SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223168)

Dan0myte Jun 3, 2019 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 8593576)
Costco is 100% planning their second location and has been eyeing Rochdale/the Bypass. It's still 5-10 years out, but Costco plays the long game.

Source?

jigglysquishy Jun 3, 2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan0myte (Post 8593717)
Source?

The multiple meetings I've had with Costco with them strategizing the second store.

JustACitizen Jun 5, 2019 7:06 PM

There was a rumour that the old Sears Home Furnishing location was becoming an adult rec room location? (the RecRoom) Is that the same chain owned by Cineplex that is in Edmonton, Toronto and other larger cities?

BrutallyDishonest2 Jun 6, 2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustACitizen (Post 8596265)
There was a rumour that the old Sears Home Furnishing location was becoming an adult rec room location? (the RecRoom) Is that the same chain owned by Cineplex that is in Edmonton, Toronto and other larger cities?

Nope.

jigglysquishy Jun 6, 2019 4:07 PM

It's a rec room, but a different company.

Stormer Jun 6, 2019 4:19 PM

I've heard there are some interesting ideas being floated for the Cornwall Sears as well. They do not involve retail.

Festivus Jun 6, 2019 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8597281)
I've heard there are some interesting ideas being floated for the Cornwall Sears as well. They do not involve retail.

What kind of ideas, if you can say? If not retail, some sort of entertainment? Manufacturing? lol

Stormer Jun 6, 2019 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8597394)
What kind of ideas, if you can say? If not retail, some sort of entertainment? Manufacturing? lol

Entertainment is probably a good description.

djforsberg Jun 6, 2019 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8597398)
Entertainment is probably a good description.

Casino related?

Festivus Jun 6, 2019 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 8597404)
Casino related?

Or some sort of theatre (stage, not film).

yveseluj Jun 6, 2019 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8597281)
I've heard there are some interesting ideas being floated for the Cornwall Sears as well. They do not involve retail.

Disappointing.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 6, 2019 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 8597605)
Or some sort of theatre (stage, not film).

Rumours of Globe using the space while the current building is redeveloped. But apparently the space is leased for something else so Globe couldn’t use it.

Dan0myte Jun 6, 2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 8597398)
Entertainment is probably a good description.

OHHH! GO KARTS! :righton:

Tyler19944 Jun 6, 2019 11:00 PM

I think in order for Cornwall to grow and prosper (or any mall really...) is for it to be more focused on entertainment. Dining/theatre (stage in this case) and entertainment like that could help.
It used to be that malls were a place to shop-eat crappy food in between shopping-shop again. I don't think that's really the case anymore, so good dining/entertainment experiences could help.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 7, 2019 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler19944 (Post 8597831)
I think in order for Cornwall to grow and prosper (or any mall really...) is for it to be more focused on entertainment. Dining/theatre (stage in this case) and entertainment like that could help.
It used to be that malls were a place to shop-eat crappy food in between shopping-shop again. I don't think that's really the case anymore, so good dining/entertainment experiences could help.

Already have Globe Theatre across the street. The one thing entertainment
-wise missing is a movie theatre. THAT is what is needed downtown.

Draftsman Jun 7, 2019 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 8597929)
Already have Globe Theatre across the street. The one thing entertainment
-wise missing is a movie theatre. THAT is what is needed downtown.

Years ago, all but one of our movie theatres were located downtown. I am in my early 60's, and I remember there were 16 first-run movie screens downtown (maybe 30 years ago?). There was a Famous Players 4-plex in the Cornwall Centre, so I would highly doubt that we would see a cinema coming back to the mall.

JustACitizen Jun 7, 2019 3:52 PM

The problem with anything Cornwall Centre wise is parking, who the heck wants to add the price of parking to their bill. You restrict a good portion of your business to free parking hours.

one_brick_at_a_time Jun 7, 2019 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustACitizen (Post 8598477)
The problem with anything Cornwall Centre wise is parking, who the heck wants to add the price of parking to their bill. You restrict a good portion of your business to free parking hours.

But that is generally what you have to do in any city and it’s downtown.

JustACitizen Jun 7, 2019 5:01 PM

point being any shop or theater in the suburbs has an advantage

Stormer Jun 7, 2019 5:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustACitizen (Post 8598589)
point being any shop or theater in the suburbs has an advantage

Well no, otherwise there would be no stores downtown. They each have their advantages and target markets. Many people live or work downtown, are staying at hotels or visiting other businesses downtown already. Some use transit or actually don't mind paying for parking like they must in every other downtown in the world.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.