SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What cities have you lived in? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240286)

SFTransplant Sep 15, 2019 4:41 AM

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Santa Fe, NM
La Jolla, CA
Ketchum, Idaho
Boise, Idaho
Denver, Co
Vancouver, BC
San Francisco
Marin County.

Vancouver was by far and away my favorite place.

R@ptor Sep 15, 2019 4:59 AM

1982/11 - 2007/07: Heidelberg, Germany
2007/07 - 2009/08: Amsterdam, Netherlands
2009/08 - 2010/02: Taipei, Taiwan
2010/02 - 2010/09: Amsterdam, Netherlands
2010/09 - 2011/03: Shanghai, China
2011/03 - 2012/03: Amsterdam, Netherlands
2012/03 - 2013/06: Frankfurt, Germany
2013/06 - 2014/01: Sydney, Australia
2014/01 - present: Frankfurt, Germany

Chicago3rd Sep 15, 2019 10:42 PM

Cities I've lived in with more than 30,000 people.
Bellingham, WA
Great Falls, MT
Kaiserlautern, Germany
Eugene, OR
San Antonio, TX
Austin, TX
Portland, OR
San Francisco, CA
Chicago, IL
Houston, TX
Providence, RI
Cranston, RI

Military Brat here and I found the good in all the places I lived. I love their uniqueness-es. Hard moving from Bellingham as a kid to Great Falls - Forest to plains, but I found beauty in the high plains of Montana.

subterranean Sep 17, 2019 5:38 AM

Saginaw, MI
Detroit, MI
Saginaw, MI
Midland, MI
Livonia, MI (Detroit)
Lansing, MI
Midland, MI
East Lansing, MI
Naples, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Midland, MI
East Lansing, MI
Lansing, MI
Newport Beach, CA
Lansing, MI
(London for a summer)
Midland, MI
Lansing/Ann Arbor, MI (Grad school)
Lansing/Detroit, MI
Lansing, MI
Portland, OR

I have moved so many goddamn times in my life and I haven’t got to my 4th decade. This doesn’t even include moves within the same cities. I had a deadbeat dad, which had an influence. Michigan’s economy always sucked, so moving for jobs. I had trouble in school at first and bounced around. I followed a girl to Florida when her parents got transferred and she cheated on me so I moved to Jax with family. Fell in love with a woman 10 years my senior on the Internet in Southern California at one point, moved there. Didn’t work out, moved back and finished school. Graduated during the recession, moved to my parents’ basement. Went to grad school in Ann Arbor, graduated, got a job in Lansing. I’ve lived in my current house for 3 years and it’s the second longest period I’ve lived in one place as an adult, ever. Also stayed with family in other places growing up, but don’t count those as “living there”.

I would not wish Lansing, Michigan on my worst enemies. I don’t like disparaging a place and I won’t belabor it, but I am still recovering from losing almost 10 years of my life to that area. Michigan has its nice places but it truly sucked the life out of me and Portland has brought most of it back.

montréaliste Sep 17, 2019 6:11 AM

^^^^^^
You have found a pretty decent place in Portland. I hope you manage to stick it out in that spot for awhile. I don't like to tell people what to do, especially strangers, but I suggest you try to root yourself because it is clear you really need to do so if you want to thrive. Good luck, subterranean!

subterranean Sep 17, 2019 6:18 AM

Thanks. I found a lovely wife out here, had a beautiful baby boy this year, things are wild in different ways. Definitely a journey. Cheers to my fellow wanderers!

subterranean Sep 17, 2019 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTransplant (Post 8687473)
Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Santa Fe, NM
La Jolla, CA
Ketchum, Idaho
Boise, Idaho
Denver, Co
Vancouver, BC
San Francisco
Marin County.

Isn’t Hemingway buried in Ketchum?

Muckk Sep 17, 2019 7:20 AM

Pittsburgh, PA (more specifically the suburbs of McCandless, Avalon, and West View)
Philadelphia, PA (East Falls neighborhood)
Sydney, Aus (Rose Bay and Bellevue Hill)

If I had my druthers I'd pack up and move to Oregon. I love that place.

CaliNative Sep 17, 2019 9:55 AM

Quote:

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Santa Fe, NM
La Jolla, CA
Ketchum, Idaho
Boise, Idaho
Denver, Co
Vancouver, BC
San Francisco
Marin County.

I think Victoria has the better climate--only half the rain of Vancouver (about 25 inches instead of 50) and sunnier, but still enough rain for open forests of oak and conifers. Of course a much smaller city, but still a nice place to live, especially if you are retired.

I've gotten around--born in Pasadena CA, also lived in North Hollywood, Van Nuys, San Diego, San Francisco area, Seattle, Denver. I find things to like about all. The Huntington Library/Art Gallery/Botanical Garden complex in San Marino near Pasadena is the most amazing place. Well worth a day to see.

Maldive Sep 17, 2019 5:52 PM

If i added up 6 trips to San Diego (for escape and ill-conceived love), I'd probably be allowed to comment (perhaps 1.3 years total including one giant "go home" from U.S. authorities).

SD has so much to offer to out-dorseys (other then 9 months of surfing wetsuits-very cold water, and June gloom and marine layers).

The bad news is the best Mex food is in plazas and downtown should be exploding with residential (lots happening though).

I see a Vancouver-ish potiential, boring condos of course. mixed with an almost perfect climate. No hurricanes. Occasional wildfires spoil the party.

But lotsa people living downtown.

Boisebro Sep 17, 2019 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8689461)
Isn’t Hemingway buried in Ketchum?

he is.

Boisebro Sep 17, 2019 6:14 PM

just to be different, here are the populations of the towns and cities I've lived in, in order of when I lived in them:

:cheers:

iheartthed Sep 17, 2019 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8689441)
I would not wish Lansing, Michigan on my worst enemies. I don’t like disparaging a place and I won’t belabor it, but I am still recovering from losing almost 10 years of my life to that area. Michigan has its nice places but it truly sucked the life out of me and Portland has brought most of it back.

When I was looking at colleges I refused to even consider Michigan State because I found Lansing/East Lansing so boring. If I hadn't been accepted to U of M, I would have left Michigan for undergrad.

jtown,man Sep 17, 2019 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boisebro (Post 8689937)
just to be different, here are the populations of the towns and cities I've lived in, in order of when I lived in them:

:cheers:

Interesting, I'll do mine like that(City/Metro):

903,889:::::1,504,980
234,859:::::38,140,000
129,568:::::38,140,000
67,263:::::124,042
1,532,233:::::2,518,036
7,069:::::no metro
950,715 :::::2,168,316
244,076:::::1,672,319

JRinSoCal Oct 9, 2019 2:45 AM

Lima, Peru 1976-1978
Huanuco, Peru 1978-1984
Los Angeles, CA 1984-1990
Anaheim, CA 1990-2015
Dallas, TX 2015-2017
Upland, CA 2017-Present

pdxtex Oct 9, 2019 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8689441)
Saginaw, MI
Detroit, MI
Saginaw, MI
Midland, MI
Livonia, MI (Detroit)
Lansing, MI
Midland, MI
East Lansing, MI
Naples, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Midland, MI
East Lansing, MI
Lansing, MI
Newport Beach, CA
Lansing, MI
(London for a summer)
Midland, MI
Lansing/Ann Arbor, MI (Grad school)
Lansing/Detroit, MI
Lansing, MI
Portland, OR

I have moved so many goddamn times in my life and I haven’t got to my 4th decade. This doesn’t even include moves within the same cities. I had a deadbeat dad, which had an influence. Michigan’s economy always sucked, so moving for jobs. I had trouble in school at first and bounced around. I followed a girl to Florida when her parents got transferred and she cheated on me so I moved to Jax with family. Fell in love with a woman 10 years my senior on the Internet in Southern California at one point, moved there. Didn’t work out, moved back and finished school. Graduated during the recession, moved to my parents’ basement. Went to grad school in Ann Arbor, graduated, got a job in Lansing. I’ve lived in my current house for 3 years and it’s the second longest period I’ve lived in one place as an adult, ever. Also stayed with family in other places growing up, but don’t count those as “living there”.

lansing's ok. its just kind of one step above a straight up blue collar town. the university and government stuff kind of diversify things. the lansing/east lansing divide is definitely apparent though. its not quite the seamless experience of madison or other capital/major college type metros.....i graduated at the end of the 90s from state so im not sure the economy was jamming then either. i moved to portland in 97, didnt think id stay this entire time...glad you are liking it...

AviationGuy Oct 9, 2019 4:37 AM

Houston
Arlington, Tx
Santa Barbara
Austin
Cypress, TX starting 2020

SLO Oct 9, 2019 5:45 AM

Quote:

Rancho Santa Fe, CA
Santa Fe, NM
La Jolla, CA
Ketchum, Idaho
Boise, Idaho
Denver, Co
Vancouver, BC
San Francisco
Marin County.

I smell money!? ;)

SLO Oct 9, 2019 5:49 AM

Auckland, New Zealand
Redondo Beach, Ca
Lodi, Ca
San Luis Obispo, Ca
Fort Worth, Texas
Arroyo Grande, Ca
San Diego (north county)

All great.

dktshb Oct 9, 2019 2:16 PM

Madison, WI