SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 1, 2017 3:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7881322)
Regina isn't Toronto, or Vancouver. If you don't think retailers like American Eagle, or Below the Belt are going to see a drop in sales, you are kidding yourself.

By this logic all the malls with failed anchors should now be doing better.

jigglysquishy Aug 1, 2017 3:47 AM

H&M should be great for downtown and will pull people downtown that nevergo downtown.

TechnicalRecession Aug 1, 2017 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7881322)
Regina isn't Toronto, or Vancouver. If you don't think retailers like American Eagle, or Below the Belt are going to see a drop in sales, you are kidding yourself.

So just to clarify, you are saying:

A drop in sales = most clothing stores in the mall folding?

That's a lot of stores closing based on your logic, not sure you are making much sense..

Drofmab Aug 1, 2017 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession (Post 7881353)
So just to clarify, you are saying:

A drop in sales = most clothing stores in the mall folding?

That's a lot of stores closing based on your logic, not sure you are making much sense..

Nonsense. H&M has 82 stores in Canada... if it's so bad for other clothing retailers, why haven't we heard anything about the retail destruction that follows H&M openings in smaller markets like Regina.

Are the Stonecutters keeping it under wraps?

Stormer Aug 1, 2017 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7881395)
Nonsense. H&M has 82 stores in Canada... if it's so bad for other clothing retailers, why haven't we heard anything about the retail destruction that follows H&M openings in smaller markets like Regina.

Are the Stonecutters keeping it under wraps?

Chain stores in particular insist on being near other chains.

Regina Boi Aug 1, 2017 6:58 PM

Remember when ya'll said Lulu Lemon was going to draw people to downtown?? Don't think that quite materialized.

Regina Boi Aug 1, 2017 7:01 PM

Here's an article from last year that some of you should take a read through:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cana...sing-1.3485248

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 1, 2017 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7881834)
Remember when ya'll said Lulu Lemon was going to draw people to downtown?? Don't think that quite materialized.

What's your evidence it didn't draw people to the mall?

You're talking out of your ass.

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 1, 2017 7:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7881840)
Here's an article from last year that some of you should take a read through:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cana...sing-1.3485248

That article does not support your harebrained theory though...

jigglysquishy Aug 1, 2017 7:30 PM

Downtown is the busiest it's been in my lifetime. Instead office space, exclusive retailers, and new pubs have all played a part in that.

Regina Boi Aug 1, 2017 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7881875)
Downtown is the busiest it's been in my lifetime. Instead office space, exclusive retailers, and new pubs have all played a part in that.

Well if any of you are in the food and beverage industry, you will already know that several of the new food and drinking establishments downtown have been struggling this year. Malt City in particular is one. Admittedly I haven't heard much about the Capital, however most nights I have gone this year, it has only been half full. I see they now have half price drinks some evenings, so that typically isn't something a profitable bar does, especially in the summer. Atlantis was not able to profit off of their new location either.

Downtown has some serious fundamental flaws that need to be addressed before private business can truly be successful. Regina is a small prairie city with only so many people to visit bars and restaurants downtown. The market is clearly saturated. The PST certainly doesn't help either.

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 1, 2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7881891)
Well if any of you are in the food and beverage industry, you will already know that several of the new food and drinking establishments downtown have been struggling this year. Malt City in particular is one. Admittedly I haven't heard much about the Capital, however most nights I have gone this year, it has only been half full. I see they now have half price drinks some evenings, so that typically isn't something a profitable bar does, especially in the summer. Atlantis was not able to profit off of their new location either.

Downtown has some serious fundamental flaws that need to be addressed before private business can truly be successful. Regina is a small prairie city with only so many people to visit bars and restaurants downtown. The market is clearly saturated. The PST certainly doesn't help either.

The restaurant business has and always will be the most brutal. The PST is a very, very small part of any of this.

That Malt City didn't make it doesn't mean that downtown isn't growing.

TechnicalRecession Aug 2, 2017 3:00 AM

[QUOTE=Regina Boi;7881891]Well if any of you are in the food and beverage industry, you will already know that several of the new food and drinking establishments downtown have been struggling this year. Malt City in particular is one. Admittedly I haven't heard much about the Capital, however most nights I have gone this year, it has only been half full. I see they now have half price drinks some evenings, so that typically isn't something a profitable bar does, especially in the summer. Atlantis was not able to profit off of their new location either.

Downtown has some serious fundamental flaws that need to be addressed before private business can truly be successful. Regina is a small prairie city with only so many people to visit bars and restaurants downtown. The market is clearly saturated. The PST certainly doesn't help either.[/QUOTESo

You seem to be changing your point. First it was the opening of H and M was going to be doom and gloom for the other existing retailers in the mall. A pretty simple statement and I think people on this blog are calling BS on such a simplistic statement. Now you are saying downtown has flaws and that is the reason businesses are closing. So which is it? The arrival of a large European retailer or the inherent flaws in downtown?

Perhaps some of the challenges are related to a poor economy, increased taxes, more competition etc etc..

Drofmab Aug 2, 2017 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7881875)

Bingo! Same for my lifetime. Solid foot traffic at all hours - unlike just 6-7 years ago where downtown became a ghost town around 5-6pm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7882114)

6-7 years ago there were a couple dining options downtown after the business day (Beer Bros; O'Han's/Copper Kettle; whatever was in Crave's spot; Golf's; Diplomat; and a couple others). Now we also have Capitol; Malt City; Flip; Victoria's; Fat Badger; Caraway; Wild Sage; Rooftop; probably a couple other I'm forgetting). That Malt City & Flip have struggled against new entrants isn't necessarily a sign that downtown isn't growing... it may simply represent market forces - Malt City's atmosphere & food were OK, not great, just OK. People can choose to walk elsewhere.

I'm not denying that there are issues downtown needs to address - the biggest is pre-conceived notions. I can't convince my family that parking is available, and downtown is busy (read: safe). No matter how hard I try, they simply refuse to believe it.

Regina Boi Aug 3, 2017 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7882114)
The restaurant business has and always will be the most brutal. The PST is a very, very small part of any of this.

LOL, to say the PST has little to do with a drop in sales is moronic and completely uneducated. Any business that has to increase prices by 6% overnight is going to see a drop in sales. Yes, food and beverage is a tough business to make a profit in, but adding that increase was the final kick in the face. Many of us are in the same boat, and that is why you are now seeing so many announcements of closures of the past month. As I have said, I know many food and beverage owners as we are all quite close. More closures are coming.

I own 4 businesses, 2 in Regina and 2 in Mexico. My Mexican assets by far have a much larger ROI than the Regina assets. I'm closing one business here and putting several people out of work, because I simply can't afford the additional overhead of increased utilities, PST on more goods I purchase, and PST on my already ridiculous insurance premiums. The list goes on and on.

Additionally, once Brad sells off 49% of the crowns, you are kidding yourself if you think there will not be job losses. That is also going to be a huge blow to the downtown. I'm already hearing some of the estimates of what the gov't is expecting in terms of reductions.

I love when people who don't own businesses think they have all the answers.

Stormer Aug 3, 2017 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7884067)
LOL, to say the PST has little to do with a drop in sales is moronic and completely uneducated. Any business that has to increase prices by 6% overnight is going to see a drop in sales. Yes, food and beverage is a tough business to make a profit in, but adding that increase was the final kick in the face. Many of us are in the same boat, and that is why you are now seeing so many announcements of closures of the past month. As I have said, I know many food and beverage owners as we are all quite close. More closures are coming.

I own 4 businesses, 2 in Regina and 2 in Mexico. My Mexican assets by far have a much larger ROI than the Regina assets. I'm closing one business here and putting several people out of work, because I simply can't afford the additional overhead of increased utilities, PST on more goods I purchase, and PST on my already ridiculous insurance premiums. The list goes on and on.

Additionally, once Brad sells off 49% of the crowns, you are kidding yourself if you think there will not be job losses. That is also going to be a huge blow to the downtown. I'm already hearing some of the estimates of what the gov't is expecting in terms of reductions.

I have to agree, Governments think they can just keep taxing and raising costs through regulation and do not worry about the consequences. Just wait for the $15 minimum wage that is already going forward in BC, AB and ON. That will be a killer for restaurants.

Regina Boi Aug 3, 2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7884170)
I have to agree, Governments think they can just keep taxing and raising costs through regulation and do not worry about the consequences. Just wait for the $15 minimum wage that is already going forward in BC, AB and ON. That will be a killer for restaurants.

Yeah, I have no idea how they will be able to absorb that. I strongly believe in people being paid what they are worth, however mandating $15.00 per hour is crazy. There are better ways of compensating employees.

For example, most people here would not know that in Mexico, it's the law that you provide your staff with a Christmas bonus and staff are entitled to a percentage of your businesses profits at fiscal year end. So while most of my staff make between $450-$600 a month, they get a sizeable amount of money at the end of the year. This is one of the reasons they work so hard. They know that the stronger they perform, the better the business does, and the more money will they will make.

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 4, 2017 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7884067)

I love when bad operators assume they know what everyone else does.

Regina Boi Aug 4, 2017 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7884367)
I love when bad operators assume they know what everyone else does.

:koko:

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 4, 2017 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7884881)
:koko:

I can make assumptions too.

You act like business adaptation is simply impossible. The companies that go under due to the PST would have done so regardless.

You are acting like other provinces do not levy taxes on restaurants when in fact the majority already do.

Regina Boi Aug 4, 2017 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7884943)
I can make assumptions too.

You act like business adaptation is simply impossible. The companies that go under due to the PST would have done so regardless.

You are acting like other provinces do not levy taxes on restaurants when in fact the majority already do.

You should maybe read what I said before you comment. The PST is proving to be a final blow to many food and beverage businesses that were already struggling. And to suggest we are "poor operators" again goes to show you need to educate yourself before you comment on issues you simply do not know enough about.

I believe the budget came out on March 22nd, and we literally had 9 days to implement it (and don't think our accountants set everything up and will administer it out of the goodness of their hearts). Sorry if you feel we didn't adapt quickly enough. Furthermore, all of our budgets were already planned for the year. Yes we plan for increased expenses, but not to the extent this budget brought in. They've hurt all small business, but it is particular worse for our industry.

Oh gosh, the job numbers came out today. Looks like there are a TON of poor business operators out there in Saskatchewan:

Saskatchewan’s job losses are outpacing growth of new positions, according to the latest employment numbers from Statistics Canada.

The July labour force survey shows the province shed 2,700 full-time jobs from June to July, while adding 2,300 part-time positions.

As a result, Saskatchewan’s unemployment rate rose from 6.5 per cent in June to 6.6 per cent in July.

You should have a chat with some small business owners around the city and see if they agree with you. I am quite confident they will laugh you out their establishments. Even Brad's pals at the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, Canadian Taxpayers Federation, Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce, Regina Chamber of Commerce, Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce and countless other business federations have slammed the Sask Party over this budget. From CJME

Drofmab Aug 5, 2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7885008)
I believe the budget came out on March 22nd, and we literally had 9 days to implement it (and don't think our accountants set everything up and will administer it out of the goodness of their hearts). Sorry if you feel we didn't adapt quickly enough. Furthermore, all of our budgets were already planned for the year. Yes we plan for increased expenses, but not to the extent this budget brought in. They've hurt all small business, but it is particular worse for our industry.

It is bad policy to implement such as significant change with virtually no notice. Even the best run organization would have a tough time adjusting business plans, etc.

This said, the fact that we now charge PST on meals simply brings us in line with every other province except BC & AB. All other provinces charge between 13-15% on restaurant meals. Sask charges 11%.

So, yes - this will impact businesses, as they don't have time to prepare & adapt. Is it insurmountable? Nope - we've got 7 provinces that prove the industry can survive & thrive with consumption taxes of 13-15% on meals. Implementation was the issue in Sask. 5 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see fewer restaurants/pubs.

Getting back to our original discussion - this doesn't mean that downtown Regina is failing, I'd put money on the fact DT Regina will still have a net increase of restaurants in 2022 compared to 2012. And downtown will still be busier/more retail activity than in 2012, or 2007.

Drofmab Aug 16, 2017 6:41 PM

Fencing went up yesterday for the new 10,000sqft Sobeys Liquor at Southland Mall (on the old Turbo pad, next to CIBC).

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the 15,000sqft 'Bison Liquor' that is planned for Golden Mile (taking up most of the Extra foods space). As I understand, it can't be a transfer of one of the new liquor licensees (they can't transfer until next year, IIRC). An existing off-sale seems more likely (15,000 is a lot of space for a liquor store) - perhaps Bonzinni's is up for a move/expansion of their offsale? Anyone heard good rumours?

Festivus Aug 17, 2017 1:32 AM

At this rate, South Albert will be all grocery and liquor stores by 2024.

brithgob Aug 17, 2017 3:01 AM

Work also appears to have begun on the new Save-On Foods at Acre 21 (Chuka Blvd. just north of Arcola.) Also confirmed, according to the sign, are Shoppers Drug Mart, Boston Pizza, McDonald's, DQ, and Co-op gas/car wash/c-store

Robag Aug 17, 2017 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brithgob (Post 7895387)
Work also appears to have begun on the new Save-On Foods at Acre 21 (Chuka Blvd. just north of Arcola.) Also confirmed, according to the sign, are Shoppers Drug Mart, Boston Pizza, McDonald's, DQ, and Co-op gas/car wash/c-store

As this point, the only physical structure that is going up is the Co-op gas bar. Lots of utility work over the summer, but I do expect some of the other structures to start going up soon.

Dan0myte Aug 17, 2017 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 7895299)
At this rate, South Albert will be all grocery and liquor stores by 2024.

What does that say about south enders? All they do is eat and drink? :shrug:

Stormer Aug 22, 2017 7:16 PM

2 of 3 new shops (Sara Lindsay and Queen V) are open in Shoppes on Hamilton. Two Fifty Two opening this fall.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9S...=w1216-h912-no

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 23, 2017 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7900340)
2 of 3 new shops (Sara Lindsay and Queen V) are open in Shoppes on Hamilton. Two Fifty Two opening this fall.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's taken awhile but it's nice to see that Harvard came to their senses and offered realistic rates so good shops could go in those locations.

StealthGirl Aug 23, 2017 3:56 PM

Twofiftytwo is a company out of Saskatoon. Judging by the fact they offer in house alterations and private shopping parties, this looks to be fairly high end women's clothing.

Sara Lindsay is a Regina-owned store.

Queen V originally opened in 2012 and was sold in 2016. It looks like mostly it's been pop up shops up to now. Also locally owned, I think.

Is Hamilton returning to its past as a high end clothing destination?

StealthGirl Aug 23, 2017 4:04 PM

In Grasslands/Harbour Landing...

Justice Clothing (tween clothing) opening Sept 12 in the same strip at Rickis.

Structube (modern furniture) will be opening next to Designer Shoe Warehouse. No date yet.

Romantic Nails is open on the retail ground of The Residences next to the Brewhouse.

Brown's Social House is negotiating but no official announcement of a HL location.

Stormer Aug 23, 2017 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7901260)
Twofiftytwo is a company out of Saskatoon. Judging by the fact they offer in house alterations and private shopping parties, this looks to be fairly high end women's clothing.

Sara Lindsay is a Regina-owned store.

Queen V originally opened in 2012 and was sold in 2016. It looks like mostly it's been pop up shops up to now. Also locally owned, I think.

Is Hamilton returning to its past as a high end clothing destination?

The 18 block Hamilton is definitely getting some traction as a destination for local fashion retailers. You also have Oliver's in the 19 block and VIP and Dean Renwick around the corner on 12th. It is too bad Nico and Zoe's moved out of downtown when they were evicted by the Globe Theatre.

StealthGirl Aug 23, 2017 7:25 PM

Tramps on Scarth Street is closing. It was mis-managed into the ground. 9000 square feet. I didn't realize it was that big.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...mps-is-closing

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 24, 2017 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7901540)
Tramps on Scarth Street is closing. It was mis-managed into the ground. 9000 square feet. I didn't realize it was that big.

It's not. The whole building is less than 9000 and there are apartments above the store. And he's only renting.

one_brick_at_a_time Aug 24, 2017 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7901540)

I am so excited for the redevelopment of this spot!

yveseluj Aug 24, 2017 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7901276)
Brown's Social House is negotiating but no official announcement of a HL location.

Hasn't this been in the works for quite a while? The building has been sitting vacant for at least a year now.

BrutallyDishonest2 Aug 24, 2017 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yveseluj (Post 7902000)
Hasn't this been in the works for quite a while? The building has been sitting vacant for at least a year now.

Brown's expanded too fast and has no money to finish their tenant improvements.

Drofmab Aug 24, 2017 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7902007)
Brown's expanded too fast and has no money to finish their tenant improvements.

Still has dirt floors.

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 18, 2017 8:55 PM

I was looking at the Cornwall Centre Sears area and another thought that came to mind was one or two restaurants with street front with even atleast one on the corner of Sask Drive and Hamilton Street. Of course room for lots of new Retail on both floors, but a sit down eating option or two included in that space and maybe a street front bar/restaurant on the Hamilton Street side main floor directly across from the parking lot south of the Delta would be perfect to open up the current retro tile closed in Sears wall.

Any ideas and thoughts on what you think should happen or what you think will happen?

I also wish they would extend the mall building to the sidewalk regarding the concrete court yard between SaskTel and Sears on the north.

FIRST FLOOR
https://i.imgur.com/nIkgCohh.png
SECOND FLOOR
https://i.imgur.com/xi5DlgFh.png

They have such an opportunity when Sears closes.

View from Sask Drive
https://images.radio-canada.ca/w_635...in-sears-2.png

View from Hamilton Street Side
https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.45182...2!8i6656?dcr=0

I feel like Sears closing is actually a huge blessing for the Cornwall Centre and its redevelopment.

Stormer Sep 18, 2017 9:08 PM

I really like the idea of getting rid of the north courtyard and extending the mall right to Sask Dr. though Sears. That courtyard is hideous.

Opening up the Sears main floor exterior walls is a must.

Dan0myte Sep 18, 2017 9:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7926188)
Any ideas and thoughts on what you think should happen or what you think will happen?

Something similar to the main floor of the Avord Tower (Atlantis/Flip) would be wonderful. Set back glass curtain with outdoor seating along it. Multiple spots for sandwich shops, coffee shops or bistros.

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 18, 2017 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan0myte (Post 7926231)
something similar to the main floor of the avord tower (atlantis/flip) would be wonderful. Set back glass curtain with outdoor seating along it. Multiple spots for sandwich shops, coffee shops or bistros.

Love!

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 18, 2017 10:15 PM

My thoughts:

https://i.imgur.com/5yLLPdRh.jpg

Stormer Sep 18, 2017 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan0myte (Post 7926231)
Something similar to the main floor of the Avord Tower (Atlantis/Flip) would be wonderful. Set back glass curtain with outdoor seating along it. Multiple spots for sandwich shops, coffee shops or bistros.

That is straight of Jenifer Keesmatt's 2010 Downtown Neighborhood Plan.

Big Move 7: Friendly Façades
Existing buildings, at street level, remediated to create a lively, animated
pedestrian realm.
Following the lead of the Atlantis Coffee site, existing buildings that do not support the
experience of the pedestrian will be transformed to enhance it. The Cornwall Centre, on
all sides, will be opened to the street; existing parking structures will be transformed to
have active uses at grade; and office buildings will have greater transparency at the
street.

http://www.designregina.ca/wp-conten...urhoodPlan.pdf

Stormer Sep 20, 2017 3:14 PM

Starbucks on 11th looks like it is ready to open very soon. Apparently there are a few more coming as well.

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 20, 2017 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7927945)
Starbucks on 11th looks like it is ready to open very soon. Apparently there are a few more coming as well.

Anymore downtown?

Stormer Sep 20, 2017 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7927993)
Anymore downtown?

not at this time

one_brick_at_a_time Sep 23, 2017 3:38 AM

How many floors does the Tramps store on Scarth encompass? It would be an amazing flagship retail or perhaps restaurant and bar.

HomerSPC Sep 23, 2017 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7930946)
How many floors does the Tramps store on Scarth encompass? It would be an amazing flagship retail or perhaps restaurant and bar.

Two & a basement, I believe.

BrannyMuffin Sep 23, 2017 4:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7930946)

I've heard rumours that this is where the Artful Dodger is moving to. No idea if there's any truth to that, but they did mention on their Facebook page that their new location will be on Scarth Street.