in the sky...at the street level, the city is lagging behind on streetscape improvements and the creation of green space adequate to service this ever-more plentiful population.

mistercorporate Jul 26, 2013 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travis3000 (Post 6211379)

Exactly, let's not forget that all the projects above were proposed within the last 1 year ;) Toronto will probably have a couple supertalls either under construction or completed within 10 years, whether its Oxford Place or something else.

WhipperSnapper Jul 26, 2013 4:16 PM

True, who know what the future holds but we can make calculated guess. Any supertall would likely be outside of the traditional core. Most of the sites that would allow a supertall in the CBD are heavily built out. I think we should expect One Yonge's proposal to be drastically reduced in density (which likely will equate to height) when the re-zoning is all said and done. It's an absolutely incredible amount what Pinnacle has proposed. The Mirvish towers have such little chance of being built that I'm not sure why they are even discussed as more than someone's vision. On top of that, the towers are grossly oversized and lack sufficient parking to gain approval as they currently stand.

caltrane74 Jul 26, 2013 4:20 PM

I think the city is needy in terms of cash for transit, and this density although great actually reduces the need for additional expensive suburban transit maintenance and expansion. I see One Yonge going ahead with only slight modifications and major condo cash from Pinnacle to the city to offset the greater density proposed.

Ramako Jul 26, 2013 4:24 PM

I think the absolute perfect site for a supertall would be the site of the World's Biggest Bookstore and the adjacent properties fronting on to Yonge just north of Dundas. It's on the subway, near Yonge-Dundas Square, not in the way of any important sightlines, and there's nothing nearby to shadow. From a skyline perspective, it wouldn't compete with the CN Tower, and probably wouldn't even be visible from the lake. I'm hoping for something massive there.

WhipperSnapper Jul 26, 2013 4:40 PM

Nevermind transit. The utilities operating in Toronto are currently in need of a billion dollar just to prevent the systems from breaking down. A project of Pinnacle size duplicated several times over would only exacerbate that need. I hope the city looks above of simply landing a wad of cash. The density proposed is ridiculous and goes against the countless dollars and hours spent to design a livable city. The suggestion that a reduction in density to something more reasonable equates to increased suburban transit funding is mind boggling to say the least.

TallBob Jul 26, 2013 5:18 PM

Going to be a long time, if ever, Calgary would ever get a 1000 footer built. Toronto will be the first.

FrAnKs Jul 26, 2013 5:29 PM

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8620/o989.jpg