SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

McBean Dec 12, 2020 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9132151)
I was in Hudson's Bay today, the 2nd last Saturday before Christmas, and it was a little busier than 'normal'. I went to the lower level and was rather 'shocked' to see how little they have in their Christmas department (ie decorations, trees, etc). They are already trying to clear the junk they have at up to 75% off. Then, walking around the main floor I noticed how empty many of the display cases are in the perfume and jewellery areas. One of the 'islands' had nothing but advertisements for Dyson hair dryers (where perfumes and cosmetics used to be). The jewellery cases have a sparse selection. It sure looks like a store that is preparing to close. Either that or they just can't afford to replenish merchandise?

Just saying, but it does not look good. Pretty sad.

Yep, I'm afraid Regina's Hudson Bay will be gone in the new year, much like Winnipeg has lost theirs forever too. Cornwall Centre is constant police activity the past week with disturbances and shoplifting offences. Retailers want out of downtown Regina.

BrutallyDishonest2 Dec 12, 2020 8:57 PM

While the pandemic has obviously been very bad, the Bay did themselves no favours for last decade. They've had an absolutely garbage store, high prices and never ending "sales". It's sad to see institutions go, but they accelerated the end.

HomeInMyShoes Dec 14, 2020 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 9132168)
While the pandemic has obviously been very bad, the Bay did themselves no favours for last decade. They've had an absolutely garbage store, high prices and never ending "sales". It's sad to see institutions go, but they accelerated the end.

I would second this. They used to be pretty good. Thinking the 1980s and into the 1990s, but they've been a dinosaur waiting to die for a while. There is definitely a space for a store like The Bay in my life, but The Bay hasn't been that store for a while.

And yes, leaving work the last few weeks has been pretty much a 30% chance of police activity in front of the Cornwall. Downtown in general without a full complement of working people is incredibly sketchy.

Festivus Dec 14, 2020 2:43 PM

I still like their men's clothing section because it has good options for professionals in their 30s (and a good variety of age-appropriate options), so if we lose that it will be a bummer (and the furniture section, too).

one_brick_at_a_time Dec 14, 2020 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9133137)
I still like their men's clothing section because it has good options for professionals in their 30s (and a good variety of age-appropriate options), so if we lose that it will be a bummer (and the furniture section, too).

Their bedding section, (though dismal in the basement and needing reno’s) is my #1 place to get sheets, towels and pillows always.

McBean Dec 19, 2020 6:00 PM

I was downtown at Cornwall Centre Regina Friday and it was dead for 1 week before Christmas. Not good for the downtown this year overall I imagine.

Draftsman Dec 19, 2020 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9138169)
I was downtown at Cornwall Centre Regina Friday and it was dead for 1 week before Christmas. Not good for the downtown this year overall I imagine.

I was at the mall for a couple of hours today, and I agree, it wasn't too busy. It was a lot busier last Saturday (quite busy, actually). Today, I could see that the people were shopping for so-called 'stocking stuffers'...relatively inexpensive items such as Bath & Body Works, and Charmed Aromas. Both of those stores had small lines waiting to get in (granted, Charmed Aromas has a limit of 5 customers at a time). I passed by Santa Claus several times, and not once did he have any kids with him.

More people than ever have already done their shopping online, especially for pricier stuff.

Now we just have to wait and see what happens with the new restrictions coming into effect on December 25th (25% capacity). It won't be a surprise to see store closures in the new year. The question is how many, and who?

McBean Dec 27, 2020 6:07 PM

Just anecdotal evidence from me, but I drove by a few big electronic stores early Boxing Day (around 7-7:30am) in Regina, and there were very few people outside waiting to get in.

StealthGirl Dec 27, 2020 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9143332)
Just anecdotal evidence from me, but I drove by a few big electronic stores early Boxing Day (around 7-7:30am) in Regina, and there were very few people outside waiting to get in.

I think Best Buy opened later than usual given the new restrictions. I think it was 8 or 9am instead of the usual 6 or 7.

babo Jan 6, 2021 2:57 PM

Hooray!

46.7% of Regina's private downtown land is used for parking: city report

djforsberg Jan 6, 2021 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babo (Post 9150881)

But how many empty lots producing no revenue? Time to get those numbers up!

/s

Festivus Jan 6, 2021 6:43 PM

Here's a map to illustrate how much land is wasted on lots:

https://i.imgur.com/87KX1sz.jpg

one_brick_at_a_time Jan 6, 2021 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 9151180)
Here's a map to illustrate how much land is wasted on lots:

https://i.imgur.com/87KX1sz.jpg

If you are reading this, Sandra Masters - this is so sad.

djforsberg Jan 6, 2021 7:23 PM

This is the map I will show people who still continue to complain about a lack of parking downtown. Some people won’t be happy until downtown looks like Grasslands.

jigglysquishy Jan 6, 2021 7:47 PM

Besides Vic Park, downtown has more land area dedicated to parking than Grasslands.

Draftsman Jan 6, 2021 7:53 PM

Downtown Regina Parking

Because this is a hot issue right now, and has been for a number of years, I think there should be a new thread for Regina Downtown Parking. I don't know how to do that, but if a Moderator sees this, or if you know how to do this, please do so. Thank you.

I think this thread should be kept for Retail news only. God knows, 2021 could be a very bleak year for retail in our city.

djforsberg Jan 6, 2021 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9151262)
Besides Vic Park, downtown has more land area dedicated to parking than Grasslands.

Exactly. But each destination doesn’t have their own lot right in front, meaning people might have to walk a few blocks.

McBean Jan 6, 2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9151280)
Because this is a hot issue right now, and has been for a number of years, I think there should be a new thread for Regina Downtown Parking. I don't know how to do that, but if a Moderator sees this, or if you know how to do this, please do so. Thank you.

I think this thread should be kept for Retail news only. God knows, 2021 could be a very bleak year for retail in our city.

Totally agree. Maybe take the parking discussion over to Cap Point thread even? https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=172482

Keep this one for Retail because 2021 is going to be one of the worst in history of Regina retailers in my opinion.

pappcam Jan 7, 2021 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McBean (Post 9151720)
Totally agree. Maybe take the parking discussion over to Cap Point thread even? https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=172482

Keep this one for Retail because 2021 is going to be one of the worst in history of Regina retailers in my opinion.

I third this idea.

StealthGirl Jan 16, 2021 1:30 AM

Tip Top Tailors in Northgate Mall is closing. Blowout sale ends January 27th.