SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

John Maddox Roberts Dec 1, 2020 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9121378)

Babe Ruth arrives on the Los Angeles Limited and is welcomed by the Wampus Baby Stars of 1927.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/vpBBUv.jpg
eBay (from quite some time ago / perhaps a year)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/7Brc0I.jpg

Go Here to see the baby stars touching Ruth's Big Bat.

My God, Sally Rand! I actually met Sally Rand in Kansas City in 1976. Living history and she still had a knockout pair of legs.

Martin Pal Dec 1, 2020 6:30 PM

:previous:

I see you noticed Sally Rand, too, JMR. I'll delete the photo from my post since it's right there above!
___

I don't think I knew Sally Rand was a WBS. She certainly has eyes for the Babe. I always heard Babe nicknamed The Sultan of Swat, instead of The King of Swat. Of course, he was so popular he had many nicknames: Babe, The Colossus of Clout, The Sultan of Swat, The Big Bam, The Behemoth of Bust, Jedge, The Caliph of Clout, The Wazir of Wham, The Maharajah of Mash, The Rajah of Rap, The Blunderbuss, The Mammoth of Maul, The Mauling Mastodon, The Mauling Monarch, The Wali of Wallop, The Prince of Powders, The King of Crash, The King of Clout, The Colossus of Crash, The King of Swing, The Terrible Titan, The Kid (or King) of Crash and, of course, The Great Bambino. (From: Babe Ruth Nicknames and The Story Behind Them)

https://lostmediawiki.com/images/b/b...Lobby_Card.jpgLMW

This is considered a lost film. It was released the day after Charles Lindbergh made his historic flight and landed in Paris, May 21, 1927.

Ballpark scenes in the movie were filmed at Los Angeles' Wrigley Field.

Speaking of Wrigley Field, recently I saw AMPAS's Hollywood Home Movies (online version for this year; premiered 11/20). They have done other Hollywood Home Movies programs in person at their theatre before. This new one has color scenes of Satchel Paige pitching in an exhibition game at Wrigley Field in November of 1948. (He had been part of the 1948 Cleveland Indians World Series winning team and is wearing his Indians uniform in this game.) It's noted this may be the only known footage of him pitching in a game. There are nice shots of the field and people in the stadium, including Louis B. Mayer and other M-G-M people. The footage was shot by Richard Brooks and they may have been there because they were doing a baseball themed film at the time.

This WRIGLEY FIELD sequence is at approximately 32:47. If one is interested there is MUCH to enjoy in the entire presentation. (Among other things, there's footage of stars at play in Catalina, behind the scenes footage of a film, set in winter, being shot at the Greystone Mansion and a backyard party at Dolores Del Rio's place.)

Video Link

JimCraig Dec 2, 2020 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts (Post 9121729)
My God, Sally Rand! I actually met Sally Rand in Kansas City in 1976. Living history and she still had a knockout pair of legs.

I saw one of her last shows in 1978 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. She was phenomenal!

CityBoyDoug Dec 2, 2020 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre (Post 9121136)
I adore the full dinner prices back then, 2-3 dollars per person? Put it in year of 2020 for at least 20-30 dollars per person.

Workers were glad to get 50 Cents an hour back in the day. Because of the Depression, it was not until WW II that wages took off. But it was in 1960 that min. wage was still only a meager $1 an hour.

Today, a living wage should be around min. $25 per hr. in big cities.

I pay $15 per hour for a kid to sweep the floor and take out the trash in 2020.
Plus a free meal and transportation, that I provide.

Hey, times change eh?

CaliNative Dec 2, 2020 6:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimCraig (Post 9122365)
I saw one of her last shows in 1978 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. She was phenomenal!

I do believe they had Sally Rand do her fan dance in the 1983 film "The Right Stuff" about the Mercury Program based on the book by Tom Wolfe. When the NASA Space Center moved to Houston in the early 1960s, Sally Rand was actually one of the entertainers at the big reception for the astronauts. She reprised her act in the film about the event. She must have been close to 80, but she looked OK. Of course she was filmed from a distance and her apparently nude body was behind the fans, but she still had the moves. One of my uncles saw her act at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair that made her famous or infamous.

CaliNative Dec 2, 2020 7:05 AM

Delete

GaylordWilshire Dec 2, 2020 1:09 PM

:previous:

Not to be forgotten is native Angeleno Faith Bacon, granddaughter of retired industrialist Frank Page Bacon of 2615 Ellendale Place.

https://i.postimg.cc/PrrhGXV0/faithbacon-bmp.jpg

She starred as a fan dancer featured at Chicago's Century of Progress International Exposition of 1933-34; Faith had a running battle with the better-known Sally Rand as to who was the originator of the art, and even sued Sally for ripping off her shtick.

Her Wikipedia entry: "In 1945, she and Sanford Hunt Dickinson—a Buffalo businessman and songwriter—applied for a marriage license. As Bacon was rumored to be gay, she may have sought a marriage of convenience. It is unknown whether they ever actually married; they never lived together, but also never divorced. According to Tullah Innes, a burlesque dancer who crossed paths with Faith frequently, Faith was a lesbian out of necessity as her mother kept her from men. Later in her life, as her work dried up, there were reports of heavy alcohol and drug use."

She jumped out of a Chicago hotel window in 1956.

Blaster Dec 2, 2020 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9122534)
I do believe they had Sally Rand do her fan dance in the 1983 film "The Right Stuff" about the Mercury Program based on the book by Tom Wolfe. When the NASA Space Center moved to Houston in the early 1960s, Sally Rand was actually one of the entertainers at the big reception for the astronauts. She reprised her act in the film about the event. She must have been close to 80, but she looked OK. Of course she was filmed from a distance and her apparently nude body was behind the fans, but she still had the moves. One of my uncles saw her act at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair that made her famous or infamous.

Sally Rand died in 1979 at the age of 75, several years before THE RIGHT STUFF went into production. In the film she is played by Peggy Davis.

CaliNative Dec 3, 2020 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaster (Post 9123054)
Sally Rand died in 1979 at the age of 75, several years before THE RIGHT STUFF went into production. In the film she is played by Peggy Davis.

Dang. I thought that was Ms. Rand in the film. Sally Rand was there in 1962 or 63 when they welcomed the astronauts to Houston and she did her fan dance in the Houston Coliseum arena downtown. Tom Wolfe wrote about it. Having a fan dancer welcome the astronauts sounds bizarre, but it all worked out and everybody ate massive piles of BBQ beef on paper plates and drank tons of bourbon and had a Texas good time. Did Sally Rand have any success as an actress in Hollywood? I guess not, since she moved on to fan dancing.

I wonder if Sally had a fling with Babe Ruth? That pic above looks like she might have. Maybe some of the others too. Babe loved food, drink and the ladies. He loved life and never pretended to be a saint. His candle burned brightly but went out early. When the Babe was in L.A.he often golfed at the Griffith Park courses. Ruth was a very good golfer. Like his home runs, his drives off the tee went farther than others could hit them, and we're usually accurate. He also loved bowling, hunting and fishing. Babe couldn't remember the names of everyone he knew, so he called many people "kid" (pronounced "keed"), even some of his teammates. A fun loving human dynamo. Most everybody liked the Babe, except opposing pitchers. Babe was also kind to children, since he was basically a big "keed" himself. And probably the greatest all around baseball player ever. Started as a good pitcher who might have had a hall of fame pitching career, but he hit so we'll they put him in the outfield so he could hit every day and he broke all the slugging records. When he hit an amazing 29 home runs with the Red Sox in 1919, nobody could believe it (previous record was half that). The next year with the Yankees he hit 54, more than the rest of the team combined. Amazing.

ethereal_reality Dec 3, 2020 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9121775)

I don't think I knew Sally Rand was a WBS.

Martin, Sally Rand was, indeed, a 1927 Wampus Baby Star but she wasn't in Babe Comes Home. (1927)

[Below]...The actress with the Babe in the lobby card is Swedish-American actress, Anna Q. Nilsson who wasn't a 1927 Wampus Baby Star. ....Got all that? :eeekk: It's a bit confusing.

Quote:

Martin, you are correct about 'Babe Comes Home' being lost film.

To date, only two of the one sheet posters for the film have surfaced. One sold at a whopping $138,000! :eek:

One of the 'Holy Grails' of movie poster collectors.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/uMBHtE.jpg
heritageauctions

*rummages through attic*

ethereal_reality Dec 3, 2020 5:26 PM

Oh, and one more thing.

Here's Sally Rand on 'What's My Line' in 1952 lookin' good. . .and quite charming.

Her segment begins at 17:00.

Video Link

She was 48 at the time.

ethereal_reality Dec 3, 2020 8:54 PM

Los Angeles Chemical Company truck #4 and driver.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/8evbkx.jpg
eBay

Los Angeles Chemical Co.

1960 Santa Fe Avenue

VAndike..........MFG. Plant

0741..............South Gate

BillinGlendaleCA Dec 3, 2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9124240)

Los Angeles Chemical Company truck #4 and driver.

Los Angeles Chemical Co.

1960 Santa Fe Avenue

VAndike..........MFG. Plant

0741..............South Gate

1960 Santa Fe Ave. 1960? Good number for an address.

Bristolian Dec 4, 2020 3:56 AM

Quote:

I don't think I knew Sally Rand was a WBS. She certainly has eyes for the Babe. I always heard Babe nicknamed The Sultan of Swat, instead of The King of Swat. Of course, he was so popular he had many nicknames: Babe, The Colossus of Clout, The Sultan of Swat, The Big Bam, The Behemoth of Bust, Jedge, The Caliph of Clout, The Wazir of Wham, The Maharajah of Mash, The Rajah of Rap, The Blunderbuss, The Mammoth of Maul, The Mauling Mastodon, The Mauling Monarch, The Wali of Wallop, The Prince of Powders, The King of Crash, The King of Clout, The Colossus of Crash, The King of Swing, The Terrible Titan, The Kid (or King) of Crash and, of course, The Great Bambino. (From: Babe Ruth Nicknames and The Story Behind Them)

I'm intrigued by the belief some hold that Babe Ruth had some African American ancestry and had to keep it secret because of the strict segregation in Major League Baseball.

https://www.newsday.com/was-babe-rut...tters-1.265791

CaliNative Dec 4, 2020 7:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9123705)
Dang. I thought that was Ms. Rand in the film. Sally Rand was there in 1962 or 63 when they welcomed the astronauts to Houston and she did her fan dance in the Houston Coliseum arena downtown. Tom Wolfe wrote about it. Having a fan dancer welcome the astronauts sounds bizarre, but it all worked out and everybody ate massive piles of BBQ beef on paper plates and drank tons of bourbon and had a Texas good time. Did Sally Rand have any success as an actress in Hollywood? I guess not, since she moved on to fan dancing.

I wonder if Sally had a fling with Babe Ruth? That pic above looks like she might have. Maybe some of the others too. Babe loved food, drink and the ladies. He loved life and never pretended to be a saint. His candle burned brightly but went out early. When the Babe was in L.A.he often golfed at the Griffith Park courses. Ruth was a very good golfer. Like his home runs, his drives off the tee went farther than others could hit them, and we're usually accurate. He also loved bowling, hunting and fishing. Babe couldn't remember the names of everyone he knew, so he called many people "kid" (pronounced "keed"), even some of his teammates. A fun loving human dynamo. Most everybody liked the Babe, except opposing pitchers. Babe was also kind to children, since he was basically a big "keed" himself. And probably the greatest all around baseball player ever. Started as a good pitcher who might have had a hall of fame pitching career, but he hit so we'll they put him in the outfield so he could hit every day and he broke all the slugging records. When he hit an amazing 29 home runs with the Red Sox in 1919, nobody could believe it (previous record was half that). The next year with the Yankees he hit 54, more than the rest of the team combined. Amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 9124577)
I'm intrigued by the belief some hold that Babe Ruth had some African American ancestry and had to keep it secret because of the strict segregation in Major League Baseball.

https://www.newsday.com/was-babe-rut...tters-1.265791

^^^
The era when Ruth played was still very racist. Odious Klan marches were held in Washington in 1925 and 1926, and lynchings were a common event in the south. Players with black ancestry couldn't play in the major leagues until Jackie Robinson broke the barrier in 1947. So when opposing players (apparently including Georgian Ty Cobb) suggested that Ruth might have some black ancestry, that at the time was considered a big insult. The opposing players based their insults on Ruth's slightly dark complexion (he tanned deeply in summer) and some of his facial features. But most authorities I'm aware of say that Ruth was entirely or primarily of German ancestry (although Ruth himself also thought he might have partial Irish ancestry as well). One good source is the fairly recent biography "The Big Bam", which I highly recommend. The book has a very good source index.

In later years, Cobb and Ruth were somewhat friendly to each other, and a couple of times golfed. Cobb, who was very good with money and investments, and became very wealthy, sometimes suggested investments to Ruth, including buying Coca Cola stock (a very good suggestion). Both Cobb and Ruth were in the first Hall of Fame induction class in the late 1930s, and were very friendly and courteous to each other at the induction ceremony. Interestingly, Cobb was #1 in votes to induct, getting slightly more than Ruth. Honus Wagner, Grover Cleveland Alexander, and Walter Johnson were some of the other inductees in the first class.

Ruth was a Democrat, and a big backer of Al Smith in the 1928 presidential election. It didn't hurt that both men were "wets", against prohibition and frequent imbibers. When someone asked why he made more money than President Hoover early in the depression, Ruth joked that he had a better year than Hoover. Ruth was a good Catholic, and a member of the Knights of Columbus. His second wife apparently tamed him somewhat, and his womanizing apparently was reduced, or at least became more discrete.

The later feud between Ruth and Gehrig apparently might have started when Gehrig suspected that his wife Eleanor might have had an affair with Ruth. On the way by ocean liner to Japan in 1934 for a series of baseball exhibition games, Gehrig came across a tipsy Eleanor in Ruth's berth having a drink. Ruth and Gehrig reconciled at Lou's farewell in Yankee Stadium after Gehrig got the fatal disease that still carries his name.

Ruth never got a chance to manage a team, even in the minor leagues, since most owners thought he didn't have the character or perhaps intelligence to do so. In actuality, Ruth was an intelligent and charismatic man (although his memory for names wasn't great), and probably would have been a good manager. It is unfortunate he never got the chance. Traded by the Yankees, Ruth briefly was a player and Vice President for the Boston Braves. He hit his last 3 home runs with the Braves in 1935 at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, the last one traveling well over 500 feet. The Big Bam went out with a Big Bang. Later, Ruth briefly served as a first base coach for the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Babe died in 1948 from throat cancer. He was only 53. Huge crowds paid their respects at his funeral.

The best film to see Ruth in action is the Gehrig biopic "Pride of the Yankees". Who else could have played Ruth except Ruth? The "Babe Ruth Story" with William "Life of Riley" Bendix as the Big Bam is quite horrid--don't waste your time watching it in its rare appearances on TV. The 1990s TV biopic with John Goodman as Ruth isn't quite as terrible, but is hard to find, and Goodman looks and behaves nothing like Ruth.

Mackerm Dec 4, 2020 7:28 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/D0rfMdwq/citizensbank-tower.jpg
Okie Mod Squad

I never tire of pictures showing the Cinerama Dome with the Sunset Vine Tower. Something like L.A.'s homage to the Trylon and Perisphere. One odd thing: the movie Oklahoma! was released in 1955, whereas the Cinerama Dome opened in 1963, so I guess this postcard was made to publicise a re-release of that 30 FPS Todd-AO extravaganza. Or maybe there's another simple explanation.

(On a completely unrelated note, Oklahoma City's Gold Dome was built in 1958 to house Citizen's State Bank. The tower at 2200 Classen was originally built in 1966 as a headquarters for Citizens Narional Bank, and was designed as a tribute to Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright's only completed skyscraper is also in Oklahoma. The tower has been converted to apartments - shades of the Sunset Vine tower.)

unihikid Dec 4, 2020 5:39 PM

The Sheen's at play, around LA

Here are more family pictures. The first few are my dad and aunts in front of Kenwood. The rest are just random parks.

https://i.postimg.cc/hPq66trq/050.jpg
Dad 1946

https://i.postimg.cc/4NV74BV9/056.jpg
Aunt Delores, Aunt Mildred on the trike, and Lassie 1946

https://i.postimg.cc/q7kC5ytC/047.jpg
Dad, Papa, Aunt Mildred, and Aunt Carol not facing the camera

This one is a hard one to place. Dad said there used to be stables near Inglewood, but remembered sometime in the mid 50's they made trips to Ontario to go riding. Papa owned two horses, which my Aunt Carol took to. She later moved to AZ to live the life of a cowgirl and was able to own a few horses herself.

https://i.postimg.cc/WbgB9kcV/059.jpg
Papa, Aunt Mildred, and i'm not too sure which cousin Papa is holding but Aunt Mildred is holding Trena
Some park in LA 1958

I posted this a few months ago when we we're discussing Marineland. I got to go to Marineland in 1986-87 (I think it was Marineworld by then), and i remember getting my caricature drawn by a clown. When i go back home for the holidays ill post it, till then here are the Sheen's at Marineworld (again) 1957..in Living Color!

https://i.postimg.cc/brNZ6hsc/060.jpg

And last is one of my favorites. On the back it simply says Griffith.

https://i.postimg.cc/J03zW7dd/083.jpg
Granny with Aunt Mildred, and Dad 1946

edit: The reason for my visits to ML/MW was mainly because Dad did a commercial for them. If you want check it out https://youtu.be/s7_FaN6bves

unihikid Dec 4, 2020 6:22 PM

More Candy

And since it's the Holiday Season, here are more Candy related Pictures. When they passed, granny just boxed up the pictures and put them n the Duplex's basement. I've tried to get a hold of FIDM to see if they wanted any items (we have the keys to Mr. Candy's office at Bullocks Wilshire and Westwood, along with his awards, and a few P.G. Winnett items), but it's a lost cause.

I posted this way back when i had Photobucket, the back had my Grandmother's writing, but its BW.

https://i.postimg.cc/zGfbrWSm/095.jpg
Christmastime 1957

https://i.postimg.cc/NLq4nDrw/038.jpg

P.G. Winnett, and Kate Winnett Candy on the right, the rest unknown.

This last one is the Candy's driver out in Sunland. Evidently they owned a bunch of property out in that area, and they would go shooting out there. All of the photos from this day are desert scenes, Mrs. Candy Shooting, the driver sitting, and my grandmothers lunch.. I'm only posting the driver because the rest aren't too interesting. Plus he looks cool.

https://i.postimg.cc/tR2nm2Wd/072.jpg
All photos scanned by me

jg6544 Dec 4, 2020 9:21 PM

The Christmas tree looks like it's in the old Bullocks-Wilshire store on Wilshire Blvd.

ethereal_reality Dec 5, 2020 7:51 PM

Here's an interesting rppc currently on eBay

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/684RzL.jpg
eBay

Let's take a closer look.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/AAq4Ew.jpg

On the left you can see the L.(?) Watson & Son Meat Market.

And the back tells us this is Glendale CA.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/UcEdJj.jpg

What we don't know is the name of the street.