SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   NEW YORK | The Empire State Building | 1,472' Pinnacle | 103 FLOORS | 1931 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149360)

jodelli Jun 8, 2008 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamatzu (Post 3599728)
You can't spell "Freedom" without "Starbucks"!

...Actually, You can. But Starbucks would like you to believe otherwise.

You can spell 'brats suck' though. But I like them with mustard.

America 117 Jun 8, 2008 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech (Post 3582121)
(But keep the antenna!! It's become too much of the "iconic" image of the ESB to be gotten rid of!)

your right it would be weird to see the esb without an antenna again
but threre is alot of junk on the tower on the esb that needs to be taken off!

America 117 Jun 8, 2008 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodelli (Post 3599873)
You can spell 'brats suck' though. But I like them with mustard.

:haha: :haha: :haha:
LOL

NYguy Jun 8, 2008 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffy (Post 3599840)
id never realized the rents at the ESB were so cheap compared to other spots in Midtown. Those office spaces should have been eaten up like hotcakes. There is an astonishing 594k sq feet of office space open

The ESB hasn't been in the top tier of office space for years, renting primarily to smaller tenants. But over the past couple of years, as tenants have moved out, management has been consolidating spaces to create larger blocks of space. Together with the upgrade, this will bring the classic back.

Scruffy Jun 9, 2008 12:19 AM

but thats my point. sure its not grade A so its not going to be getting financial firms or anything, but its an icon, and its cheap compared to a lot of manhattan. what shape can it be in that its having trouble filling 500k?

Lecom Jun 9, 2008 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolCzech (Post 3582121)
I'm not sure, but I would just LOVE to see the Mast restored to its pristine condition! (But keep the antenna!! It's become too much of the "iconic" image of the ESB to be gotten rid of!)

The antenna is too much of a cash cow to get rid of it, especially since the WTC went down and all the broadcasting companies went back to the ESB. Before 9/11 the antenna had only one tenant left, but a few months after the tragedy the tenant count was up to 14 or so, crowding maintenance space again and bringing the antenna to its full capacity.

NYguy Jun 10, 2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scruffy (Post 3601174)
but thats my point. sure its not grade A so its not going to be getting financial firms or anything, but its an icon, and its cheap compared to a lot of manhattan. what shape can it be in that its having trouble filling 500k?

Depends on what you mean. Are you talking smaller tenants or the type looking for "larger" blocks of space. They've had a policy there for a while of trying to consolidate space when smaller tenants move out.

NYguy Jun 10, 2008 12:00 PM

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Taylor...g.-a0179535685

Real Estate Weekly

Taylor moves digs to Empire State Building.

May 21, 2008

Taylor, which handles lifestyle, sports and entertainment public relations, has recently moved from 14 Penn Plaza to the 38th floor of the Empire State Building. Aragon Construction, a leading New York City-based general contracting, construction management and consulting firm, completed a full-floor build-out for the 25,000 s/f space.

Aragon's Michael Trocchia served as project manager for the build-out, which included construction of walls, ceilings, and floors as well as extensive millwork, specialty lighting, new AC units, plumbing systems, bathrooms, as well as a video production, editing and satellite broadcast studio.

"This was an exciting project because it began as a large raw, demoed space with 30-year old bathrooms and old machine rooms," says Trocchia. "In its place, we have built a showplace for Taylor in New York's most famous office building."

The perimeter of the floor is comprised of glass front offices and conference rooms that facilitate and encourage a creative environment. The design also features a reception area with mosaic tile walls and a generously sized serving bar and sink suitable for town hall meetings and entertaining. A lounge, living room space and open pantry provide additional seating options, while the non-public areas in four quadrants have open workstations. Millwork walls with wooden display boxes not only serve as storage, but also a gallery for client items and products. Materials, such as limestone and glass tile were integrated with wood and carpeting throughout to create a classic modern, yet light aesthetic.

Taylor is one of the first office tenants to take advantage of one full floor. An open and collaborative environment was created in the space that can be used as a model for other corporate tenants in the building. The glass front offices without doors, in addition to the various breakout areas, will offer several opportunities for communication between the company's leadership and the workforce.

The Taylor build-out is one of many projects Aragon is completing, or has completed, in the Empire State Building. Aragon recently renovated the building's lobby, new observation deck, entire 25th floor and is currently upgrading a retail space on the ground level, to be occupied by Starbucks.

erbsenzaehler Jun 22, 2008 12:29 AM

Interesting shots. Many thanks for uploading!

Would like to see something of the lobby and some offices or other interiors. Anyone?

PS: I'm registered since ages, but that's my 1st post over here. So I claim a warm welcome! :D

Dac150 Jun 22, 2008 12:54 AM

For the first time in my life last Saturday I went to the top of the ESB. Short of it raining, the view was as amazing as I anticipated. I was on of the last to be allowed on the outside deck being that at the time it was drizzling, but within a few minutes the thunder storms rumbled in. So I was able to experience the view from outside only for a few minutes. I stuck around indoors for a few minutes because it got too cloudy to the point where I could barley make out the WR Grace Building.

Let me tell you though did I underestimate the lines. I was absolutely amazed on the amount of lines, let alone the total wait. There was a line to take a ‘souvenir’ picture, to get tickets, go through security, the elevators. Then they drop you on the 80th floor, and sure enough another line. The way down too was also a hike. You had to go through gift shops, etc….

All in all though it was worth the few minutes I got to see of the view. I’ll probably make my way up there again when I know for sure the weather will be enjoyable. It was quite the experience though.

As far as the lobby goes there are signs of renovation everywhere. Scaffolding basically covers the lobby on 5th. Security was also tight. All the employees were sporting the new uniforms and there were NYPD officers on Fifth with the M16’s. I did feel safe though and I was glad to see all the security.

My advice, only visit the ESB obsevation deck if you have time to spare. Be prepeared to wait and wait long.

[SP]Neo Jun 22, 2008 2:21 PM

thanks for these tips dac150. i'll visit nyc this october...will they still work in there until then?

Dac150 Jun 22, 2008 3:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [SP]Neo (Post 3628854)
thanks for these tips dac150. i'll visit nyc this october...will they still work in there until then?

You know I don't know for sure. What you can do is visit their Web-site and get a sense of when they'll finish up. That or there's a thread in the New York forum regarding the renovation.

I say go for it though. As long as you have time to spare the view is very worth it.:yes:

erbsenzaehler Jun 22, 2008 5:47 PM

So when's the whole renovation going to be finished?

Are they doing anything to the facade, anyway? It always seemed pretty ugly up close to me, since it's concrete or something. They could paint it like limestone, sandstone or just white. It wouldn't change the character of the building but improve its appearance.

The facade of Chrysler Building (e.g.) looks way classier.

scalziand Jun 22, 2008 8:45 PM

The Empire State Building is clad in limestone.

erbsenzaehler Jun 22, 2008 11:12 PM

Well, then it should like it is. Either it got pretty dirty or a bad painting some decades ago, since it looks like filthy concrete now.
They should clean it, thoroughly.

NYguy Jun 23, 2008 1:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler (Post 3629432)
Well, then it should like it is. Either it got pretty dirty or a bad painting some decades ago, since it looks like filthy concrete now.
They should clean it, thoroughly.

Actually, it doesn't look filthy. I always take photos of the ESB, and never once have I thought, "how filthy"....

erbsenzaehler Jun 23, 2008 3:22 PM

Fine. It still doesn't look like proper limestone. ;) This facade (Cathedral of Learning, Oakland) does. They should clean Big Apples' main landmark.

Anyway, when is the ESB renovation goin to be finished?

Dac150 Jun 23, 2008 3:37 PM

Limestone is limestone. I really don't see where you're coming from, and I wouldn't look at the ESB and have the word 'filthy' cross my mind. Keep in mind how old the building is and how materials age over time. That doesn't brand them as filthy, but aged. Regardless the ESB, while not maybe as elegant as Chrysler, sports a very iconic and classy facade.

I'm not saying this is a shot, but I think you're a tad off base in dividing something that is aged from something that is filthy.

And BTW, if you have ever seen a close-up shot of Chrysler's crown you'll see where I'm coming from. Chrysler has it's share of shown age too, you just need to look a little harder. As far as the renovation time-table, I'm not quite sure. I would guess a year, perhaps even more.

erbsenzaehler Jun 23, 2008 4:58 PM

I'm pretty much into architecture (esp. Art Decó and historism) and I know it's aged, ESB has seen 3 generations and will endure for another 3, even more.

But it didn't age pretty well. The limestone turned out concrete-like. I dunno why, it's not that usual. Earlier buildings aged better.
"Filthy" probably sounds a bit exaggerated, but I just wanted to accent my view.

It definetly needs to be cleaned. So I'm going to ask one more time, it's fun ;) - When is the ESB renovation goin to be finished?
And are they going to renovate the facade as well?

Dac150 Jun 23, 2008 5:21 PM

Well I'm pretty much into common sense, and to say the ESB has not aged well strikes me as rather puzzled and in a sense, taken back. To say the limestone has turned into a 'concrete' state makes no sense to me. The materials have not been subjected to weather conditions that would prompt the limestone to deteriorate.

Perhaps, if you haven’t already, you should make a trip to Manhattan and see the building first hand. While it’s been said reality differs from a photo, in the regard of the ESB, I can tell you first hand what you see is what you get, and in no sense would I say the façade has a ‘concrete’ look to it.

While you may have your own opinion, the architectural world would indeed disagree with it from a large stance. The Empire State Building can be considered the American staple of Art-Deco architecture.

I must say never in my life have I come across someone who thinks the ESB has not aged well. While you say the so called condition of the ESB in regards to age is ‘unusual’ that is also what I would consider your viewpoint; unusual.

Just simply throwing my two cents in.