SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

Stormer May 30, 2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7819165)
Not sure if it was mentioned here, but I was talking to one of the staff at Home Outfitters on Saturday. They have started clearing out and officially will start to wind down in mid-June. Apparently they just can't keep up with the competition and the online world so they are calling it quits.

They don't even have online buying. It has never been a great store. HBC has other things to focus on.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 5, 2017 7:09 PM

Looks like Bison Liquor is taking a 14,966 sf section of the redeveloped Golden Mile former Extra Foods. Quite a large chunk.

http://www.onereit.ca/property/21/go...hopping-centre

A 10,000 sf Sobey's Liquor is also now shown on Southland Mall's Map.

http://www.onereit.ca/property/44/southland-mall

Dan0myte Jun 5, 2017 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7825428)
]A 10,000 sf Sobey's Liquor is also now shown on Southland Mall's Map.

http://www.onereit.ca/property/44/southland-mall

Oh, on the old Turbo gas station! :tup: Convenient location.

pappcam Jun 5, 2017 7:58 PM

The Timmy's in the Cornwall Centre is closing at its current location on Thursday, June 8th and re-opening in its new location by the 11th Avenue entrance on Monday, June 12th. I imagine the destruction/re-construction of the complate H&M area to go full bore ahead at that point.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 6, 2017 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 7825428)
Looks like Bison Liquor is taking a 14,966 sf section of the redeveloped Golden Mile former Extra Foods. Quite a large chunk.

http://www.onereit.ca/property/21/go...hopping-centre

This one could be entertaining as it wasn't part of the bid winners.

StealthGirl Jun 6, 2017 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7825976)

Could that be a distillery like Rebellion and not retail?

Drofmab Jun 6, 2017 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7825976)

I don't think there's anything preventing an existing offsale from opening a new & expanded location... but 14,000sqft? That's significantly larger than Sobeys at Southland (10,000sqft).

(ISC doesn't have a record of 'Bison Liquor' at the moment)

...maybe Willow Park's finally decided to throw in the towel (IMHO, they've been on life support since arriving in Regina...Sobeys at Southland will finish them), & Bison Liquor is what will rise from the fire sale.

Stormer Jun 6, 2017 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7826648)
I don't think there's anything preventing an existing offsale from opening a new & expanded location... but 14,000sqft? That's significantly larger than Sobeys at Southland (10,000sqft).

(ISC doesn't have a record of 'Bison Liquor' at the moment)

...maybe Willow Park's finally decided to throw in the towel (IMHO, they've been on life support since arriving in Regina...Sobeys at Southland will finish them), & Bison Liquor is what will rise from the fire sale.

I do not see Bison Liquor on the Golden mile link?

Drofmab Jun 6, 2017 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7826766)
I do not see Bison Liquor on the Golden mile link?

It's in the PDF Floorplan. Unlike Fatburger, there's no logo pointing to the large area (1100) of the old Extra Foods where Bison Liquor will go, but it's in the tenant listing.

At 14,966sqft, it'll be the 4th largest tenant in the mall (behind RCSS, GoodLife & Rainbow)

Stormer Jun 6, 2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7826838)
It's in the PDF Floorplan. Unlike Fatburger, there's no logo pointing to the large area (1100) of the old Extra Foods where Bison Liquor will go, but it's in the tenant listing.

At 14,966sqft, it'll be the 4th largest tenant in the mall (behind RCSS, GoodLife & Rainbow)

I am going to suggest this was conditional on Bison getting a SLGA permit. They did not, the lease is dead and OneReit just has not updated the map.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 7, 2017 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7826976)
I am going to suggest this was conditional on Bison getting a SLGA permit. They did not, the lease is dead and OneReit just has not updated the map.

No, no. Bison are anticipating moving an off sale from a restaurant to transfer the licence. However, it is my understanding the will be required to continue running a restaurant for at least some time. Hence it will be interesting to see if a) they open a shitty pub or b) SLGA rolls over and lets anyone do anything.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 7, 2017 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7826976)

The new update WAS for Bison in the floorplan. I have been checking OneReit for
Golden Mile and for Southland Mall properties every few days for the last couple months. This is new.

Stormer Jun 7, 2017 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7827141)
No, no. Bison are anticipating moving an off sale from a restaurant to transfer the licence. However, it is my understanding the will be required to continue running a restaurant for at least some time. Hence it will be interesting to see if a) they open a shitty pub or b) SLGA rolls over and lets anyone do anything.

With the kind of space they are taking I can see them having tasting room/restaurant and micro-distillery.

Drofmab Jun 7, 2017 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7827141)

Are you just speculating, or do you know that an existing restaurant offsale is hoping to move? If the latter, are you able to say which one?

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 8, 2017 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7828136)
Are you just speculating, or do you know that an existing restaurant offsale is hoping to move? If the latter, are you able to say which one?

I don't have confirmation of anything. The rumor is something from South Albert like Brewsters or Bonzzini's.

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 8, 2017 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7827639)
With the kind of space they are taking I can see them having tasting room/restaurant and micro-distillery.

I can't see the mall allowing a distillery as the zoning fire code is really strict. My understanding is that there's been a lot of hand-wringing over Slow Pub's distillery.

PhotoJim Jun 8, 2017 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7828400)
I can't see the mall allowing a distillery as the zoning fire code is really strict. My understanding is that there's been a lot of hand-wringing over Slow Pub's distillery.

These aren't distilleries, which are much more involved. These are just brewery facilities.

I don't think there are any distilleries in Regina right now. There is one in Lumsden.

Drofmab Jun 8, 2017 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 7828612)
These aren't distilleries, which are much more involved. These are just brewery facilities.

I don't think there are any distilleries in Regina right now. There is one in Lumsden.

There are 2 distilleries in Regina: Sperling Silver Distillery (Slow Food) & Outlaw Trail Spirits (Scarth St in Warehouse District).

Quality of their spirits? Leaves much to be desired. Last Mountain, Black Fox & Lucky Bastard are much, much better.

To BD's point, I'm very skeptical that a distillery would be permitted in the mall. You'd think that OJ's would have got a restrictive in their lease against an entity like Brewsters or Bonzzini's opening on the property - likely going after similar demographic. But to open a liquor store, without getting a private store permit (Sobeys x 2; Metro; Willow Park), moving an existing OffSale seems the only option... and that should require the hotel/pub/restaurant with the licence to move with the store.

This said, I'm not sure on what basis Silver's Local Market (which sells liquor, wine, beer & has a growler station) was able to open in downtown Saskatoon (there's no obvious restaurant, hotel or pub attached to it, and it didn't get a licence in the recent RFP... maybe Sperling Silver is producing a token amount of product there to qualify for an offsale licence?)

Stormer Jun 13, 2017 5:43 PM

It sounds like Sears Canada is on its last legs. I expect the Cornwall Centre will get its wish and will be able to redevelop the NE corner. It would be great if they opened up Hamilton and Sask Dr. to street traffic and re-did the north entrance east of SaskTel.

5 or 10 years ago Sears was Regina's largest private employer. The Catalogue Centre, Call Centre, Warehouse and Clearance Centre are all gone. All that is left are the Cornwall Store and the Home Store on Quance. I heard that the same group that bought the Ring Road warehouse also bought the Home Store although Sears is still operating it. No doubt its days are numbered.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...crunch-worsens

Crisis Jun 13, 2017 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7833389)
I
5 or 10 years ago Sears was Regina's largest private employer. The Catalogue Centre, Call Centre, Warehouse and Clearance Centre are all gone. All that is left are the Cornwall Store and the Home Store on Quance. I heard that the same group that bought the Ring Road warehouse also bought the Home Store although Sears is still operating it. No doubt its days are numbered.

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...crunch-worsens

Probably correct, as they've shut down their Home Store on Circle Drive in Saskatoon