SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Sep 24, 2018 5:43 AM

Is anyone in the mood for a 'mystery' location? :cheerleader:
NO? :hell:

Here it is anyway.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/8WetCl.jpg
Tarell Clay Benton at webstagram

I've been looking at this, off and on, for the last couple of days and I can not figure out where it was taken.

Tarell titled it Hollywood in the Fog

__

CityBoyDoug Sep 24, 2018 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8324365)
Wild sunflowers, thanks, CBD. They add a real artistic touch in the photos they appear in! :tup:

Thanks Odin for your kind reply.

Helianthus californicus is a North American species of sunflower known by the common name California sunflower. It is native to California in the United States and Baja California in Mexico, where it grows in many types of habitats.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00161/00161266.jpg
LAPL

BillinGlendaleCA Sep 24, 2018 9:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8324386)
Is anyone in the mood for a 'mystery' location? :cheerleader:
NO? :hell:

Here it is anyway.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/8WetCl.jpg
Tarell Clay Benton at webstagram

I've been looking at this, off and on, for the last couple of days and I can not figure out where it was taken.

Tarell titled it Hollywood in the Fog

__

It's appropriately titled, it's in Hollywood just above Franklin by the 101. Here's the Google Street View(NOW WITH LESS FOG!):
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1914/...d3151987_b.jpger_mystery_20180924_01 by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

GaylordWilshire Sep 24, 2018 12:10 PM

Now I know this Perry Mason house is in LA, not in Phoenix...and we've seen it on NLA before. It's 500 S Rossmore, at the sec of Fifth Street, and was architect Pierpont Davis's own home, completed in 1921.


https://i.postimg.cc/TwHcRcM5/pierpo..._Ross1.bmp.jpg




In the screenshot below, the camera is aimed just south (the house seen is 520 S Rossmore) to capture the daughter of 500 and her mother careening
up the street in the Buick and around the Pontiac to get in their driveway...except that they visibly sideswipe the Pontiac, rocking it on its springs. But
the ladies (or sloppy stuntmen) continue right on into the driveway. (The shots are from The Case of he Lazy Lover.)

https://i.postimg.cc/zDFxbTCM/pierpont2.bmp.jpg



Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 5569286)

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics41/00040146.jpgLAPL
The architect's own house, 500 S. Rossmore

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y...2520PM.bmp.jpgGoogle Street View
Still there, behind even higher hedges...


https://i.postimg.cc/KYmHsQDn/pierpontgsv.bmp.jpg

SHERIFFPAUL Sep 24, 2018 4:01 PM

NLA anniversary June 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8324382)
Thanks Barstowboy.

Just so you know..NLA's 10th anniversary is this coming summer, June 2019. CBD's post confused me as well.
The flashing image definitely makes it look like it was that day. (I've been receiving emails congratulating us)

It would no doubt help if CityBoydoug removed the 'flashing ribbon thingy' and just write "NLA's 10th Anniversary is....".
He already has JUNE 2019 written...so that's a start.

(I tried to send a private message but there's a hic-cup in my stored email file)

I've been on here since the beginning (there was only like four or five pages on NLA at that time) and I officially joined in 2011. I was thinking it was only nine years old, but oh well. I love history.

ethereal_reality Sep 24, 2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8324412)
It's appropriately titled, it's in Hollywood just above Franklin by the 101.

Thanks for figuring out the location BillinGlendaleCA.




I happened upon this [somewhat of a] 'mystery' photograph earlier today on EBAY

"PACIFIC PALISADES CALIFORNIA~AUTOMOBILE ON SUNSET BOULEVARD PHOTO 1939"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/Qp3xxH.jpg
EBAY

There aren't too many clues in this one....just a couple houses in the distance. (the home visible behind the car appears to be fairly LARGE)

Just think how large that tree is today. (if it's still there)

odinthor Sep 24, 2018 11:22 PM

Addressing those who were in greater L.A. in the mid to late 60s: Do the letters RDB mean anything to you?

It became something of a joke in my family, which traveled all over greater L.A. on day-trips to various attractions, that, literally no matter where we would go, we would see the modest and but distinctive graffiti initials RDB marking walls and tunnels etc. everywhere from Orange County and throughout L.A. County to Ventura County and (just a sprinkling) in Santa Barbara County. Nothing fancy, nothing artistic, nothing but a simple and somewhat spidery RDB, occasionally with a dot after each letter. I'd be surprised if there weren't some out-of-the-way spots still displaying RDB. And I'd be surprised if, inadvertently, some photos in collections of L.A.'s streetscape did not show an RDB-sporting wall. There's no reason why anyone would notice it other than in an aggregative manner, suddenly realizing that RDB, in its modest way, was omnipresent. And if no one else noticed it, let this posting be your eternal memorial, RDB, whoever you are or were: You are not forgotten.

ethereal_reality Sep 24, 2018 11:27 PM

I just realized there's a second photograph from the same seller. ( same roll of film?)

SUNSET BOULEVARD CALIFORNIA~VIEW OF PACIFIC OCEAN PHOTO 1939

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/SuZGVM.jpg
EBAY

I'd say that is probably Bernheimers in the distance, right?


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/QTO3Nd.jpg
santa monica library

Bernheimer Residence at the Bernheimer Japanese Gardens in Pacific Palisades, Calif. [1935]




__

Handsome Stranger Sep 25, 2018 1:41 AM

I watched a quirky little noir called Without Warning! the other night. Could be the first movie about a serial killer, I think. It's not a great film, but it is utterly fascinating because there are location shots galore. The story starts off at a ramshackle house perilously close to the edge of a hillside overlooking the Arroyo Seco Parkway.

https://i.postimg.cc/5932JGpg/ww01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/02X5MwTJ/ww02.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/7ZCHgL4t/ww03.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GpGb5SHk/ww04.jpg

There's a recurring character that lives near the killer, a little girl whose doll has a detached head. [SYMBOLISM!!!!!!] The bridge in the background is probably Park Row Drive.

https://i.postimg.cc/9QvW1jFm/ww05.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/DZh7kdXR/ww06.jpg

The killer drives away over unpaved roads in what must be the same neighborhood location. Could this be Chavez Ravine?

https://i.postimg.cc/85bN1Jdc/ww07.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/T1YGhdQ9/ww08.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/d3HFybxK/ww09.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/c1X02345/ww10.jpg

I'll post more frame grabs if anyone is interested. There's a thrilling scene shot at The Stack before it opened. And my apologies if this movie has been discussed here previously.

ethereal_reality Sep 25, 2018 1:55 AM

:previous: Very interesting Handsome Stranger. I don't believe I have ever heard about that movie.





Here's one more 'mystery' location for this evening.


"VINTAGE 1922 YE STEWART INN ON FOOTHILL BLVD. LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA OLD PHOTO"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/rHr78y.jpg
EBAY

"Ye Stewart Inn" seems vaguely familiar to me. Does it ring a bell for anyone else? (I searched NLA & didn't find any previous posts)




but wait! There's a snapshot of the interior as well.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/q4XYss.jpg
EBAY

I thought this was a piano at first, but now I believe it's just a table.

__

BillinGlendaleCA Sep 25, 2018 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8325151)
Thanks for figuring out the location BillinGlendaleCA.




I happened upon this [somewhat of a] 'mystery' photograph earlier today on EBAY

"PACIFIC PALISADES CALIFORNIA~AUTOMOBILE ON SUNSET BOULEVARD PHOTO 1939"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/Qp3xxH.jpg
EBAY

There aren't too many clues in this one....just a couple houses in the distance. (the home visible behind the car appears to be fairly LARGE)

Just think how large that tree is today. (if it's still there)

It's where Sunset turns into Santa Ynez canyon and goes around the Self Realization Center and out to PCH. I'll include screen caps from Google Maps once Flickr decides to cooperate.

ETA: Flickr has decided to cooperate...Here's the Google map view with Sunset at the bottom:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1960/...ea4390ac_b.jpger_mystery_20180924_03 by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

and here's the street view from roughly where the photo was taken. Yes the trees have grown a bit:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1975/...dd21cd58_b.jpger_mystery_20180924_02 by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

After I saw the er's photo, I knew it could be only one of two places on Sunset: either this location or where the road turns and goes down the hill by Will Rogers State Historical Park.

Handsome Stranger Sep 25, 2018 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 8325336)
It's where Sunset turns into Santa Ynez canyon and goes around the Self Realization Center and out to PCH. I'll include screen caps from Google Maps once Flickr decides to cooperate.

Postimages.org is a worthy alternative. It's free and one needn't register.

Flyingwedge Sep 25, 2018 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8325266)
I watched a quirky little noir called Without Warning! the other night. Could be the first movie about a serial killer, I think. It's not a great film, but it is utterly fascinating because there are location shots galore. The story starts off at a ramshackle house perilously close to the edge of a hillside overlooking the Arroyo Seco Parkway.


The killer drives away over unpaved roads in what must be the same neighborhood location. Could this be Chavez Ravine?

https://i.postimg.cc/85bN1Jdc/ww07.jpg

I'll post more frame grabs if anyone is interested. There's a thrilling scene shot at The Stack before it opened.

Thank you for the screen grabs, Handsome Stranger. More would be great! I think the image above looks NE at
Solano Canyon and the Solano Avenue School. The school is at top center of your image and the one below, next
to the 110 Freeway. Your screen grab appears to have been taken up on Spruce Street when it still had homes:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psyuqpfmcw.jpg

Google

Flyingwedge Sep 25, 2018 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8325151)

I happened upon this [somewhat of a] 'mystery' photograph earlier today on EBAY

"PACIFIC PALISADES CALIFORNIA~AUTOMOBILE ON SUNSET BOULEVARD PHOTO 1939"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/Qp3xxH.jpg
EBAY

There aren't too many clues in this one....just a couple houses in the distance. (the home visible behind the car appears to be fairly LARGE)

Just think how large that tree is today. (if it's still there)


Hey now we have photos taken from almost the same exact spot in 1939 and 1952. The '39 shot was taken just a little farther east:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 7809517)

"Sunset Blvd. near it's terminus with PCH, Pacific Palisades."

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/128...922/suPhZT.jpg
paul delameter, flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/12210945@N02/


_


BillinGlendaleCA Sep 25, 2018 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8325346)
Postimages.org is a worthy alternative. It's free and one needn't register.

Thanks, I already use Flickr for my photography stuff, but that might be useful for images like these.

Scott Charles Sep 25, 2018 6:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinthor (Post 8325153)
Addressing those who were in greater L.A. in the mid to late 60s: Do the letters RDB mean anything to you?

It became something of a joke in my family, which traveled all over greater L.A. on day-trips to various attractions, that, literally no matter where we would go, we would see the modest and but distinctive graffiti initials RDB marking walls and tunnels etc. everywhere from Orange County and throughout L.A. County to Ventura County and (just a sprinkling) in Santa Barbara County. Nothing fancy, nothing artistic, nothing but a simple and somewhat spidery RDB, occasionally with a dot after each letter. I'd be surprised if there weren't some out-of-the-way spots still displaying RDB. And I'd be surprised if, inadvertently, some photos in collections of L.A.'s streetscape did not show an RDB-sporting wall. There's no reason why anyone would notice it other than in an aggregative manner, suddenly realizing that RDB, in its modest way, was omnipresent. And if no one else noticed it, let this posting be your eternal memorial, RDB, whoever you are or were: You are not forgotten.

Are you saying that RDB was painted by a tagger, Odinthor? If so, that person really got around!

When I was in junior high school, there was a tagger who would paint “Hef-T” on everything. My buddy and I would see it so often it became a bit of a running joke with us. But Hef-T had only most of North Hollywood covered, not four counties! :eek:

Scott Charles Sep 25, 2018 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8325266)
I watched a quirky little noir called Without Warning! the other night. Could be the first movie about a serial killer, I think. It's not a great film, but it is utterly fascinating because there are location shots galore. The story starts off at a ramshackle house perilously close to the edge of a hillside overlooking the Arroyo Seco Parkway.

https://i.postimg.cc/5932JGpg/ww01.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/02X5MwTJ/ww02.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/7ZCHgL4t/ww03.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GpGb5SHk/ww04.jpg

There's a recurring character that lives near the killer, a little girl whose doll has a detached head. [SYMBOLISM!!!!!!] The bridge in the background is probably Park Row Drive.

https://i.postimg.cc/9QvW1jFm/ww05.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/DZh7kdXR/ww06.jpg

The killer drives away over unpaved roads in what must be the same neighborhood location. Could this be Chavez Ravine?

https://i.postimg.cc/85bN1Jdc/ww07.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/T1YGhdQ9/ww08.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/d3HFybxK/ww09.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/c1X02345/ww10.jpg

I'll post more frame grabs if anyone is interested. There's a thrilling scene shot at The Stack before it opened. And my apologies if this movie has been discussed here previously.

Great photos, Handsome Stranger! Thanks for sharing them!

ethereal_reality Sep 25, 2018 3:36 PM

'mystery' dining spot

"top floor, Los Angeles skyscraper, 1970s"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/dxbCz1.jpg
old file

Are there enough clues to figure out the location of this fine dining destination?

__

odinthor Sep 25, 2018 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8325466)
Are you saying that RDB was painted by a tagger, Odinthor? If so, that person really got around!

When I was in junior high school, there was a tagger who would paint “Hef-T” on everything. My buddy and I would see it so often it became a bit of a running joke with us. But Hef-T had only most of North Hollywood covered, not four counties! :eek:

Yep, the dedication of RDB was astounding. I'm surprised that his bookkeeper didn't notice the epic figure on RDB's ledger sheets for line item: Spray Paint, and pose a query.

ethereal_reality Sep 25, 2018 7:13 PM

:previous: I wasn't in L.A. in the 60s or 70s but I checked into the mysterious RDB too.

The only item I found was the RDB-Research and Development Board (a unit vaguely attached to the CIA and the Department of Defense)
If I were a conspiracy theorist I might think the tags were a clandestine form of communication.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...922/E4RrpR.jpg
archive

Odinthor, did your family happen to notice any swarthy looking characters in trenchcoats near the tags?


;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.