SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=170279)

Earl Boebert Sep 15, 2020 3:26 AM

Looks more like an aqueduct than a railroad to me.

Cheers,

Earl

Scott Charles Sep 15, 2020 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Boebert (Post 9041956)
Looks more like an aqueduct than a railroad to me.

Cheers,

Earl

You might be correct about that, Earl Boebert - it does look kind of small.

Scott Charles Sep 15, 2020 3:52 AM

Railway road from Blade Runner?
 
This is footage from Blade Runner, taken from deleted scenes. I've compiled several different clips in the video below.

This is NOT the Stanley Kubrick footage borrowed from The Shining - you can clearly see Harrison Ford's Blade Runner car in the footage.

Blade Runner was filmed in Los Angeles, primarily at Warner Brothers - so I'm guessing this was probably shot somewhere in the LA area..?

Notice that there is some kind of railway running along the top of the screen.

Anybody have any idea where this was filmed?

Video Link

BulletBob Sep 15, 2020 12:25 PM

Blade Runner Scene
 
Hello Scott

The railroad seen in the cut scenes is actually a water flume. You can see at :50 where the water has moved into a conduit. As for the location, from the brush which had not burned in quite while and prime for a blaze, it is Southern California but where I am not sure. Some flumes were to created to convey water for a steep final drop into a hydroelectric plant and others were just to capture water for irrigation. I will have to dig around a bit as the roadside flume and conduit will make it easy to spot in satellite pics.

I rarely post but of late was doing research on some SoCal hydro locations using satellite pics. I always read and greatly enjoy your posts and your family stories.

Bob

LA Kitty Kat Sep 15, 2020 4:56 PM

Blade Runner clip
 
This is a complete guess, but it looks like San Francisquito Canyon to me.

HossC Sep 15, 2020 6:38 PM

:previous:

The deleted Blade Runner clip was filmed on Mineral King Road, Three Rivers - see here.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...lKingRoad1.jpg
Google Maps

There's a fun circa 1989 film of Huell Howser walking some nearby flumes at blogs.chapman.edu.

BulletBob Sep 15, 2020 7:32 PM

Thanks HossC!

You were on the money. I had not yet gone that far north. I had a summer job with the USFS in the summers of my college years and the area of my post had hydro plants and the associated conduits and plants but no flumes. It was always fascinating to investigate, listen to water rushing and whine of the dynamos on a warm summer evening.

The Huell Howser link only touched on how remarkably old and durable and well thought out those facilities were . After the 1969 floods, one of the hydro plants near my USFS station was thoroughly chewed up and the conduits busted up.

I am glad you knew the location . The knowledge and investigative skills of the LA Noir site members continually amazes me as does the whole site. It is the most genteel of all the sites I visit which is a credit to all members.

Thanks Again, Bob

riichkay Sep 15, 2020 10:17 PM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
Getty/Ed Ruscha

An elaborate film promotion constructed adjacent to the Cinerama Dome, 1966.



https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Martin Pal Sep 15, 2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichkay (Post 9042857)
An elaborate film promotion constructed adjacent to the Cinerama Dome, 1966.
_________________________________________________________________


:previous:

I am both intrigued and somewhat alarmed by that.

Arch2000 Sep 16, 2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichkay (Post 9042857)
https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
Getty/Ed Ruscha

An elaborate film promotion constructed adjacent to the Cinerama Dome, 1966.


https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds


Hollywood has always been good at self-promotion. For the movie IT, the empty lot at Hollywood & Vine was transformed to a full-sized, walk-through haunted house:

https://www.seanpedeflous.com/wp-con...8/it-house.jpg
https://www.seanpedeflous.com/portfo...use-hollywood/

and again last year for IT: Chapter 2, it was turned into a carnival funhouse:

https://i.redd.it/f2m00cy684f31.jpg
Reddit

The Cinerama Dome got in on the fun too, although not quite as much:

https://dronewrx.com/wp-content/uplo...-1030x1030.jpg
dronewrx.com

Scott Charles Sep 16, 2020 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulletBob (Post 9042152)
Hello Scott

The railroad seen in the cut scenes is actually a water flume. You can see at :50 where the water has moved into a conduit. As for the location, from the brush which had not burned in quite while and prime for a blaze, it is Southern California but where I am not sure. Some flumes were to created to convey water for a steep final drop into a hydroelectric plant and others were just to capture water for irrigation. I will have to dig around a bit as the roadside flume and conduit will make it easy to spot in satellite pics.

I rarely post but of late was doing research on some SoCal hydro locations using satellite pics. I always read and greatly enjoy your posts and your family stories.

Bob

Thank you, BulletBob - that's mighty kind of you! :) Very interesting information!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9042622)
:previous:

The deleted Blade Runner clip was filmed on Mineral King Road, Three Rivers - see here.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...lKingRoad1.jpg
Google Maps

There's a fun circa 1989 film of Huell Howser walking some nearby flumes at blogs.chapman.edu.

Amazing, HossC, and thank you! How were you able to figure out the location???

Great Huell Howser clip, by the way! I miss that guy, badly...

ethereal_reality Sep 16, 2020 6:20 PM

.
mystery location

I happened upon this fine looking rppc a few days ago on eBay


California Home of A. Duperrault ...Los Angeles, Cal.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/gJ9PY9.jpg

I cropped this one a bit to reduce the slant. ........................................................................................................................................................................................................I couldn't decide which one to use.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/AE7Z7b.jpg
eBay

There's a hand-written arrow pointing to one of the windows. . .(perhaps a visitor pointing out the guest room) :shrug:


A. Duperrault moved & moved & moved & moved.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/AGOTAT.jpg
lapl

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/YwDrTv.jpg
lapl

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/GT7p7E.jpg
lapl

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/mfuQGC.jpg
lapl

So how do I decide which address is the correct one?


Easy.

I didn't realize until after I looked through the directories that the address is on the back! :duh


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/27Qd4f.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/EfSuwA.jpg

Adolphe Duperrault hasn't previously appeared in the thread. Does anyone know who he was?


For search purposes:.....Adolphe Duperrault..... 434 Lake Street..... Los Angeles
.

Arch2000 Sep 16, 2020 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9038167)
Here's 420 S Broadway on the far left of this 1928 image. The sign above "Glick & Co" says "Entrance 420 Take Elevator".

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...SBroadway1.jpg
USC Digital Library

420 S Broadway appears to have been called the Winstel Building. The 1924 CD lists its businesses as H Glick & Co, milliners, Martin Schaefer & Co, signs, Everlasto Luggage Shop and Miller's Photo Service. Signs for a couple of these were still present in 1928 (above). I can't see any indication of residential accommodation. There's a demo permit dated 9/21/1955 for 420-422 S Broadway.


Thanks (again) Hoss for your help. I've gone down the rabbit hole of the City Directories, looking up every family name I can think of.

Yes, 420 S Broadway was a commercial property, and my great-great grandfather must have used it as a mailing address. One of the businesses you listed is in the same industry as what he worked in on the east coast, so perhaps he had a business relationship with them. I found his residence address in the city directories for 1923-1925, a little house which is right adjacent to the 10 freeway, which wouldn't have been there back when he lived there.

By some miracle, it's the last house before the freeway, and survives to this day.

ethereal_reality Sep 16, 2020 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9040038)

This negative was just posted on eBay

..................................................The Steve Allen Playhouse.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/iusOxS.jpg

Located at 1228 Vine Street.




Here's a second image. . . .this time in color.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/WeEh0p.jpg
nick faltos / flickr







As a reminder:

The Steve Allen Playhouse was initially the La Mirada Theater (located on the southeast corner of Vine St. & La Mirada) and for many years it was known as the Filmarte Theater. (shown below on the right)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/OzGMAF.jpg
losangelestheaters This is a repeat image on NLA



The famous Hollywood Ranch Market was next door (to the north / across La Mirada) so Steve Allen would often do skits at the market. (or, as you can see, in front of the market)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/IXwb3h.jpg
hauntedstudio




In this next one I think he's doing a spoof of the AJAX commercial.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/wkRuFM.jpg
hauntedstudio






https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/MAuLDe.jpg
martinostimemachine

I was born in 1960 so I don't remember The New Steve Allen Show. (or for that matter the original Steve Allen Show)




I'll end with this sweet snapshot from Alison's site.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/JZlKIX.jpg
martinostimemachine

In front of 1228 Vine Street.



.

Martin Pal Sep 16, 2020 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch2000 (Post 9042964)
Hollywood has always been good at self-promotion. For the movie IT, the empty lot at Hollywood & Vine was transformed to a full-sized, walk-through haunted house.
_________________________________________________________________


Arch2000, from your two photos of that corner, I wondered why the Redbury Hotel would've painted the building a teal color and so I learned that the Redbury Hotel...

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...mage-asset.png

...has shuttered.

And last year a new private or semi-private place called h. Club LA opened...

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6a&oe=5F86BE5B

...and has shuttered:

Hollywood membership spot H Club has closed permanently, telling its customers via email that “we have made the very difficult decision
to close h Club Los Angeles."
— May 27, 2020.

I guess it was open less than a year and the current situation led to its closing.
There wasn't even a good front photo of the teal exterior online that I could find.
But there are quite a few photos of the extravagant interiors.

The last GSV image of the front/exterior dated April 2019 would've been great, but, well, take a look: ;)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/62...4d-118.3264729

odinthor Sep 16, 2020 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9043696)
.
mystery location

I happened upon this fine looking rppc a few days ago on eBay


California Home of A. Duperrault ...Los Angeles, Cal.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/gJ9PY9.jpg

I cropped this one a bit to reduce the slant. ........................................................................................................................................................................................................I couldn't decide which one to use.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/AE7Z7b.jpg
eBay

There's a hand-written arrow pointing to one of the windows. . .(perhaps a visitor pointing out the guest room) :shrug:


[...]

So how do I decide which address is the correct one?


Easy.

I didn't realize until after I looked through the directories that the address is on the back! :duh


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/27Qd4f.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/EfSuwA.jpg

Adolphe Duperrault hasn't previously appeared in the thread. Does anyone know who he was?


For search purposes:.....Adolphe Duperrault..... 434 Lake Street..... Los Angeles
.

e_r, mentions of Duperrault are minimal in the LA Times and LA Herald (mostly advertising renting his properties). But here he is:

https://i.postimg.cc/TPcxzMvy/duperrault.jpg
find a grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...phe-duperrault

Duperrault appears to have sold his property on Sherbrooke St. in Montreal, Canada, in 1902 (quoth Montreal's The Gazette 2/22/1902), perhaps about to come to Los Angeles. At least, he's in L.A. by March, 1903, and residing (with wife) in the Natick House hotel at that time (says the L.A. Herald of 3/13/1903).

The house at 434 N. Lake seems to be gone; but . . . it appears that the same steps up remain:

https://i.postimg.cc/s2bPC8Pr/434NLake.jpg
gsv

I believe we've been on this stretch before, as I find the close-by 446 North Lake in my files . . .

https://i.postimg.cc/BvfQWB8z/446-NLake-GSV.jpg
gsv

. . . but I can't seem to find the posting . . . :???: . . . so maybe I decided not to make that posting after all . . .

HossC Sep 16, 2020 9:40 PM

:previous:

I too remember seeing 446 N Lake Street on NLA, and probably the little courtyard next door too, but I also failed to find them.

BTW. The property sites given a build date of 1916 for the current 434 N Lake Street house. That's just five years after Mr Duperrault was there.

rick m Sep 16, 2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9043939)
:previous:

I too remember seeing 446 N Lake Street on NLA, and probably the little courtyard next door too, but I also failed to find them.

BTW. The property sites given a build date of 1916 for the current 434 N Lake Street house. That's just five years after Mr Duperrault was there.


Rick M. writes---
Well I did post my own photo of this glorious apartment at Lake street -- About eight years ago-- no one commented about it as I remember---!!

Flyingwedge Sep 16, 2020 11:16 PM

446 N. Lake
 
:previous:

I couldn't find your post, rick, but here's one from five years ago. The building at 446 N. Lake was moved there from 624 S. Alvarado in 1924.

JimCraig Sep 16, 2020 11:28 PM

[QUOTE=odinthor;9043887]e_r, mentions of Duperrault are minimal in the LA Times and LA Herald (mostly advertising renting his properties). But here he is:

https://i.postimg.cc/TPcxzMvy/duperrault.jpg
find a grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...phe-duperrault





Adolphe Duperrault died June 2, 1923 at the age of 76. He is buried in the Los Angeles Odd Fellows Cemetery under a tombstone that says:

Adolphe Duperrault
of Canada
Oct 8, 1846 - June 2, 1923


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.