SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas & Southcentral (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   The Off Topic Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153105)

KevinFromTexas Jun 22, 2008 6:34 AM

The Off Topic Thread

A few of the other regional sections of the forum have threads for off topic chat, so I thought what the heck, we should have one here. Sometimes there are things to talk about that don't quite fit the update threads and don't necessarily warrant their own thread. So feel free to post your off topic posts here.

So, while reading the "##Check this out too##" thread in the Skybar section of the forum, I clicked on a link that was posted about funny "wtf" moments. Check out who I spotted in number 26 of these pictures! :haha:

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/647083/#

DruidCity Jun 22, 2008 6:03 PM

Okay, here's mine:
Texas State University is in the process of developing a full-scale engineering program. Do any of you have suggestions for potential degree programs that might fill a niche that UT is too big and busy to fool with, partnerships with central Texas corporations, or anything else to make the Austin-San Antonio corridor a better place ?

stranger Jun 23, 2008 2:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 3628665)
A few of the other regional sections of the forum have threads for off topic chat, so I thought what the heck, we should have one here. Sometimes there are things to talk about that don't quite fit the update threads and don't necessarily warrant their own thread. So feel free to post your off topic posts here.

So, while reading the "##Check this out too##" thread in the Skybar section of the forum, I clicked on a link that was posted about funny "wtf" moments. Check out who I spotted in number 26 of these pictures! :haha:

That last picture of the basketball hoop is HILARIOUS :haha:

Texas Tuff Jun 23, 2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 3628665)

Funny pics. I don't know who that is in #26 you refer to (I assume someone you've seen in Austin) and he's probably a cool guy but...whoa...that's one ugly outfit he's wearing!! :haha:

KevinFromTexas Jun 24, 2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffaso (Post 3631451)
Funny pics. I don't know who that is in #26 you refer to (I assume someone you've seen in Austin) and he's probably a cool guy but...whoa...that's one ugly outfit he's wearing!! :haha:

It's Leslie Cochran. He's a cross dressing homeless man who lives in Austin. You can expect to find him around 6th Street, though I've seen him walk down my street a couple of times. He actually ran for mayor in 2000 and got 7 percent of the votes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Cochran

Texas Tuff Jun 24, 2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 3631538)
It's Leslie Cochran. He's a cross dressing homeless man who lives in Austin. You can expect to find him around 6th Street, though I've seen him walk down my street a couple of times. He actually ran for mayor in 2000 and got 7 percent of the votes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Cochran

I think I remember that guy now, I believe I've seen him in some other Austin threads before. BTW, I'll miss George Carlin too, he was one of the best. Some of his comedy routines used to give me some of the biggest belly laughs I've ever had!!

Tex1899 Jun 24, 2008 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DruidCity (Post 3629079)
Okay, here's mine:
Texas State University is in the process of developing a full-scale engineering program. Do any of you have suggestions for potential degree programs that might fill a niche that UT is too big and busy to fool with, partnerships with central Texas corporations, or anything else to make the Austin-San Antonio corridor a better place ?

A few years ago John Kelso wrote an article about San Marcos trying to stop partying by cutting the power to the host's home. In it he talked about Hell's 40 Acres and Southwest. IIRC, his exact words were, "When I walk across UT's campus I feel like an old man; when I walk across Southwest Texas State I feel like a dirty old man." :tup:

ydoc14 Jun 25, 2008 8:19 PM

Anybody remember those "San Antonio Salsa" chips that came out a few years ago for a limited time? Man those were great.

Tex1899 Jun 26, 2008 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ydoc14 (Post 3635292)
Anybody remember those "San Antonio Salsa" chips that came out a few years ago for a limited time? Man those were great.

No, but I remember being able to buy some stuff at Randall's (I think) that was really good and bottled by a company located on Westpark here in town. Instead of mild, medium, and hot, the flavors were Texan Wannabe, Texan Transplant, and Native Texan. I think the company's name was Henry's Creations, or or something like that. Unfortunately I haven't seen it in a few years, neither at Randall's nor Kroger. :shrug:

By the way, does anyone know if Henry's Hideout (The Horniest Place in Texas) is still around in Plantersville, on the road from there to Magnolia?

KevinFromTexas Jun 26, 2008 5:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ydoc14 (Post 3635292)

Nope. Never saw or heard of them. I feel left out. I love me some salsa. We have El Lago chips here. Made fresh at a factory in East Austin. Delicious. There's another local brand too that we get every once in a while, but the name escapes me. Tonight we got some Tostitos chips and salsa. I've never had that before, so I'll critique it after I give it a taste.

ydoc14 Jun 26, 2008 6:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 3636461)
Nope. Never saw or heard of them. I feel left out. I love me some salsa. We have El Lago chips here. Made fresh at a factory in East Austin. Delicious. There's another local brand too that we get every once in a while, but the name escapes me. Tonight we got some Tostitos chips and salsa. I've never had that before, so I'll critique it after I give it a taste.

The SA flavored chips were put out by Lay's in '03, and they also did some other city flavors as well as part of a program called "Taste of America."

Here's what it said on the SA chips packaging:
"Lay's® Tastes of America™ Potato Chips are the ideal way to experience the unique flavors from across America without ever leaving home. Twice a year, we will introduce two new flavors from different regions of the country. Each flavor will be around for a limited time only, so enjoy them while they last. San Antonio is known for many things — the historic battle at the Alamo, the pristine beauty of the River Ralk and the panoramic views seen from the Tower of the Americas. But another thing that has made San Antonio famous is its salsa — the kind that blends the mouthwatering taste of fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions. This unique taste experience is exactly what our San Antonio Salsa Artificially Flavored Potato Chips capture for you."
http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=1329

More info:
http://www.fritolay.com/fl/flstore/c...dID_352009.htm

Anyway, they were really good, and too bad Lay's doesn't make it anymore :(

hookem Jun 26, 2008 6:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 3636461)

Perhaps El Galindo? And if you love Salsa, you've probably been to the Austin Chronicle hot sauce festival.. held each year at Waterloo Park in August. Very, very hot but some great Salsa and hot sauces to taste and buy. We used to have the Fiery Foods festival too, but that's gone now... too bad, it was indoors and had much shorter lines (because they charged admission).

KevinFromTexas Jun 26, 2008 6:51 AM

That might be it. And oh yes, I'd like to go to the hot sauce fest this year. I've missed it the last couple of years. I went in '03, and it was so incredibly hot, dry and dusty that day.

Saddle Man Jun 26, 2008 4:05 PM

El Milagro Tortilla Inc. makes chips locally. I think that's the one yall are talking about. They're on E. 6th just a block or two off 35.

sakyle04 Jun 26, 2008 4:20 PM

Texas Texas makes great Salsa and they're based in Austin....(my favorite and available at HEB)

http://www.sandersonfoods.com/v/vspf.../products.html

And YDoc, I remember the San Antonio chips...my favorite was the Chcago Loaded Baked Potato. Those were killer.

Complex01 Jun 30, 2008 11:32 PM

So i thought i would pick my fellow forumers brains.

And here we go.

This is personal but its a part of life, or so i am told. Last friday my boss called me in to his office and basically told me that i am being laid off. I have 2 weeks to basically apply for jobs, go on interviews and really do what ever i want. (Granted that is good they are letting me do that, but it doesnt help that its a holiday week and a lot of people are off). In addition i get paid an additional 3 weeks, and they pay out all my PTO (a full month), I was saving it to go to Europe but i dont think thats going to happen anymore. Also they would let me collect umenmployment if i were to apply for it.

Anyhow one thing i have been thinking about is moving. Oringinal i grew up in San Antonio, and i did live in Seattle for a year. The question i am trying to figure out is should i stay in Houston, or just get up and try another city. Now i am pretty much undecided on what to do. I very much like Houston but would like to go to some other place. Either way its fine. If i were to move, i dont want to stay in Texas and going back to San Antonio is not an option. Of the cities i think about are Seattle, Chicago, California (San Diego or San Francisco), i do have a friend who lives in NYC, and so that may be an option as well. I do love Miami but that would just be to much, so yeah no.

I would like the city to have good public transporation for sure and a good night life. As well as a variety of arts, parks, food, and outdoor activites.

I dont have much time, i need to make a decesion a lot sooner or later. I am not really happy about being layed off, but maybe it is for the better, i mean what can you do. Anyhow i am curious to see what you all think.

Thanks...

alexjon Jun 30, 2008 11:38 PM

San Diego and Seattle are cheaper, Seattle and San Francisco are more bikey/young-go-getter, Chicago is big-city wow, NYC is ... NYC.

If you want to move, move. Just remember you'll skid on the runway a bit before you get settled (which I'm sure you know)

alexjon Jun 30, 2008 11:47 PM

Well, according to Trae this is the gay talk thread full of gay topics!

First up: RUGBY OR FAST-PITCH SOFTBALL?

What's your pick? I pick Rugby, even though there's a buy-in on all the teams up here and they meet when I'm laziest. But I'd totally do it! I'm built for it!

Jdawgboy Jul 1, 2008 12:41 AM

Hurray for the gay talk thread!!!! :banana: :rainbow: :upload_71700:

Major AWACS Jul 1, 2008 1:56 AM

Where's the pussy talk thread?

Complex01, it depends if you want to put the cart before the horse so-to-speak. Do you want to apply for jobs first then move, or target and/or move to a city first then look for a job there? What business do you work in? One of my companies is highering both in Houston and in some mid-western states.

Ciao,
AWACS