SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Oct 24, 2019 8:18 PM

Here's an interesting business card from the early days of (20th century) Los Angeles. I saw this on eBay a few weeks ago.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/AKqgfg.jpg
eBay



Surprisingly there's a very cool photograph on the reverse side. ...(rare for a business card)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/7RiwXh.jpg
eBay

My guess is; ..They're tarring a road. :shrug:

Out of curiosity I've been trying to read the sign in the distance. . .so I enlarged it




but it's like looking through Mr. Magoo's glasses. :no:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/RnEaYO.jpg
ENLARGED / DARKENED / HIGH CONTRAST

Ummm...




..let's try this instead.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/oWu54b.jpg

It looks like the first word might end in a 'Y'.



For search purposes:...Fageol Trucks Farm Tractors - Ruddle & Mannillo Distributors - 231 233 North Los Angeles St. Phone Pico 4821 Robert J. Stahl

HossC Oct 24, 2019 8:55 PM

:previous:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8728299)

Out of curiosity I've been trying to read the sign in the distance. . .so I enlarged it

but it's like looking through Mr. Magoo's glasses. :no:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/RnEaYO.jpg
ENLARGED / DARKENED / HIGH CONTRAST

It looks like the first word might end in a 'Y'.

I think the first bit is "U.S. ARMY", but I can't make out any more.

ethereal_reality Oct 24, 2019 9:44 PM

I know that we have briefly discussed the GAY 90's restaurant at 157 N. La Cienega Blvd.

As a reminder. . .
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/rrJ1gZ.jpg

.........................Psst..those are real silver dollars on the bar. . . . . :previous:...(embedded in plastic)










..but have we heard of the Gay Inn?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/QFp0Oq.jpg
eBay
.....Gay Inn 710 1/2 South Hill St. Los Angeles


Souvenir photograph.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/yp2Omp.jpg

Taken on Feb. 1, 1945.

.

odinthor Oct 24, 2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8728299)

[...]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/RnEaYO.jpg
ENLARGED / DARKENED / HIGH CONTRAST

[...]

e_r, I'm hallucinating that I see:

GIANT BOOK [pilaster] INVE[NTORY]

ScottyB Oct 25, 2019 7:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8728299)



but it's like looking through Mr. Magoo's glasses. :no:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...921/RnEaYO.jpg
ENLARGED / DARKENED / HIGH CONTRAST

Ummm...



How about "U.S. ARMY -WASHINGTON LIVE(RY)"

ethereal_reality Oct 25, 2019 9:40 PM

Hmm.. U.S.ARMY.... perhaps the business car dates from the 1910s (1914 - 1918)
& I wonder if Washington Livery(?) was located somewhere along Washington Boulevard? (Culver City, perhaps) :shrug:

ethereal_reality Oct 25, 2019 10:47 PM

Railcar advertising the Ocean Park Pioneer's Barbecue. [no date]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/BRf4gU.jpg
eBay


I don't know if the railcar is part of a parade or just the railcar.

.

Those Who Squirm! Oct 26, 2019 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredH (Post 8662915)
Here is another place that is not around anymore.


https://i.postimg.cc/59vpKVZb/lion-country-3.jpg
My Photo




It lasted until about 1984 , when they realized that there was more profit in building expensive houses.

Profit, and "progress" trump everything else, don't they?

Those Who Squirm! Oct 26, 2019 4:04 AM

For those of us here who have been participating in the various L.A. related Facebook groups, has anyone else been noticing that FB is taking down more and more of the images you share?

Recently I shared an early 20th-Century image of Republic Street west of Main, together with a Goole Earh screengrab of the same street. These images stayed up a couple of days, long enough for me to get far more reactions than I usually ever get. And then--my images were gone.

It's very frustrating; if we can't share vintage photos on FB then there's really no point to all those FB groups like Photos Of L.A. and Images and Memories of L.A.

nealberke Oct 26, 2019 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm! (Post 8729911)
For those of us here who have been participating in the various L.A. related Facebook groups, has anyone else been noticing that FB is taking down more and more of the images you share?

Recently I shared an early 20th-Century image of Republic Street west of Main, together with a Goole Earh screengrab of the same street. These images stayed up a couple of days, long enough for me to get far more reactions than I usually ever get. And then--my images were gone.

It's very frustrating; if we can't share vintage photos on FB then there's really no point to all those FB groups like Photos Of L.A. and Images and Memories of L.A.

I don't know if FB is censoring posts. I suspect FB is collapsing under it's own weight. It just has more traffic than it can handle and some things are just deleted or never posted.

HenryHuntington Oct 26, 2019 6:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8729660)
Railcar advertising the Ocean Park Pioneer's Barbecue. [no date]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/BRf4gU.jpg

I don't know if this a parade or just the railcar.

.

___________________

I'm pretty sure that this is the Ocean Beach district of San Diego. As for dates, San Diego Electric Railway opened its Ocean Beach Line in 1910. Work motor 021 shown in the photo was built in 1912, so that's the earliest boundary in our range.

if the photo was taken in Ocean Beach, it likely would've been on Bacon St. at or near Newport Ave. A quick Googlemobile tour of the neighborhood failed to yield a match for the building shown in the photo, however. Sorry I can't be more help.

CaliNative Oct 26, 2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredH (Post 8662915)
Here is another place that is not around anymore.

https://i.postimg.cc/3xLZ0JDC/lion-country-4.png
My Photo

Lion country Safari was down in the Irvine/Laguna Hills area, off the 405 Freeway.

We were there around 1975-1976.



It was kind of fun. You drove around in your car, and the animals wandered around loose.

https://i.postimg.cc/59vpKVZb/lion-country-3.jpg
My Photo


You stayed in your car, unless you wanted to be part of lunch.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wbw8j7Ny/lion-country-2.jpg
My Photo



It lasted until about 1984 , when they realized that there was more profit in building expensive houses.

^^^

True. Houses were more profitable. PLus the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park near Escondido was catching on, and then there was the sad case of Bubbles the Hippo. During a rainy el nino year in the late '70s or early '80s (I can't remember the exact year), Bubbles escaped to a pond outside the park, and sadly perished (starvation?). The public outcry may have played a role in making the park less popular.

ethereal_reality Oct 26, 2019 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 8729971)
___________________

I'm pretty sure that this is the Ocean Beach district of San Diego. As for dates, San Diego Electric Railway opened its Ocean Beach Line in 1910.
Work motor 021 shown in the photo was built in 1912, so that's the earliest boundary in our range.

if the photo was taken in Ocean Beach, it likely would've been on Bacon St. at or near Newport Ave. A quick Googlemobile tour of the neighborhood
failed to yield a match for the building shown in the photo, however. Sorry I can't be more help.

No need to apoligize Henry..your rail knowledge is more than appreciated!
The information you give us usually leads to solving the mystery.

Although I'm somewhat disappointed, I think you're correct that the photograph shows Ocean Park in S.D.

While trying to locate more information, I happened upon the very nifty image of a port-holed Los Angeles & San Diego Beach Railway car at La Jolla Freight House.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/JEmvIr.jpg
sdhistory

Years ago we had relatives living in La Jolla. Since my family is from the midwest we thought La Jolla was pronounced La 'Jaw-La', instead of La 'Hoy-Ya'.

:duh.......
.

ethereal_reality Oct 26, 2019 3:32 PM

A 'mystery' pool somewhere in Los Angeles [1930s]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/kNbuLt.jpg
akg_images

I am completely stumped. Does this swimming pool look familiar to anyone?
I believe a residence is in the middle distance. & if you look closely, there is a tall building visible in the far distance.
The swimming pool itself obviously belongs to the building at far left.

Also too....what are they doing, Target Swimming? :shrug:

The information is in German, HERE

.

ethereal_reality Oct 26, 2019 3:58 PM

Here's one more mystery for this rainy Saturday afternoon. (I realize it might not be raining where you are)

This is supposedly the lobby of the Beverly Hilton Hotel in 1958.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/EUV8dX.jpg
akg_images

But the view out the window of that wintery tree and older building looks like anywhere but Los Angeles.

Oddly enough, I don't remember ever seeing a photograph of the Beverly Hilton lobby.

Once again the information is in German, HERE

Go minions, go! :superwhip
.

Martin Pal Oct 26, 2019 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8730079)
Years ago we had relatives living in La Jolla. Since my family is from the midwest we thought La Jolla was pronounced La 'Jaw-La', instead of La 'Hoy-Ya'.

You should hear how the Metro buses pronounce it when approaching La Jolla Ave. on Santa Monica Blvd. I can't even really repeat what I hear, It sounds like a chant.

FredH Oct 27, 2019 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8729660)
Railcar advertising the Ocean Park Pioneer's Barbecue. [no date]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/BRf4gU.jpg
eBay


I don't know if the railcar is part of a parade or just the railcar.

.



Seems to be quite a difference between the front of the railcar...

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw6S3JnQ/front.png
ebay

...and the rear of the railcar

https://i.postimg.cc/jjNmTFnL/rear.png
ebay

My vote goes for the front!

jungle jim Oct 27, 2019 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts (Post 7602180)
In Texas in the 60s the chain was called Kip's Big Boy. In New Mexico it was Vip's. They all used the fat boy in checkered overalls mascot. I have no idea why the name changes in different locales since they were all clearly of the same chain. The Texas restaurant was famous for its hot fudge sundaes.

In Western MA all the Big Boys were owned by the Abdow family thus they were call Abdow's Big Boys. Before they were awarded the Franchise they all were called HighBoys and instead of the redish sauce they were served with tartar sauce on the bun.

Godzilla Oct 28, 2019 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 4464867)
And for good measure I'll throw in a Thrifty A&P. (no address)



http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/692/la0801thriftya.jpg
usc digital archives

:previous: Same Thrifty (SW Corner of Fairfax and Sunset) SUnset looking west from Orange Grove. Villa Rosa Apts. to the left. Early '70s(?)


https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...27&oe=5E633621https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...27&oe=5E633621

ethereal_reality Oct 28, 2019 3:49 PM

.
'mystery' hotel or 'mystery' Hospital?

Seller's description:

VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH 1925-35 LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA HOTEL BUILDING OLD CARS PHOTO.... eBay

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/HfEK3D.jpg
eBay

Instead of a hotel (as stated by the seller) I think this building is possibly be a hospital.

I believe it might be the old Queen of Angels Hospital...or...umm..the Tuberculosis Annex at the County Hospital...or..ummm. . .:shrug:

.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.