SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Calgary Roads (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167427)

sheldonsgongshow Apr 9, 2011 4:18 PM

Prob never will never happen but I"d love to see Deerfoot be realigned over the river. The land to the east going north just before the river looks very suitable to use.

CalgaryChipmunk Apr 10, 2011 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mersar (Post 5220950)
Never heard anything about 9th ave, but its widely known that the city has looked into (and still wants to) eventually turn 11th and 12th avenues both back to two way traffic. A lot of the changes needed to make that happen will occur once the WLRT is opened (including the one necessary part of ading the intersection at 10th and 14th street)

Are they really creating an intersection at 10th Ave And 14th Street? Will this be a bridge over 14th Street? That would be great if its true, it makes more sense to drive down 10th Ave to get to Bow Trail.

frinkprof Apr 10, 2011 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalgaryChipmunk (Post 5235752)
Are they really creating an intersection at 10th Ave And 14th Street? Will this be a bridge over 14th Street? That would be great if its true, it makes more sense to drive down 10th Ave to get to Bow Trail.

It's supposed to be an intersection controlled with lights, and it was supposed to have been done by now.

frinkprof Apr 10, 2011 6:07 PM

Quote:

Barlow Trail has a soaring history

By Juliet Guichon, For The Calgary Herald April 10, 2011 7:34 AM

A section of Barlow Trail has closed permanently and may someday have a tunnel underneath. The man after whom it was named would humbly laugh that his namesake is in the news, but the irony of the road's current status would not be lost on Noel Barlow's friends.

This is because Barlow -a man of the land -had a great ambition: to soar above it. He financed his pilot's training by working underground. One way or another, Barlow would get into the air.

Born on Boxing Day in 1912 to Hannah and William Parry, Barlow hardly knew his father, who died in the Great War. Eventually marrying Richard Barlow, Barlow's mother and family homesteaded in Cessford, Alta.

As a boy on the bald prairie, Barlow saw small aircraft flying overhead and developed his expensive goal -to learn to fly. At 22, he worked in Yellowknife uranium mines for two years and returned with enough money to obtain a commercial pilot's licence at the Calgary Flying Club.

[...]

If Barlow Trail proves anything like the man, then, one way or another, the road will reach the airport.
Link to full article

RicoLance21 Apr 10, 2011 7:41 PM

What the hell??!!

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca.../stcrow-m2.pdf

Sorry for the language, but this has to be one of the worst-designed interchanges in Alberta. What a waste of space! Also, the weave zones on Crowchild may be a problem.

freeweed Apr 11, 2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicoLance21 (Post 5235849)
What a waste of space! Also, the weave zones on Crowchild may be a problem.

Err... the former is a direct result of preventing the latter.

That, plus noise abatement. No one wants to live right next to a freeway, and we've seen time and again what that does to local property. Having some semi-natural greenspace around it is a fantastic idea that benefits everyone.

CalgaryChipmunk Apr 11, 2011 3:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinkprof (Post 5235767)
It's supposed to be an intersection controlled with lights, and it was supposed to have been done by now.

hmm, it'd be nicer if there was a bridge over 14th for free flowing traffic, but I guess that would cost too much money.

RicoLance21 Apr 11, 2011 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeweed (Post 5236092)
Err... the former is a direct result of preventing the latter.

That, plus noise abatement. No one wants to live right next to a freeway, and we've seen time and again what that does to local property. Having some semi-natural greenspace around it is a fantastic idea that benefits everyone.

I know what you mean, because I was thinking about two flyovers (or under). Cost more, yes, but that would avoid any weave zones. Also, I wonder if another such alternative was considered by just have a regular cloverleaf, but adding a collector road next to Crowchild and two bridges to eliminate weaving on and off Stoney. This weaving could be moved off the main road of Crowchild. Not that I want to beat a dead horse..

Jimby Apr 11, 2011 4:41 AM

This winter has taken its toll on the roads. Are they ever in bad shape. The potholes aren't so bad, it is the bumpiness of the frost heaves that has me hanging on to the steering wheel.

DizzyEdge Apr 11, 2011 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinkprof (Post 5235767)

Anyone on here have any knowledge of an updated ETA?

edit: city website says:

Quote:

Project timeline

Construction will begin in spring 2011 and will be ongoing throughout summer. The majority of construction work will be completed this year, however some work may be deferred in order to coordinate with other work in the area.
This is for all Sunalta improvements though (boulevard and sidewalk widening, new sidewalks, new trees, 10th ave/14th st intersection work)

freeweed Apr 11, 2011 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimby (Post 5236424)
This winter has taken its toll on the roads. Are they ever in bad shape. The potholes aren't so bad, it is the bumpiness of the frost heaves that has me hanging on to the steering wheel.

If you've ever wondered what it's like to live in other prairie cities in Canada, go for a drive in Calgary this month.

I'm actually surprised the potholes aren't much, much worse. Give it another year or two of frost heave like this, and hilarity ensues.

fusili Apr 11, 2011 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicoLance21 (Post 5235849)
What the hell??!!

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca.../stcrow-m2.pdf

Sorry for the language, but this has to be one of the worst-designed interchanges in Alberta. What a waste of space! Also, the weave zones on Crowchild may be a problem.

That thing is the size of a small town. How much space does that thing take up?

kw5150 Apr 11, 2011 4:49 PM

What happen in the suburbs, stays in the suburbs. They can keep their shitty design ideals. BLAH.

Mazrim Apr 11, 2011 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusili (Post 5236790)
That thing is the size of a small town. How much space does that thing take up?

I'm just glad they used the space they bought 40 years ago properly. Why NOT make traffic flow better by using the space available to up the design speed of all the ramps?

Anyway, I did a rough estimate of the area affected by the grading of the entire interchange and it came to approximately 775,000m2.

Jack Doe Apr 11, 2011 6:44 PM

Crow/Stoney is basically a modified clover with an attempt to make the weave distances longer. Considering the land available and additional bridge costs, I think the traffic engineers screwed the pooch on this one. Wouldn't be the first time.

I foresee a massive rebuild in the future, similar to what Montreal is doing with some of their interchanges. The long nightmare which NW residents have had to put up with isn't over by a long shot.

Mazrim Apr 11, 2011 8:29 PM

I'll agree with you that it's certainly an odd design, but I'm not going to denounce it as I haven't seen the methodology behind it (traffic numbers, level of service indicators, etc.)

I guess we'll have to see how it does once it opens before we can properly rage on it.

You Need A Thneed Apr 11, 2011 9:00 PM

I'm guessing that the Crowchild interchange is going to work just fine. I don't know exactly why they just didn't add some flyover ramps, but it should work.

There are no weave zones for the primary road. The weave zones for the secondary road are quite long.

The number of left turners was probably low (relatively), making no reason to put in higher speed ramps. It's also probably significantly cheaper. Those are likely the reasons.

Mazrim Apr 11, 2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed (Post 5237327)
There are no weave zones for the primary road. The weave zones for the secondary road are quite long.

The WB weave is 200m long and the EB weave is 250m long...I'm not sure how adequate that will be on a road like Crowchild. For reference, the minimum weave length on Stoney Trail is 500m.

You Need A Thneed Apr 11, 2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazrim (Post 5237413)
The WB weave is 200m long and the EB weave is 250m long...I'm not sure how adequate that will be on a road like Crowchild. For reference, the minimum weave length on Stoney Trail is 500m.

Hmmm, I thought they were longer than that, but still a much better design than an actual cloverleaf.

Looking at the interchange design, at least there are good acceleration lanes for traffic merging onto Crowchild to get up to spped limit.

Also, speed limit is only 80 vs 100 on Stoney Trail, that would make a significant difference in weave length I think.

Mazrim Apr 11, 2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed (Post 5237499)
Looking at the interchange design, at least there are good acceleration lanes for traffic merging onto Crowchild to get up to spped limit.

I think if there's one thing we all can agree on here, it's that people in Calgary are terrible at using long merge lanes to get up to speed BEFORE merging. 16th Avenue onto NB Deerfoot gives me freaking nightmares.