SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

W.W. La Chance May 16, 2018 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8189755)
OK that sounds plausible. I cannot imagine they would take a whole floor but I can see them really wanting direct street access. It would be fantastic if they opened up some of the outside walls.

Really hope they open up to the street. I believe Midtown Plaza in Saskatoon is opening up the former Sears and its new tenants to 1st Ave.

Stormer May 16, 2018 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.W. La Chance (Post 8190067)
Really hope they open up to the street. I believe Midtown Plaza in Saskatoon is opening up the former Sears and its new tenants to 1st Ave.

THIS is criminal, but also easily fixed. These walls were obviously intended to be glass but Sears bricked them up before they ever opened the store.

Drofmab May 17, 2018 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8189855)
A possible new Shoppers large grocery store concept, or maybe a connected Loblaws family branded grocery store next to Shoppers. Either way, this would be brilliant and help support Downtown residents and spur new residents. Plus there already is the large Sears loading docks off Hamilton perfect for food delivery PLUS perfect grocery location close to the possible future over tracks bridge to the Railyard residential redevelopment area and Warehouse District.

I agree with this being a massive long-shot, but maybe a redevelopment of the first level by Loblaws - similar model as Canadian Tire's redevelopment of the Southland WalMart... Shoppers, Superstore (or maybe find an entrepreneur willing to bet on Downtown & get them to open an Independant, decreases Loblaws' risk); maybe buy a hotel/bar's off-sale license when they go up for grabs in Oct & open a Real Canadian Liquor Store (no full-line liquor stores downtown anymore, right?); and possibly a Joe Fresh?

Still strikes me as unlikely (e.g.: if they were to open a liquor store, they'd want it big box with a massive lot around it, not downtown)... but, frankly, so did a Superstore at Golden Mile; H&M; and Cdn Tire's complete redevelopment of Sland Walmart.

I'd put the idea above down as slightly more probable than Capital Pointe opening before my child has grandchildren.

one_brick_at_a_time May 17, 2018 10:16 PM

From the rumblings I have heard, it sounds pretty definite. But yes, I am sure planning stages are underway. But we all know there is a big push for a grocery store to be downtown.

Draftsman May 18, 2018 12:29 AM

I'd like to know who is pushing for a grocery store downtown. I live just south of the downtown core, and I work right downtown. Am I pushing for a grocery store? No. I don't think there is much of a demand at all. There have been a number of downtown grocery stores over the years, and they have all closed. Safeway was on 1800 block of Hamilton and then moved to the Regina Inn mall. Closed. There was a grocery store in the lower level of the Midtown Centre. Closed. There was a TomBoy store on Broad & 11th. Closed. There was a Foodland store on 11th & Lorne. Closed. And how about our very first Superstore? Closed. I would rather take a bus to Safeway on 13th or Mike's Independent on Broadway than schlep my groceries around downtown.

one_brick_at_a_time May 18, 2018 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8191795)
I'd like to know who is pushing for a grocery store downtown. I live just south of the downtown core, and I work right downtown. Am I pushing for a grocery store? No. I don't think there is much of a demand at all. There have been a number of downtown grocery stores over the years, and they have all closed. Safeway was on 1800 block of Hamilton and then moved to the Regina Inn mall. Closed. There was a grocery store in the lower level of the Midtown Centre. Closed. There was a TomBoy store on Broad & 11th. Closed. There was a Foodland store on 11th & Lorne. Closed. And how about our very first Superstore? Closed. I would rather take a bus to Safeway on 13th or Mike's Independent on Broadway than schlep my groceries around downtown.

Specifically for people who live or work downtown, there is no walkable close by option. Most of the examples you gave are far far in the past. Perhaps you don’t care, but I do. :) I am also sure when all those grocery stores existed, there was no push nor plan set to rejuvenate downtown or have a want to bring people downtown to work AND live.

yveseluj May 18, 2018 1:40 PM

Quote:

I'd like to know who is pushing for a grocery store downtown. I live just south of the downtown core, and I work right downtown. Am I pushing for a grocery store? No.

Oh cool, are we doing anecdotal evidence on a personal level and applying broadly? In that case, I work downtown, I care, therefore I think there is demand.

Regina Boi May 18, 2018 7:35 PM

Quote:

People shop downtown all the time on their lunch and coffee breaks. You are telling me that you would rather take a bus to Safeway and waste an hour, rather than carry a bag or two of milk, break and some veggies from the Cornwall to your office? Ok, that makes a lot of sense. :koko:

StealthGirl May 18, 2018 8:01 PM

The city has cited a plan (take it for what a city plan is worth) to have 10,000 people living downtown. A downtown grocery would be another aspect towards that, but maybe it's not effective to have a model exactly like the big freestanding ones and mall locations. Maybe the downtown model would be slightly different. Wasn't there a suggestion at one point that the Namerind Building (whether it ever breaks ground is another story) would have a grocery offering?

one_brick_at_a_time May 18, 2018 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 8192725)
The city has cited a plan (take it for what a city plan is worth) to have 10,000 people living downtown. A downtown grocery would be another aspect towards that, but maybe it's not effective to have a model exactly like the big freestanding ones and mall locations. Maybe the downtown model would be slightly different. Wasn't there a suggestion at one point that the Namerind Building (whether it ever breaks ground is another story) would have a grocery offering?

I think the Namerind would be an independent grocery store, which would then compliment the Cornwall Grocery location.

Drofmab May 21, 2018 6:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8192827)
I think the Namerind would be an independent grocery store, which would then compliment the Cornwall Grocery location.

Zero chance there will be two grocery stores downtown this decade. Zero.

Let’s check back in 2028 & see if I’m wrong.
(FTR: I’d love to be wrong, and to have 2 thriving grocery stores and a downtown population base to support them)

jadeddog May 22, 2018 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8191892)
Specifically for people who live or work downtown, there is no walkable close by option. Most of the examples you gave are far far in the past. Perhaps you don’t care, but I do. :) I am also sure when all those grocery stores existed, there was no push nor plan set to rejuvenate downtown or have a want to bring people downtown to work AND live.

I work downtown, and at least 3-4 times/week I stop off at the grocery on the way home to pick up a couple random items that the wife tells me to get. It would be *fantastic* if there was a grocery right downtown, I would be there multiple times per week.

Stormer May 22, 2018 6:05 PM

It is quite common for downtown proposals in many cities to say they plan to include a grocery store. It helps with marketing and municipal approvals. Saskatoon has one such proposal right now. Whether it actually happens is another story.

aberrant May 23, 2018 4:44 AM

Local and Fresh is planning to open a grocery store in the Warehouse District.

one_brick_at_a_time May 23, 2018 4:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 8196620)

Nice!!!!

Drofmab May 23, 2018 4:18 PM

Quote:

I think this will be great - this, along with Shoppers, are the types of grocery stores I believe downtown Regina can realistically support.

A Loblaws/Independent; Safeway/Sobeys; Save On; etc (ie: a full-line grocery store) in the heart of downtown (Broad/Albert/Sask/Victoria)? I just don't see it.

Even cities with decent residential population in the downtown core struggle to support a grocery store. People think they want it - it seems to be seen as a baseline requirement for people to live downtown, but the reality is that in most cases, it's cost-prohibitive. The store ends up charging a premium, and has a smaller selection of products (due to smaller downtown footprint/higher cost per sqft/perceived-monopoly)... so people travel to get the majority of their groceries. The downtown store ends up being for those 'honey - can you grab XX on your way home' items, and (depending on the store/neighbourhood) for some fresh produce.

I remember the one sad little grocery store in downtown Ottawa (an Independent) - it did the trick in a pinch, but selection was limited & prices were excessive... everyone I knew who lived downtown either drove or took the bus to the burbs for their weekly groceries. The downtown store was for things they forgot, or fresh ingredients picked-up on the day they were to be used.

Stormer May 23, 2018 4:34 PM

Quote:

Still in the former Weston Bakery?

aberrant May 23, 2018 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8197028)
Still in the former Weston Bakery?

Yes.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 8, 2018 6:50 AM

Anyone know what the store Foursight is? (Closest thing on Google was an Optical Shop).
Cornwall Centre’s property management site shows it going into the former Spareparts location on the main floor.

BrannyMuffin Jun 8, 2018 8:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8214285)
Anyone know what the store Foursight is? (Closest thing on Google was an Optical Shop).
Cornwall Centre’s property management site shows it going into the former Spareparts location on the main floor.

Google suggested “Foursight Supply Co.”. I couldn’t find much info about them, but their Twitter lists Kelowna, Fort Mac, Saskatoon, and Regina as locations. It also says it’s a “lifestyle accessories” retailer. I’m guessing that’s what it is. Basically the same type of retailer as Spareparts was.