SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGOLAND | Urban Development in the Burbs (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198789)

Kumdogmillionaire Jan 24, 2018 5:23 AM

Evanston is going to have a smaller skyline than OakPark in no time with this sort of shit

left of center Jan 24, 2018 5:48 AM

^ Hah, that was going to be my comment exactly.

Oak Park has been on fire lately. The area immediately around the Harlem Ave Green Line stop has seen significant improvement over the last few years. Very cool stuff. Now if only River Forest would do something about the southwest corner of Harlem/Lake. Forest Park should push some development on Circle/Lake as well. TOD, people!

harryc Jan 24, 2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8058485)
^ Hah, that was going to be my comment exactly.

Oak Park has been on fire lately. The area immediately around the Harlem Ave Green Line stop has seen significant improvement over the last few years. Very cool stuff. Now if only River Forest would do something about the southwest corner of Harlem/Lake. Forest Park should push some development on Circle/Lake as well. TOD, people!

Green line to Morgan - Evanston just can't offer that - plus we are way cooler than they are.

the urban politician Jan 24, 2018 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8058568)
Green line to Morgan - Evanston just can't offer that - plus we are way cooler than they are.

Sigh.... if only the L had better inter connectivity. In which case all areas would benefit.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 24, 2018 2:49 PM

I like how the L only benefits very specific areas at a time, makes profiting off of gentrification very easy...

Mr Downtown Jan 24, 2018 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8058669)
if only the L had better inter connectivity.

Interconnectivity with what, exactly?

left of center Jan 24, 2018 5:37 PM

Quote:

As a former near west suburbanite myself, I completely agree.

:cheers:

the urban politician Jan 24, 2018 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8058822)
Interconnectivity with what, exactly?

Within itself, outside of downtown

Steely Dan Jan 24, 2018 6:38 PM

Quote:

plus we are way cooler than they are.

nuh-uh.

evanston is literally cooler (by the lake).

:D

maru2501 Jan 24, 2018 6:41 PM

^clearly need some spurs off the blue line at this point, to mention just one example, not to mention building an L line over Ashland for N-S

IrishIllini Jan 24, 2018 6:54 PM

I'm totally okay with Oak Park having a larger skyline than Evanston. We need some height away from the lake.

I do wish Evanston's NIMBY council was a bit less NIMBY-ish though. Skokie has great bones and should aggressively court developers of denied proposals in Evanston. Maybe the Belmont Flyover will open up the possibility of routing the yellow line through the Loop during the rush. The Purple Line could be routed through the State St. subway since the trains have greater capacity and the red line is wall to wall during the rush.

sukwoo Jan 24, 2018 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishIllini (Post 8059137)
I'm totally okay with Oak Park having a larger skyline than Evanston. We need some height away from the lake.

I do wish Evanston's NIMBY council was a bit less NIMBY-ish though. Skokie has great bones and should aggressively court developers of denied proposals in Evanston. Maybe the Belmont Flyover will open up the possibility of routing the yellow line through the Loop during the rush. The Purple Line could be routed through the State St. subway since the trains have greater capacity and the red line is wall to wall during the rush.

There's quite a bit of NIMBY here in Oak Park too. Unfortunately for them, the village government is hellbent on densification.

left of center Jan 24, 2018 7:44 PM

^ Good thing for that too. Oak Park has excellent transit connections, with 2 CTA lines and a Metra line. Very lively downtown with lots of foot traffic, easily accessible retail/restaurant options for pedestrians. Really no need for a car if you live there and work in town or the city.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 24, 2018 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8059102)
nuh-uh.

evanston is literally cooler (by the lake).

:D

You clearly have spent too much time in Rogers Park if you are using sales pitches from Loyolas marketing campaign.

Domer2019 Jan 24, 2018 10:46 PM

Only one has the Bahá'í House of Worship... (yeah, it's in Wilmette, whatever).

Evanston could and should be much more than it is today. It's Chicago's mini-me.

Pioneer Jan 25, 2018 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8058459)
Evanston is going to have a smaller skyline than OakPark in no time with this sort of shit

suck it, eTown

KWillChicago Jan 25, 2018 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8058459)

Maybe oak park will be chicago's Bronx in the next 20 years.

Freefall Jan 25, 2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8060917)
Maybe oak park will be chicago's Bronx in the next 20 years.

Yeah, I'm sure they'd love that

ardecila Jan 26, 2018 4:59 AM

^ Not while the majority of Oak Park is leafy residential streets with mansions and tidy bungalows and foursquares. The Bronx is orders of magnitude denser than Oak Park will ever be.

The downtown development in Oak Park may boost transit ridership and support more local businesses because of concentration, but it's just a drop in the bucket for the overall density of Oak Park - whose village population has been creeping downward in virtually every census since 1940, despite numerous waves of big developments.

left of center Jan 26, 2018 6:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8061685)
^ Not while the majority of Oak Park is leafy residential streets with mansions and tidy bungalows and foursquares. The Bronx is orders of magnitude denser than Oak Park will ever be.

The downtown development in Oak Park may boost transit ridership and support more local businesses because of concentration, but it's just a drop in the bucket for the overall density of Oak Park - whose village population has been creeping downward in virtually every census since 1940, despite numerous waves of big developments.

Decreasing family size/increasing average square footage of living space is a bitch. Evanston is also down from its 1960 peak, albeit by not as much as Oak Park. I wonder at the dynamics that have caused the difference in the drop off for both towns.