SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Downtown & City of Portland (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   SW 10th and Yamhill Garage | Complete (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127743)

MarkDaMan Mar 20, 2007 6:25 PM

SW 10th and Yamhill Garage | Complete

http://www.pdc.us/images/ura/spb-ima...ll-garage1.jpg

okay, so there isn't information yet on the proposals, but there will be this week. Dougall has said he will try and snap pictures of the presentations, and I'm sure a few other forumers here will go and give us a recap...In case you've forgotten here is the information so far on the pdc's website.

10th & Yamhill Garage Redevelopment
Project Overview

The City's Office of Management and Finance (OMF) issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) on November 17, 2006 to four development teams for redevelopment of the 10th & Yamhill Garage. The four teams, selected from a previous Request for Qualifications (RFQ), which closed in June 2006, are Carroll Investments, Gerding Edlen Development, Parr Financial Oregon and Weston Investments Co.

The 10th & Yamhill Garage redevelopment is a partnership between the OMF and the Portland Development Commission (PDC). Joint project goals are:

* Improve street-level retail facades and corners
* Strengthen existing and promote new retailers for a more vibrant street level activity
* Introduce new residential development to enhance diverse street level activity
* Provide parking support to downtown businesses and retailers
* Establish a better link between the downtown retail and office activity to the West End of Downtown and Pearl District
* Maximize new taxes generated and leverage private financial resources
* Preserve City Smart Park revenue, minimize revenue loss during construction, and secure new revenue from the purchase or lease of developable air rights

Background

The 10th & Yamhill Garage is owned by OMF and is located at SW 9th and 10th Avenues and SW Yamhill and Morrison Streets within the South Park Blocks Urban Renewal Area. The 10th & Yamhill Garage is adjacent to the Midtown Blocks, also called the Park Avenue District.

In December 2004, BOORA Architects completed a study detailing conceptual design improvements. That study outlined the feasibility of proposed capital improvements to remodel the garage and "re-tenant" the ground floor retail spaces.

In July 2005, PDC convened a Stakeholder Advisory Committee to help develop and select a preferred redesign alternative for garage improvements. The following design elements were identified:

* "Fill in" the arcade on Morrison Street with expanded retail space, making the retail storefronts more visible
* Relocate the MAX stations (at an estimated cost of $1 million)
* Provide new stairs and elevators

Following work with the Stakeholder Advisory Committee, staff took a preliminary design with these elements to the Design Commission for a preliminary Design Advice Request on August 4, 2005. Comments from the Commissioners focused on:

* Maintaining MAX stations in place to retain connectivity of their current proximity to streetcar
* Enhancing rather than "filling in" the arcades and improving streetscapes.
* Focusing remodel efforts on lower, retail level of the garage
* Relocating vertical circulation components to allow for more corner visibility and retail entries

With this feedback, in November 2005, BOORA Architects completed a revised preferred design for remodeling and re-tenanting the garage including the Design Commission’s recommended elements.

In late 2005, OMF was approached with the idea of greater redevelopment of the site, including building a tower above the existing garage. On May 12, 2006, OMF with PDC input issued an RFQ requesting qualified development proposals for improvements to the existing garage and retail with new development above or the removal of the existing garage with public parking preserved in any new development. The RFQ closed June 19, 2006; the four proposals received included redevelopment as well as removal and new development scenarios. An appointed citizen Evaluation Committee recommended all four proposers be passed on to the current RFP phase.
OMF and PDC staff have revised the original September 2005 public participation plan for the project and, as part of the RFP process, will hold an open house in early 2007 for the public to provide feedback on the submitted proposals. Feedback from the public will be forwarded to the Evaluation Committee who will consider this input in its final recommendation to the OMF Chief Administrative Officer and PDC Executive Director regarding the developer selection.

Project Schedule

Announcement of Solicitation
Nov 17, 2006

Notice of Intent to Submit letter due
Nov 22, 2006, 4 PM

Written Proposals due
Mar 1 , 2007, 4 PM

Notice of Responsive Proposals
Mar 15 , 2007

Evaluation of Responsive Proposals
Mar 15 - Apr 12, 2007

Public Presentation and Comment Opportunity
Mar 26-30, 2007

Evaluation Committee Final Recommendation
Apr 12, 2007

PDC Board Action on PDC Executive Director and CAO Recommendation
Apr 25, 2007

Action on CAO Developer Selection Recommendation by City Council
May 2, 2007

http://www.pdc.us/ura/south-park-blo...nd-yamhill.asp

ATR Mar 20, 2007 8:45 PM

Open house is canceled...

Thursday's open house has been canceled...according to a Fred Leeson story in today's O, both proposals submitted called for the developers to take ownership of the block -- and the city wants to continue to own/manage the SmartPark.

I can't find the story on oregonlive.com, but here's the key points:

Only two of the four developers selected in 2006 submitted proposals by the March 1 deadline. Both those proposals called for developer ownership of the block and garage (one would have added stories above the existing garage, the other would have remodeled the garage/retail without adding stories).

The city will meet privately with developers to see if they can come up with something that lets the city still own the garage, but the official that canceled the meeting (David Logsdon, parking facilities manager) said he didn't know if the meetings would end in a proposal...

pdxman Mar 20, 2007 8:50 PM

Thanks city of portland! The city amazes me--they do such a good job at screwing things up...

brandonpdx Mar 20, 2007 9:04 PM

^This surprises me. I was under the impression that the garage was going away and they were gonna build sub grade parking with a building on top...not sure where I got that.
-only 1 proposal would have built additional stories!? GE and Carroll turned in proposals. It surprises me that 1 of them (I think it was GE) was just going to remodel the garage.
-However, the fact that the city wants to retain ownership of the garage doesn't surprise me. A lot of workers and shoppers depend on that garage for cheaper parking.

pdxskyline Mar 20, 2007 9:05 PM

I'm sort of unclear on this project, as I have seen a lot of official info about it, but can't seem to figure out exactly what they want to do. Thanks City of Portland for keeping outdated material around!

So are they really going to develop a skyscraper on this lot or just put lipstick on a pig and remodel the existing building?

Why the heck does the city HAVE to own the garage? why can't it subsidize it or something else? The city that works... pffff...

zilfondel Mar 20, 2007 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonpdx (Post 2704869)
^This surprises me. I was under the impression that the garage was going away and they were gonna build sub grade parking with a building on top...not sure where I got that.

No, I read that too - but unfortunately it was merely a rumor, and was never substantiated. I'm assuming it was generated from some very preliminary ideas/proposal, not an actual business plan...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxskyline (Post 2704870)
I'm sort of unclear on this project, as I have seen a lot of official info about it, but can't seem to figure out exactly what they want to do. Thanks City of Portland for keeping outdated material around!

So are they really going to develop a skyscraper on this lot or just put lipstick on a pig and remodel the existing building?

Lipstick on a pig, lipstick on a pig: Portland just wants to make the MAX stop pretty & kick the bums out - ie, the people who might smoke a cigarette or look 'disheveled' while waiting for a train: the primary design feature they want is the removal of any rain cover at the stations.

:hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell: :hell:

It's a bunch of BS; we need a nice shiny new building for this stop instead. What was that post the other day from Beam? Dilute, not delete? City's a bunch of maroons. :cool:

NJD Mar 20, 2007 10:10 PM

hey, what if the fact that the MOYER TOWER is going in right in front of this parcel making those Mt. Hood views and downtown presence obsolete might have something to do with 2 firms not even finishing their proposals and the others scaling back theirs? hmmmm, maybe?

the city made it pretty clear that they would retain ownership of the land in the request. the city is not to blame here.

ATR Mar 20, 2007 10:13 PM

RFP canceled, too.

Press release from the PDC:

10th AND YAMHILL SMARTPARK GARAGE PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE CANCELLED
City Cancels Recent RFP for Garage Redevelopment

(Portland, OR) The City of Portland and the Portland Development Commission have cancelled the public open house on the redevelopment of the 10th and Yamhill SmartPark garage that was scheduled for Thursday, March 22, 5:30-8:30 PM in City Hall Council Chambers.

The City has cancelled the Request for Proposals for the 10th and Yamhill SmartPark Garage Redevelopment (RFP No. BGS023). Both proposals submitted in response to this RFP included purchase of the 10th and Yamhill property. The RFP was specific in its criteria that the SmartPark garage was to remain under City management and ownership.

The City intended originally to improve the property and remodel the ground floor retail space, and continues to remain interested in this as well as exploring the potential of a new development above the garage.

The City will offer to debrief with all of the proposers who were qualified in the initial phase of this process, exploring the potential for an alternate project where the City retains ownership of the garage.

Dougall5505 Mar 20, 2007 11:42 PM

well darn

tworivers Mar 21, 2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

The City intended originally to improve the property and remodel the ground floor retail space, and continues to remain interested in this as well as exploring the potential of a new development above the garage.
Umm, so what was that I heard about first building underground parking (to replace the 10th/Yamhill) on another nearby lot + a new tower, then tearing down this garage and putting its city-owned parking underneath another new tower?

I wonder if the numbers were awful --the hotel market is healthily saturated, the condo market is softening, Moyer is putting office accross the street, apartments are going up everywhere (ZGF, possibly the Oak, etc)... I'm curious. We need an inside source at GE willing to spill the beans. You'd think they'd jump at the chance to go tall and bold right there.

65MAX Mar 21, 2007 2:16 AM

It seems like they may have been putting the cart before the horse. They need to replace the parking first, presumably at the lot north of the Galleria, underneath a tower at THAT site.

THEN, they would come back and tear down the old garage and redevelop the 10th and Yamhill site. In the interim, they could just spruce up the lightrail stops until it's time to demo the garage. Doesn't that sound more logical?

tworivers Mar 21, 2007 2:48 AM

Sure does seem more logical. Why they would settle for a rehab of a garage that sits between MAX lines and is an eyesore is beyond me. I assume it must be pure depressing economics.

Too bad TMT didn't jump on it. Too busy already?

And Weston didn't follow through? Both those blocks seem ripe, to my naked eye, for podium/point tower developments.

I think the PDC should decide on a bold vision, and then, if necessary, hold off on it until it pencils out, rather than working with the existing garage.

pdx2m2 Mar 21, 2007 3:02 AM

Earlier Weston and Gerding and others proposed ideas of taking the garage down and building a tall tower with mixed use...now that the official proposals are in...we get the pig in a new dress.

I don't think the City will let go of ownership and doubt that any really large bold project will make sense with a 99 year lease...

This could go back to PDC for a short term fix or they could decide to sit on the project until there is a stronger market and/or a bolder vision. I wouldn't count on seeing a tower here for some years.

65MAX Mar 21, 2007 5:12 AM

You're probably right. I really think the parking lot north of the Galleria will be developed first.

pdxman Mar 21, 2007 6:08 AM

What a bummer day, i was really hoping for good news on this proposal. I guess we all just mislead each other...oh well

MarkDaMan Mar 21, 2007 3:21 PM

there was, and still is, more going on than just the rehab, but this is a bummer...I see 65MAX's scenario in post 11 still as a possibility with GE. Can some bloggers here find out who owns the block next to the galleria?

anyway, here is the initial story...

Demolition Derby
Why a moneymaking garage for the city may get destroyed, and a nearby private garage may benefit.
BY NIGEL JAQUISS | njaquiss at wweek dot com

[July 19th, 2006] If Portland's hottest developer and its biggest parking company get their wish, the city-owned Smart Park at Southwest 10th Avenue and Yamhill Street will soon be a pile of rubble.

That proposal to eliminate an above-ground public garage also appears to benefit another developer, Tom Moyer, who has just broken ground on a private underground garage on a kitty-corner lot.

The prospect of replacing 797 low-priced publicly owned spaces at 10th and Yamhill with Moyer's 650 privately owned spaces concerns Rick Williams, a local parking consultant who once managed the city's garages.

Williams says low-cost parking spaces are key to keeping downtown viable. "The publicly owned supply of short-term parking distinguishes Portland from almost every other city in the country," Williams says.

Demolition of the 10th and Yamhill garage, the second busiest of seven city-owned garages, became an option only in the past month.

Nobody would dispute the building is a dump—records show crews were called to clean up human waste in the building 183 times in May. And a storefront at the corner of 10th and Yamhill has been vacant for more than three years. Yet the garage is debt-free and produces a "significant operating surplus," says city spokeswoman Mary Volm.

In response to concerns that the garage is blighting the West End, the Portland Development Commission last year developed preliminary plans for new elevators, redesigned street-level retail and upgraded MAX stops. (PDC earmarked $7.5 million in urban-renewal funds for fixing up the garage; the city set aside another $3.5 million for new elevators and pay stations.) When developer Joe Weston proposed building housing atop the seven-story structure, the city decided to seek other proposals.

The Bureau of General Services, which oversees the city garages, issued a request for qualifications on May 12, asking developers for proposals "with renovated ground floor retail and new development (preferably housing) above the existing garage." Two weeks later, the bureau amended its request to include "project experiences which include the removal of an existing building and constructing new development for parking, retail spaces and housing."

Among the four groups competing for the right to redevelop 10th and Yamhill is a powerhouse team of Gerding/Edlen Development and City Center Parking. Gerding/Edlen has developed much of South Waterfront and is erecting the Civic condos next to PGE Park. City Center owns or operates a majority of downtown parking. Until 2003, City Center also operated the city's Smart Park garages, including 10th and Yamhill.

The two firms worked together on the parking garage under the Brewery Blocks in the Pearl District, which City Center operates for Gerding/Edlen. They also are pursuing another joint venture at Southwest 12th Avenue and Washington Street on City Center property.

Moyer's new lot at Southwest 9th Avenue and Taylor Street, along with City Center's many other downtown lots, would arguably benefit from the demolition of 10th and Yamhill, which offers far cheaper short-term parking than private lots.

Mary Volm, a city spokeswoman, says the city's potential interest in demolishing its garage is unrelated to the new Moyer lot. "There were some ideas floating in the development community about what could be done," Volm says. "When you're investing millions, you want to make sure you're doing what the community wants."

City Center Parking president Greg Goodman referred questions about the 10th and Yamhill proposal to Mark Edlen. The developer says his group wants to build a 460-foot condo tower where the garage now stands and replace the existing structure with a combination of two new underground garages. Edlen says the tentative plan is that public parking space in both garages would either be publicly owned or publicly operated.

First to be developed would be a new mixed-use high-rise with underground parking on what's now a surface parking lot just north of the Galleria at Southwest 10th and Washington. When that lot was in operation, Edlen would demolish 10th and Yamhill and build a new underground garage there.

"We think 10th and Yamhill is a real linchpin to developing the West End," Edlen says.
http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3237/7780

Drmyeyes Mar 21, 2007 5:37 PM

Answer to the question, 'Is it really economically prudent for the city of Portland to make more public restrooms available?'

"....—records show crews were called to clean up human waste in the building 183 times in May. " from the Nigel Jaquiss article above.

brandonpdx Mar 21, 2007 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkDaMan (Post 2706824)
there was, and still is, more going on than just the rehab, but this is a bummer...I see 65MAX's scenario and post 11 as a still a possibility with GE. Can some bloggers here find out who owns the block next to the galleria?
http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3237/7780

The Goodmans own it.

pdxstreetcar Mar 21, 2007 8:27 PM

hopefully something will be worked out with these discussions between the developers and the city to get a project built on that site

MarkDaMan Mar 21, 2007 8:59 PM

I was doing some searching on other threads and still can't figure out why the hell there were only two crappy proposals that came in. Here is an excerpt from another article for the RFP issued by the PDC for riverplace's parcel 8:

"Some of the usual suspects for Portland development of this scale – Gerding Edlen Development, Trammell Crow Co. Real Estate and Investment, and Williams and Dame Development – were unavailable for comment Tuesday. John Carroll of Carroll Investment Co. said his company, which built The Eliot in Portland’s West End and The Gregory in the city’s Pearl District, is busy preparing its response to another PDC-issued RFP for a parking garage at Southwest 10th Avenue and Yamhill Street. That RFP is due March 1."
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ghlight=Parcel

I mean, can bidding to renovate a parking garage (as it turns out was his proposal) be so labor intensive you can't bid for a block that is already shovel ready?